BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #1
boglehead
Mechanical Engineer
Rep
Drives: '17 M3

STEM Lounge

Wanted to create a thread for those of us who see things a little differently.

Whether you are still pursuing your degree or in the field, this could be a nice place to keep an open and frequent dialog which could also serve as a nice resource amongst us.

So I will start, I am a 32 year old former Marine currently pursuing my BSME. I am also looking for ways to integrate MATLAB into my life more frequently, so if you have any ideas please share them. Right now I am just going through some tutorials from their website. As far as CAD, In addition to my classes at school, I have Solidworks on my laptop and I usually dedicate some of my free time to finding random items around my place and recreating them/improving their design.

If anyone has any tips or advice they would like to pass along from their days at university I always welcome it.

Last edited by boglehead; 02-26-2019 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
What are you looking to get into? ME and IE here getting ready to start in the EE side of things to try something new. Solidworks is tons of fun and, in my opinion, the most intuitive of this type of software. I utilize Siemens NX frequently as well. Been working in the power transmission industry for an industrial gearbox manufacturer as a mechanical engineer, manufacturing engineer, and now production manager. Getting ready to change it up and go into the medical equipment industry. If your brain is wired that way, going into work can be very rewarding because it is actually fun and interesting. If you stick on the design side of things it is literally playing video games for a living!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi M-Sport

ME here.
My #1 tip. Take the FE right after you graduate. That way you are ready to take the PE as soon as you get those 4 years experience in the industry.

I waited a while after I graduated to take the FE and had to re-teach myself a bunch of the fundamentals that I don't use day-to-day in my job. FE might of been harder than the dang PE.
      02-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
ME here.
My #1 tip. Take the FE right after you graduate. That way you are ready to take the PE as soon as you get those 4 years experience in the industry.

I waited a while after I graduated to take the FE and had to re-teach myself a bunch of the fundamentals that I don't use day-to-day in my job. FE might of been harder than the dang PE.
YES
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglehead View Post
BSME. MATLAB CAD,
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
ME and IE EE Siemens NX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
ME here.
Take the FE PE
what in the hell are you guys talking about
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
what in the hell are you guys talking about
nerds...

good job getting into the STEM field OP. seems fewer and fewer are wanting to go that route.

My advice is its going to be hard but stick it out and realize you dont have to be confined to an office or cubicle your entire career. Wish someone had told me that before i switched from EE to construction managerment. No one ever told me I could be designing and running construction projects as an engineer.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?

Last edited by TheWatchGuy; 02-26-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

My is Now_Rudi but used to be Judy and I approve TheWatchGuy's sig.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Wanted to create a thread for those of us who see things a little differently.

Whether you are still pursuing your degree or in the field, this could be a nice place to keep an open and frequent dialog which could also serve as a nice resource amongst us.

So I will start, I am a 32 year old former Marine currently pursuing my BSME. I am also looking for ways to integrate MATLAB into my life more frequently, so if you have any ideas please share them. Right now I am just going through some tutorials from their website. As far as CAD, In addition to my classes at school, I have Solidworks on my laptop and I usually dedicate some of my free time to finding random items around my place and recreating them/improving their design.

If anyone has any tips or advice they would like to pass along from their days at university I always welcome it.
Good for you!

A piece of advice from an ME whose been out there for a few decades: Think about your 10, 15, 20 year plan. I know that sounds insane right now but hear me out. EVERY engineer eventually faces the same question at some point in their career: Stay an engineer, stay technical, stay focused, or move over into a managerial track. Your career and your salary will eventually top out as an engineer. Some dudes are totally content with that and that's awesome. Often times engineers who are bright but topped out on a technical track will get hustled over into a management track by a company that does not want to lose them but has no more upward technical growth potential. They usually fail miserably.

Personally, I always had more of a natural talent for managing people than I did for engineering. Out of sheer luck I had a series of managers who saw that and took me under their wing to develop my career path. It was nothing I ever considered when I was in school. I got lucky. Many don't.

If you think you may want more from your career than keeping your head down and staying technical for 30 years, find the time to fit in a minor in Business, Management, Engineering Management, etc. Solid engineers who are personable and can lead are hard to find. You'll get a lot of attention from prospective employers if you throw down a resume that has your ME major and a minor in something that shows you see the big picture of how to apply those technical skills to their company.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
My is Now_Rudi but used to be Judy and I approve TheWatchGuy's sig.
they're not looking for dates, they're engineers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Oh....well allow me to see myself out then....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just curious, how are you pursuing your BSME at your age? I don't know of any online ABET certified ME degrees. I have to assume you are doing it the hard way with your day job and night classes? I know of some BSMET degrees that are online and ABET certified, however.

