BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BMW i8 Forums > BMW i8 General Discussion

View Poll Results: Whatís in store for the future of the i8?
Cancel and stop production 14 48.28%
Go full electric 6 20.69%
Remain hybrid, but will make incremental improvements 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

10-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
orion1977
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

What do you think the future holds for the i8?

Will BMW abandoned and cancel the car?

Will it return in all electric mode?

Or will it stay in its current iteration, but with more improvements?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
orion1977
Private
Rep

Biggest block votes cancellation of production.

Here's an interesting article on that sheds some light on the i8's future: https://driving.ca/bmw/i8/auto-news/...ild-a-supercar
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
evanevery
Major
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster, M4, Tesla MX

The i8 has always been mostly a rolling concept vehicle. It doesn't really excel at anything (except maybe its looks). Its not terribly fast, its not terribly efficient, it doesn't handle particularly great, its not really a compelling EV, its not even terribly practical. (Yet, somehow I still bought one...) :-)

Once BMW gets their feet under them with mainstream, practical EV's, I expect the i8 will go away. (The i3 ISNT one of these) Lots of manufacturers are delivering EV's with 250+ miles of range (or are about to...). Jaguar, Audi, Benz, and BMW are committed to joining the likes of Tesla.

Once a bunch of mainstream auto mfr's join the EV market with really compelling models and options (INHO: 250+ miles range being critical), then we'll see more of them start adding performance oriented options and models.

None of this favors the i8.

Once people realize that EV's are best used within a viable daily driving range, and that they don't need/want a public charging infrastructure if they can charge overnight in their own garage, that will effectively be critical mass for the species.

The acceleration of EV sales is not stopping. Tesla has broken some crazy sales records each of the last two months with the Model 3. With Audi, Benz, and BMW gearing up to enter the market very soon that will solidify the option of buying a really viable EV in the very near term.

Unfortunately for the i8, as EV's become more-and-more viable (Long Range), middle-ground hybrids will be going the way of the dinosaur. Especially as performance oriented model options become available. Maybe the i8 will become some sort of a collector's item (like the Isetta).

Tesla Roadster anyone?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ht=fire+orange
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
JasH
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Maybe the i8 will become some sort of a collector's item

I am certain it will..... but will take at least 15 years before that happens.

BMW have made too many for it to happen sooner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
orion1977
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
The i8 has always been mostly a rolling concept vehicle. It doesn't really excel at anything (except maybe its looks). Its not terribly fast, its not terribly efficient, it doesn't handle particularly great, its not really a compelling EV, its not even terribly practical. (Yet, somehow I still bought one...) :-)
Canít this be said of most grand-tourers? With the exception that the i8 is still better looking and much more efficient than most grand tourers?

Nevertheless, Iím still taken back and completely surprised by the poll results. I know youíre not, but I am.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
evanevery
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
Can’t this be said of most grand-tourers? With the exception that the i8 is still better looking and much more efficient than most grand tourers?

Nevertheless, I’m still taken back and completely surprised by the poll results. I know you’re not, but I am.
No, I don't think so. