BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

05-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Alfa, 500 Abarth

Factory BEV 20" tire pressure recommondations

I'm just getting used to my new car, but I cant help wondering about the factory tire pressures. 33# in the front feels really spongy. Bringing the fronts closer to the rear 41# makes it feel really twitchy. What do people run here?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX

I usually follow the door sticker maybe a pound more. These tires are strange enough without worrying about over inflating them and wearing them out too fast. Or worse would be a blow out.

The huge pressure difference front to back suggests that the weight of the car is mostly towards the rear.

I wonder if running the rear tires/wheels on the front would make the car feel more stable as they are a bit wider. Sort of like what BMW did with the i3s with wider tires and wheels.

It would be interesting to try. Maybe find another set of 20's and put the rears on the front as an experiment.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomb View Post
I'm just getting used to my new car, but I cant help wondering about the factory tire pressures. 33# in the front feels really spongy. Bringing the fronts closer to the rear 41# makes it feel really twitchy. What do people run here?
I had played long and hard with tire pressures when I first got my i3 4+ years ago, and after a lot of trials and tribulations.... returned to the factory recommended pressures.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Alfa, 500 Abarth

When I drove the car off the lot, it had 41# all around. Maybe the dealer was telling me something...Since lowering the fronts to the door specs, it just feels mushy and they realize that. Plus the lower pressure cant help range.
Appreciate 0