Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
CPO Cost

Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a 2015 i8 soon and I was wondering if anyone could provide some input on the CPO program. How much would it cost to certify a preowned i8 if it were being sold at a BMW dealership? I am asking because I found two options with a $4500 difference in price; one is certified preowned and the other is not. Both are for sale at a BMW dealer, both are pure impulse and are lease returns.

I would think it's worth spending the extra $4500 to get a CPO car but I'm asking in case it turns out to be cheaper to have the dealer certify it. The non-CPO car is also local, so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Appreciate the input!
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
imaeyeguy
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamelauncher14 View Post
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy a 2015 i8 soon and I was wondering if anyone could provide some input on the CPO program. How much would it cost to certify a preowned i8 if it were being sold at a BMW dealership? I am asking because I found two options with a $4500 difference in price; one is certified preowned and the other is not. Both are for sale at a BMW dealer, both are pure impulse and are lease returns.

I would think it's worth spending the extra $4500 to get a CPO car but I'm asking in case it turns out to be cheaper to have the dealer certify it. The non-CPO car is also local, so I wouldn't have to worry about shipping.

Appreciate the input!
I was told that to certify any BMW, it is a $2500 cost. If the dealer has their own people who can certify, then it’s probably kind of free to them. A certified i8 adds $3500 to value of car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
chronon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 996 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaeyeguy View Post
I was told that to certify any BMW, it is a $2500 cost. If the dealer has their own people who can certify, then it’s probably kind of free to them. A certified i8 adds $3500 to value of car.
I have been doing some research into this and here is what I found - It costs the dealer $1550 to certify a the i8 PLUS wear & tear items needed (eg new tires) to bring it up to spec. Net should be easy to negotiate into a deal. CPO now ONLY provides 1 extra year.

If YOU want to buy the BMW brand extended warranty it is $3500 to add 2 years and a crazy $10,000 to add 3 years.

You can rationalize the $10k given that you would get equal/longer warranty than if you bought the car brand new plus depreciation.

According to my service advisor, i8s have been pretty reliable but if I get one, I will at least add the 2 years warranty given bmw repairs are expensive and indy shops may not work on i8s.
Appreciate 0