BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Ricardinhouk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8

Regen charge

I've recently noticed the recharge while driving appears to take a while to fully operate. The 4 charge segments light up one by one over about 10 minutes.

This doesn't happen every time which is odd.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardinhouk View Post
I've recently noticed the recharge while driving appears to take a while to fully operate. The 4 charge segments light up one by one over about 10 minutes.

Any suggestions?
Not sure if this is what you are describing but when the car is fully charged, not all segments are shown (probably because there's nowhere to store the energy). Once you have used up some electricity more segments show up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:55 AM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardinhouk View Post

Any suggestions?
I always thought it's because the battery is full when I take off. Nowhere to put the charge... If the battery is not full, and the same thing happens, it may have something to do with battery readiness. I wonder if it's different if you precondition before takeoff.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

On the contrary of the fully charged up battery messages , the car quickly charges up the batteries when sport mode is selected. I have just noticed that with my e drive range was 3 kilometers, it increased to 6 kilometers just in 3 kilometers roughly which means 1 unit km charge per kilometer.
When e drive reads more than 15 kilometers in battery range, it doesn't quickly charge it up in same distance and same drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
On the contrary of the fully charged up battery messages , the car quickly charges up the batteries when sport mode is selected. I have just noticed that with my e drive range was 3 kilometers, it increased to 6 kilometers just in 3 kilometers roughly which means 1 unit km charge per kilometer.
When e drive reads more than 15 kilometers in battery range, it doesn't quickly charge it up in same distance and same drive mode.
Yes, it's quicker to charge the first bits of an empty battery than the last bits of a full one. The good old 80/20 rule. This is true not only for regen, but also for charging from an outlet. Or for charging your smart phone, sports watch, whatever - at least while they are relatively new.

I think what the original post was about is that the recharge bars in the instrument cluster don't seem to be there right after take-off.
Appreciate 0