10-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I didn't find a generic thread for discussing audio and/or video equipment so here we are.

I'm psyched to see Anthem refreshed their lineup of AV receivers ("AVRs") and surround preamp-processors ("pre-pros"). I'll definitely be upgrading my Anthem AVR to the new MRX-1140. This thing looks awesome! Some highlights I personally find appealing...

1. Separate subwoofer outputs (2) with independent phase and level for each. This is HUGE for people using multiple subwoofers. Note: the dual discrete subwoofer outputs feature is unique to the 1140 only.

2. Amplifier matrix. This allows any amp channel to power any output. This is great for those using an external amplifier for some channels. This lets you reassign those internal amplifier channels to another output. I am pessimistic it will be possible, but this capability could mean you could assign multiple amplifier channels to a single output channel. This functionality would allow bi-amplification using the internal amplifier. CRAZY cool if this turns out to be possible.

3. Roon support! The average Joe probably isn't paying for a service, to control their music streaming service, but Roon really is awesome for discovering new music and learning more about music you already know. It sounds really good too. https://roonlabs.com

4. AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect.

5. Not new, but I love that Anthem AVRs let you assign any video input to any audio input. This lets me watch my cable box video on my TV as I listen to a streaming audio (Spotify/Tidal) input. This is pretty unique.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...rx1140-740-540
Attached Images

10-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
That looks sweet. Perfect timing because I’m looking to upgrade my AVR and projector this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

On the bi-amping front, I did try it with a set of Carver TFM-25s feeding first a pair of Mirage M490s and then a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s. If I were to be a bit blunt, it wasn't that big of an improvement. At first, I thought there was but I really think it was more psychological.

To me, true bi-amping would require the passive crossovers to be taken out of the path from the amplifier output to the actual driver and the crossovers applied at the line level side before the signal hits the amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So I'm old school, I have a Synthesis Seamus Amp and Zu Omen Def speakers in my current set up.....I stream most of my music now. This pic is a temporary set up as we just move in and I needed tunes for the nightmare of unpacking......I like tubes for their warmth. I have to say that the acoustics in this log home are really nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

To me, true bi-amping would require the passive crossovers to be taken out of the path from the amplifier output to the actual driver and the crossovers applied at the line level side before the signal hits the amplifier.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Anything else is pretty much just marketing. Not to mention the efficiency increase when the passive crossover components are bypassed, and replaced with DSP before the amp/s.

With that said, 99% of people don't know how/want to spend the countless hours running sweeps through their speakers and taking measurements in order to dial in the active crossovers. That's for the remaining 1% of us who like to overcomplicate these things, all in the quest for the elusive, perfect system.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
zx10guy5139.00
      10-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
On the bi-amping front, I did try it with a set of Carver TFM-25s feeding first a pair of Mirage M490s and then a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s. If I were to be a bit blunt, it wasn't that big of an improvement. At first, I thought there was but I really think it was more psychological.

First, I agree... bi-amping is a small improvement in the best of cases... and doing so from an AVR definitely isn't the best of cases. However, if someone is already buying an AVR with this capability, it really only costs speaker cable and banana plugs... and those are in abundance for me personally.

As for the topic of active filtering... There's definitely an improvement in better damping and much less phase distortion by removing the passive filter, but there's other factors at play that need to be mentioned. There's absolutely still a real improvement in the load the amplifier sees when bi-amping a passive crossover loudspeaker; plus there's straight-up more power. Those are both always a good thing in my book. Another thing the novice (not speaking of you) should know is speaker designers manipulate the passive crossover when doing final "voicing" of a loudspeaker. So if someone removes the passive crossover network, they just sorta went back to a raw loudspeaker that would likely require extensive tuning just to get back to the performance of the original product. I personally never recommend doing this unless you're a hobbyist speaker builder.
      10-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Quote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Anything else is pretty much just marketing.
With respect; I disagree. Bi-amplifying a conventional loudspeaker allows splitting up the load across amplifiers/channels. I won't make the mistake of claiming "you're doubling power," but you're definitely making more power available; with less demands per amplifier/channel. This is clearly better... Now if the improvement is perceivable is an entirely different issue worthy of endless debate.
      10-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Hey Dog face,
Do you have any recommendations for a projector under 4g’s? I haven’t kept up for the past few years. My screen is 92 in and I sit about 12/13 feet away. It’s in my basement so no light concerns.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess I'll throw up a pic of my money pit. I also have a more modest 2 channel only system at my vacation home.

Appreciate 7
bobowar1353479.00
Bingham276.00
King Rudi13152.00
P111541.50
mc-m3204.00
      10-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So I'm old school, I have a Synthesis Seamus Amp and Zu Omen Def speakers in my current set up.....I stream most of my music now. This pic is a temporary set up as we just move in and I needed tunes for the nightmare of unpacking......I like tubes for their warmth. I have to say that the acoustics in this log home are really nice.
I love tubes too. I have a tube phono pre amp. Not too crazy about the edge in the sound in the highs I'm getting from the phono pre amp. There are a list of tubes that will work in my Vincent Audio PHO 700. Just have to decide on which set. Then again, it could be just an additive effect as I've also heard the phono cartridge I'm using (Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III) can be prone to that sonic issue.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
Hey Dog face,
Do you have any recommendations for a projector under 4g's? I haven't kept up for the past few years. My screen is 92 in and I sit about 12/13 feet away. It's in my basement so no light concerns.
Thanks!
Without doing the work to make absolutely sure the throw ratio works... (probably does)

Epson 4050 is a very popular choice because they're the brightest true cinema projector at that price point, and you're never even going to think about having too many Lumen until you're well into five figures and using a Laser light engine. This $3k pj is undoubtedly my choice for under $4k for the average user.

However, I'm personally so used to looking at high-end projectors, the Epson can look (and act) crude and grainy to me. Personally, short of a six-figure Barco; I'm a Sony fan. A 295ES is outside of your budget at $5k but is much more refined and smoother looking. Considering the modest screen size and controlled lighting, this is worth mentioning.

If I were to compare these two pjs to cars; the Epson is a Ford Mustang, and the Sony is a BMW 4 series. One has a lot of power; while the other has refinement and better details. Hope this helps.
      10-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
I guess I'll throw up a pic of my money pit. I also have a more modest 2 channel only system at my vacation home.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3abfb2a7_c.jpg[/img]
I think you've posted that before. What a gorgeous room. Totally drool worthy. I'm not stroking you when I tell you I've been in a LOT of listening rooms and that looks like a spectacular space. Thanks for posting it as a benchmark.
      10-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
So nobody feels intimidated by ZX10's beautiful setup, I'll post my modest all-KEF (of course) surround system in my living room. Although I can pretty much take home and use whatever I want; I actually bought this surround setup so I can dial it in perfectly and not touch it. Gear on loan is always going out for a demo, or otherwise being swapped out. This stays put.

Please be aware the LS50 Meta (copper cone speakers sitting on their side near my Center speaker) were just there temporarily as they were being broken in. These are now part of my office setup that is where I do serious listening.

My surround setup is a 5.2.4 configuration using our entry-level KEF Q Series, with 2 pairs of ATMOS "toppers" utilizing the "bounce method" where upward firing drivers ricochet sound off the ceiling. I use dual KEF KF92 subwoofers on opposing sides of the room.

I've lived here for 20 years so by now I have the room's acoustics fully dialed in and the system tuned as well as the Anthem AVR allows. It sounds pretty spectacular because it's so dialed in. The only improvement I would want here is more power, because I ALWAYS want more power! 😈
Attached Images

Murf99314114.00
mc-m3204.00
      10-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I think you've posted that before. What a gorgeous room. Totally drool worthy. I'm not stroking you when I tell you I've been in a LOT of listening rooms and that looks like a spectacular space. Thanks for posting it as a benchmark.
I have in other threads. The room has basically stayed the same since I built it out. I've only made some incremental changes/upgrades with some of the electronics/source equipment. While the speakers are not the top of the line B&Ws for that vintage, I have no desire to upgrade anything. It's right where I want things. Every time I spend time listening to music, it never ceases to amaze me how the speakers just disappear when I close my eyes. Some music I play through the system will still give me goose bumps. Just effortless sound. Raising the volume just increases sound output with no distortion. I just have to dial in the phono preamp situation and I'll be all set for years.

Really appreciate your seal of approval. Lots of work and labor of love went into that room.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #15
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My friend just built this really sweet 2.0 setup using KEF Reference 1 stand mounted loudspeakers, with a Hagel H590 integrated amp. Super sweet! Next week I'm going to bring over the new ($1500/pr) KEF LS50 Meta for a Pepsi challenge against the ($8k/pr) KEF Reference 1s. They have their work cut out for them, but it will be fun comparing! I'll try and take a pic when the shootout goes down.
Attached Images

10-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #16
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Without doing the work to make absolutely sure the throw ratio works... (probably does)

Epson 4050 is a very popular choice because they're the brightest true cinema projector at that price point, and you're never even going to think about having too many Lumen until you're well into five figures and using a Laser light engine. This $3k pj is undoubtedly my choice for under $4k for the average user.

