BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

08-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Question "My Modes"?

I'm trying to get my head around what the engineers were thinking with the "My Modes" selections. The manual is not particularly helpful...

SPORT Mode: is as I would expect with a variety of chassis and performance related parameters which can be "adjusted" for PERSONAL preference...

PERSONAL mode: Curiously, this mode doesn't really provide any performance-related settings which can be adjusted for PERSONAL preference. It seems just to contain a few sensory (visual) items. (Why can't I set chassis firmness or steering feel here?)

EFFICIENT: OK, I get it. I can take whatever is here and live with it. But shouldn't we also be able to tweak a few settings here?

I am used to being able to all the same list of settings in all the avilable modes (IE: Using the M1 and M2 buttons). So, I can set my steering feel, chassis dampening, throttle, etc any way I want them in any of the available modes.

I realize this isn't a real M car, but shouldn't we be able to set ALL the same variables in PERSONAL mode as we have access to in SPORT mode?

Am I missing something? Maybe I don't understand the paradigm?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Am I missing something? Maybe I don't understand the paradigm?
It's not you, it's them.

BMW didn't put enough thought into these modes and their names (at least in English).

Given how it works, personal should have been named "normal" or "comfort". Sport should have been full sporty settings with no customization. Efficient I think is the only one that makes sense as is.

And added to the three should be a personal mode that allows you to customize the settings to your liking. Oh and the splash screen should go away by itself after a couple of seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
gman01
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

There are now 5 modes after the software update but no real explanation of the two new modes and the differences.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15598.00
      08-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
It's not you, it's them.

BMW didn't put enough thought into these modes and their names (at least in English).

Given how it works, personal should have been named "normal" or "comfort". Sport should have been full sporty settings with no customization. Efficient I think is the only one that makes sense as is.

And added to the three should be a personal mode that allows you to customize the settings to your liking. Oh and the splash screen should go away by itself after a couple of seconds.
So its not me? Only the SPORT mode is configurable? So, I can only configure my car for a SPORTY experience?

I guess my "PERSONAL" mode has to be the same as everyone elses PERSONAL mode?

I mean, I can live with this, but...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
FWIW there are more options available under all of these modes in the Head Unit software but they are not turned on. For example, there are personalisation settings under Efficient mode that are not shown on iDrive, as well as the ability to set any mode as startup mode. Unfortunately due to the hardware structure of the IX coding those option don’t really do anything since additional modules also need to be coded and those modules do not have publicly available software files.
Appreciate 2
slampert162.00
evanevery1115.50
      08-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #6
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

I wish you could make Sport the default, but that is not an option either.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman01 View Post
There are now 5 modes after the software update but no real explanation of the two new modes and the differences.
Is one of them "Transport Mode"?
Appreciate 4
CaboM41376.50
evanevery1115.50
deutsch1004020.50
      08-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No, that one is apparently automatically applied
Appreciate 2
sor3113.50
Paladin15598.00
      08-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
No, that one is apparently automatically applied
Not to be confused with "Transporter Mode" where Jason Statham shows up and jumps your iX across rooftops.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15598.00
volodp199.50
      08-19-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman01 View Post
Yep. "Expressive" and "Relax" mode. They both can be made startup modes, and have some sort of effect on climate control and the sunroof which can be modified, but otherwise unexplained. I think the mode additions are basically BMW playing to see what can be added, perhaps remotely. My main complaint with the modes is that I want the pretty colors to disappear soon after I select a mode and default back to my Home screen, not stay on permanently so I have to switch it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was playing with these modes yesterday.

The most ridiculous thing is the fake "engine sounds" pumped in to the cabin on some of the modes. They change...

For example, when you are running in "Expressive" mode, every time you press the "go pedal" you get a strum of violins and music instead of some electronic engine sound.

It's truly bizarre. You can't make this stuff up. Go try it!

I can't imagine how this stuff went down at the design team meeting. Someone thinking "People will love this. Soon all cars will do this. We can lead the way!". I can visualize others at the table, heads down, not wanting to ask "Why?". A real "Emporer has no clothes" vibe...

Anyway, it's pretty ridiculous (maybe even somewhat irritating). Try it (once) and then never do it again...
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004020.50
      08-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I was playing with these modes yesterday.

The most ridiculous thing is the fake "engine sounds" pumped in to the cabin on some of the modes. They change...

For example, when you are running in "Expressive" mode, every time you press the "go pedal" you get a strum of violins and music instead of some electronic engine sound.

It's truly bizarre. You can't make this stuff up. Go try it!

I can't imagine how this stuff went down at the design team meeting. Someone thinking "People will love this. Soon all cars will do this. We can lead the way!". I can visualize others at the table, heads down, not wanting to ask "Why?". A real "Emporer has no clothes" vibe...

Anyway, it's pretty ridiculous (maybe even somewhat irritating). Try it (once) and then never do it again...
They are unusual sounds for a car, for sure, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call them irritating. I have never been a fan of BMWs active sound design gimmick which pumps fake engine noise through the speakers. Why make an electric car sound like a v8?

Admittedly I have the iconic sounds off most the time but I did them on driving home in relax mode the other night. I had only that playing, no music, and it wasn’t an entirely unpleasant trip home.

Different strokes for different folks ;-)
Appreciate 2
JonoNZ684.00
Paladin15598.00
      08-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
And it has a gearshift and fake exhaust pipes.

Appreciate 1
deutsch1004020.50