Quote:
Don't open the gate. It becomes a field of mindless zombies chasing after the one girl.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

BSME Aerospace & Aeronautical Design. I actually work for a steel company designing industrial (your part here) and have a side business designing small homes and off-grid power systems. I agree with some of you that if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life

I agree with making a long-term plan, as well. I'm hoping to retire into teaching at 45 by working for this ESOP company until I have a large share built up. At which point I can join a teachers union and get a tiny piece of that, too. my property and home were financed for 10 years so I can be debt free at 42.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
boglehead
Mechanical Engineer
Rep
Drives: '17 M3

Quote:
Just curious, how are you pursuing your BSME at your age? I don't know of any online ABET certified ME degrees. I have to assume you are doing it the hard way with your day job and night classes? I know of some BSMET degrees that are online and ABET certified, however.

Don't open the gate. It becomes a field of mindless zombies chasing after the one girl.
A lot of great feedback in here, and I will be replying to a lot more of it however I wanted respond to this now.

So I am actually utilizing a resource from the Veteran Affairs known as Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation. In short my tuition is covered, and I receive a living stipend based on the COL of the schools location.

I am a full time student at the moment and I normally mix online and on site classes, however I had to shift down to part time work for obvious reasons.

I know I am 32, but still plenty of time to cultivate an engineering career. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my years in 'Test & Evaluation' working beside engineers leading up to this point will prove beneficial once I graduate.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
I haven't visited the "Dating Experiences" thread for a while. Are you now in a position to be giving others a bad time about their dating prospects?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      02-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A lot of great feedback in here, and I will be replying to a lot more of it however I wanted respond to this now.

So I am actually utilizing a resource from the Veteran Affairs known as Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation. In short my tuition is covered, and I receive a living stipend based on the COL of the schools location.

I am a full time student at the moment, however I had to shift down to part time work for obvious reasons.

I know I am 32, but still plenty of time to cultivate an engineering career. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my years in 'Test & Evaluation' working beside engineers leading up to this point will prove beneficial once I graduate.
That's the way to do it! I'm not full time student, but I am also in school right now to add to the resume of knowledge all the while managing my plant at work. It is ultra difficult to juggle life with family and friends and work 60+ hours a week AND go to school.

It's entirely worth it once complete, though. Bust ass, my man.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
you should learn Revit. Autocad is good program to know and similar to Revit.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
you should learn Revit. Autocad is good program to know and similar to Revit.
I think Revit is made by the same guys that make AutoCAD (AutoDesk). But I had thought that Revit was directed to architecture?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
I think Revit is made by the same guys that make AutoCAD (AutoDesk). But I had thought that Revit was directed to architecture?
its very popular in the engineering industry.

im in the MEP field. I have my resume on Indeed, was contacted many times recruiter/project managers for new positions. I was asked if I knew Revit. The program is very similar to Autocad but has more features.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
im a junior in college, civil engineering and Revit is being taught very intensively

im in a class this semester that focuses on Revit and it's the best decision ive taken in a while...

also if anyone's looking for a nice kid to have as an intern i'm open to all prospects
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

I personally think that Solidworks is the most intuitive and easy to use of any of these design programs. Unless you're doing sheet metal, then I would say switch to inventor. SW is effing terrible with complex sheet metal designs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #21
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

ME here as well.

I agree that you should learn Revit since it'll be what companies go to in the next 5-10 years but you should have some experience in AutoCAD, Catia/Creo and Solidworks depending on the industry your pursuing. Most companies don't have the resources/wants to upgrade software and train employees so you might even be using older versions (my company still uses AutoCAD 2004).

My personally advise is to take internships in several industries so you can get a feel for what you like.

Also, get licenses to as many programs as you can while in school even if they are student versions. This will help you if you need to freshen up or take training courses in future.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907380.00
      02-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #22
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post
ME here as well.

I agree that you should learn Revit since it'll be what companies go to in the next 5-10 years but you should have some experience in AutoCAD, Catia/Creo and Solidworks depending on the industry your pursuing. Most companies don't have the resources/wants to upgrade software and train employees so you might even be using older versions (my company still uses AutoCAD 2004).

My personally advise is to take internships in several industries so you can get a feel for what you like.

Also, get licenses to as many programs as you can while in school even if they are student versions. This will help you if you need to freshen up or take training courses in future.
I also have 04 version on my laptop and office pc. My firm is small, so its very $$$ to upgrade to latest '19 software but we have 2015 & 2018 LT version to open dwg files save & close to 04 version. Its been working so far.
Our clients are architects that have both Autocad and Revit.
Appreciate 0