However, I'm personally so used to looking at high-end projectors, the Epson can look (and act) crude and grainy to me. Personally, short of a six-figure Barco; I'm a Sony fan. A 295ES is outside of your budget at $5k but is much more refined and smoother looking. Considering the modest screen size and controlled lighting, this is worth mentioning.

If I were to compare these two pjs to cars; the Epson is a Ford Mustang, and the Sony is a BMW 4 series. One has a lot of power; while the other has refinement and better details. Hope this helps.
I like m3's not mustangs lol. So I'm going to have to up my budget. Do you have any experience with JVC? If so how do the nx-5 and nx-7 compare to the Sony?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
      10-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #17
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebreeze View Post
Quote:

I like m3's not mustangs lol. So I'm going to have to up my budget. Do you have any experience with JVC? If so how do the nx-5 and nx-7 compare to the Sony?
Thanks
Paradigm owner! Nice. I wish more people would choose box speakers for their cinema. That room should sound great with that setup.

How the hell did I forget about JVC? I was the NYC Wolf Cinema Rep for years, and their most popular models were (are?) based on JVC hardware, but with custom software, single-unit calibration, and special high-end lenses.

JVC's forte is exceptional contrast, and contrast is what projectors are inherently challenged as there's no local dimming on a PJ. This makes JVC's a popular choice, especially in the price point you're shopping. Definitely consider a JVC on your short list. Good company too.

I haven't used or even seen the JVC models you mention but I'd blindly put my name behind the statement that a JVC is definitely going to be a competitive product within its price class. They make solid gear.

https://wolfcinema.com
      10-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #18
M3insf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80 zcp

Here’s a few photos of my home theater and 2 channel music system. It’s a combination of solid state and tubes mixing Audio Research and Krell equipment. The sound is pretty decent for HT and music.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
zx10guy5139.00
QM287.00
TXSTYLE13653.00
      11-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I do love me sum Audio Research!
      11-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Brought my ($1500/pr) KEF LS50 Meta over to one of my clients today. As you see he already has ($8k/pr) KEF Reference 1, so the Metas had their work cut out for them.

House system consisted of a Hagel H590 integrated amp; with a Bluesound Node streaming into one of Hagel's coaxial-digital inputs. The H590 has a great DAC, and the amp has plenty of current. It didn't have any problem at all driving either pair of loudspeakers to maximum output.

Some thoughts on the speakers...

Metameterial Absorption Technology is legit. It significantly improves detail and transparency.

OF COURSE anyone would pick the Reference 1 as they clearly are superior performers, but what really strikes the listener is how similar these two sound. Both lean neutral and accurate, with a strong capability to decouple the performance from the speakers disappear sonically. The Ref1s just do it on a much greater scale... both in a larger soundstage, and larger output in the bottom octave.

This is going to sound like a sale pitch but, honestly the LS50 Meta are a ridiculous value. My client didn't hesitate to order a pair of LS50 Meta, and a pair of the active LS50 Wireless II.
Attached Images

11-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Paradigm owner! Nice. I wish more people would choose box speakers for their cinema. That room should sound great with that setup.

How the hell did I forget about JVC? I was the NYC Wolf Cinema Rep for years, and their most popular models were (are?) based on JVC hardware, but with custom software, single-unit calibration, and special high-end lenses.

JVC's forte is exceptional contrast, and contrast is what projectors are inherently challenged as there's no local dimming on a PJ. This makes JVC's a popular choice, especially in the price point you're shopping. Definitely consider a JVC on your short list. Good company too.

I haven't used or even seen the JVC models you mention but I'd blindly put my name behind the statement that a JVC is definitely going to be a competitive product within its price class. They make solid gear.

https://wolfcinema.com
I ended up ordering the jvc nx-5 yesterday. Also had to upgrade my screen and receiver to handle 4K. Went with a bigger screen 92 to 108 inch and anthem mrx740. Thanks a lot dog! This was a expensive post lol
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #22
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
💩 just reread your first post. I thought the 740 did everything the 1140 did but just less channels. I didn’t realize discrete subwoofer outputs feature is unique to the 1140. I can’t find that info anywhere?
Just cost me another grand 😭

Last edited by lebreeze; 11-07-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1