Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
+1... that is the only part that hits me as really dumb. Kind of like rebadging a civic with roundels.
Exactly. That's all I'm getting at. Just rock the VW center cap or a plain one. Not the Merc/Audi/Porsche one.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #24
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Umm, so does he flatbed this around cause I don't know too many places where the roads are level enough for this set up to be usuable, especially if you actually put 4 people in it.
      08-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
okay, I can't take it anymore... Is there SERIOUSLY a picture here with a car and a sticker that says "VAG ASSASSIN" on it?!?! What the HELL? Who does this? My 14 year old son is as immature as the rest, but even HE is well beyond that. Dear god. Nothing says "I'm never getting laid" quite as well as that sticker. wow..
It stands for Volkswagen Audi Group, not what you might be thinking, read up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

I had a VW before my e90, never really modded it though. It's definitely a different style but there are parts of it I like and parts I don't. But that can be said for the Bimmer styling too.

In the end who really cares what other people do or think is cool, it doesn't affect you at all
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Umm, so does he flatbed this around cause I don't know too many places where the roads are level enough for this set up to be usuable, especially if you actually put 4 people in it.
its air ride man, he probably drops it for pictures and raises it up slightly for daily driving
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #27
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Honestly I prefer the VAG crowd over the Bmw crowd. At least most of these guys are into DIY and can turn a wrench. Their cars still comes with dipstick and a spare tire.

Since Bentley, Lambo, Porsche, Audi, Vw, Seat, Skoda are all related what's wrong with rockin RS4 wheels or A8 on a GTI or A4.

Same goes with Nissan-Infiniti and Honda-Acura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
overly stretched tires? what are you talking about? lol
That second picture you posted, with the "VAG - Assassin" sticker is unintentionally hilarious. Mostly because a car that bad looking tends to kill any chance you might of had seeing vag.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #29
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Honestly I prefer the VAG crowd over the Bmw crowd. At least most of these guys are into DIY and can turn a wrench. Their cars still comes with dipstick and a spare tire.

Since Bentley, Lambo, Porsche, Audi, Vw, Seat, Skoda are all related what's wrong with rockin RS4 wheels or A8 on a GTI or A4.

eh kinda

Even though i am well aware of the fact that VAG owns Lambo, I still don't think it's cool to throw some Lambo merch on a VW and leave all the logos intact. It just seems kinda pretentious.

I'm all for modding the car however you'd like, but at least take the time to finish the job and replace the OE logos. Otherwise it just looks lazy.

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Are you O.K. with Ferrari badged fieros? Seriously, you honestly don't think posing with a luxury branded wheel on a cheapo VW looks stupid? VWs are great, reliable cars, and GTIs are iconic. But it just screams of inadequacy and ennui to slap Mercedes, Porsche or Audi brand anything on your VW. If you own a VW, be proud of it, they make decent cars. But slapping another badge on there looks like you are ashamed of your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #31
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

some guys put real OE Merc wheels on their VW, not reps. The wheels are Mercedes so slapping some Volkswagen caps on there would be kind of weird.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #32
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

I have a couple buddies with dubs on air ride with the stretched/tucked look. Some of their cars look really clean, they're immaculate. They just slam the car when parked or for photos. None of my friends have benz wheels or anything like that on their cars, but I have seen that steez at their meets. That I don't understand or like.

It's def a different crowd at their meets, not that I don't like it but the bimmer meets usually have some cooler guys to chat with and what not.

To hate on one particular 'scene' is wrong imo. I've seen plenty of horribly modded BMW's out there that are cringe worthy. Poor taste is not brand specific.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #33
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
some guys put real OE Merc wheels on their VW, not reps. The wheels are Mercedes so slapping some Volkswagen caps on there would be kind of weird.
I know they are real wheels. That does not change my point. These guys are making the decision to use these wheels over similarly priced, lighter stronger aftermarket wheels that do not bear those luxury brands logos. Presumably, this means they are choosing these wheels because they are branded this way. That makes them posers, and again, screams of inadequacy.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
Are you O.K. with Ferrari badged fieros? Seriously, you honestly don't think posing with a luxury branded wheel on a cheapo VW looks stupid? VWs are great, reliable cars, and GTIs are iconic. But it just screams of inadequacy and ennui to slap Mercedes, Porsche or Audi brand anything on your VW. If you own a VW, be proud of it, they make decent cars. But slapping another badge on there looks like you are ashamed of your car.
If there are no caps of the brand what do you do? Like someone else said ...why slap a some ///M rims if the car is not an M? The cap is a manufacturer logo. I would leave it as is. People like the wheel style.....they don't care about the car brand
Do you know what is OEM-plus? I had A8 rims on my A4 4 years ago...while my brother has Phaeton wheels on his Jetta...and it looks damn nice. It's like civic guys rockin S2000 seats and 5-lug conversions from Acura GSR-Type R.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #35
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know they are real wheels. That does not change my point. These guys are making the decision to use these wheels over similarly priced, lighter stronger aftermarket wheels that do not bear those luxury brands logos. Presumably, this means they are choosing these wheels because they are branded this way. That makes them posers, and again, screams of inadequacy.
They're using them because they look good, not because they say Merc on them. OEM+ is a really popular modding style and VW only makes so many different types of wheels. When you want more options you go to other manufacturers, most common are Audi, Porsche and MB
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #36
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
They're using them because they look good, not because they say Merc on them. OEM+ is a really popular modding style and VW only makes so many different types of wheels. When you want more options you go to other manufacturers, most common are Audi, Porsche and MB
Finally someone who understands

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If there are no caps of the brand what do you do? Like someone else said ...why slap a some ///M rims if the car is not an M? I don't see whats wrong with rockin HRE, KONIG wheels. The cap is a manufacturer logo. I would leave it as is. People like the wheel style.....
Do you know what is OEM-plus?
Why do they like the style? Its not as if there are not thousands of wheels out there for these guys to rock on their VWs. No, they bought these wheels for a reason, and that reason is to look like a more expensive vehicle. If you want to call that "style" thats fine. But it does not change the fact that the desire to run a more expensive car's running gear screams of ennui. Simply saying that they like the style and the wheels came with those center caps does not absolve them of the fact that they are posing in their cars rocking another car's logos. I have no issue with people running HRE wheels to have HRE caps. The reason being that HRE makes wheels, their brand is a wheel brand. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi are car brands and the logo speaks not of the wheel but of the car. More over, most wheels are made by independent contractors for the car manufacturer. So quite literally that Mercedes wheel is most likely not made by Mercedes, but by some other manufacturer, like BBS, Momo or Enkei. So if they wanted to advertise whose wheels these are they should source badges that convey this, not the auto manufacturer's.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why do they like the style? Its not as if there are not thousands of wheels out there for these guys to rock on their VWs. No, they bought these wheels for a reason, and that reason is to look like a more expensive vehicle. If you want to call that "style" thats fine. But it does not change the fact that the desire to run a more expensive car's running gear screams of ennui. Simply saying that they like the style and the wheels came with those center caps does not absolve them of the fact that they are posing in their cars rocking another car's logos. I have no issue with people running HRE wheels to have HRE caps. The reason being that HRE makes wheels, their brand is a wheel brand. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Audi are car brands and the logo speaks not of the wheel but of the car. More over, most wheels are made by independent contractors for the car manufacturer. So quite literally that Mercedes wheel is most likely not made by Mercedes, but by some other manufacturer, like BBS, Momo or Enkei. So if they wanted to advertise whose wheels these are they should source badges that convey this, not the auto manufacturer's.
ok.......Well I guess my brother wanted a phaeton and was too broke to afford one...or I couldnt buy an A8 so I slapped those rims on my old A4...Come on man let's be serious here. Think what you think but you're wrong. Totally off-track here

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #39
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

They use Benz wheels because they are the same bolt pattern as VWs and they think it looks good, and personally, I think that Rabbit looked good. And why change the centercaps? Those are Mercedes wheels after all..
      08-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #40
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

..not my bro's but what's wrong with this guy? Phaeton wheels on a Jetta I guess he wants to look more upscale

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #41
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Merc wheels look great imo, it probably weirds out some of you guys. I'm guessing most here wouldn't want Merc wheels on their S4 though
      08-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #42
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgthis View Post

Merc wheels look great imo, it probably weirds out some of you guys. I'm guessing most here wouldn't want Merc wheels on their S4 though
I would on my daily driver why not.They look good. I'm just totally out of the scene

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #43
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
ok.......Well I guess my brother wanted a phaeton and was too broke to afford one...or I couldnt buy an A8 so I slapped those rims on my old A4...Come on man let's be serious here. Think what you think but you're wrong. Totally off-track here

And don't forget all those people putting CSL rims on their E46... and M6 Rims on the e9x....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #44
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoko View Post
And don't forget all those people putting CSL rims on their E46... and M6 Rims on the e9x....
its one thing to put on rims **OF THE SAME BRAND**, but of another brand? come on

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0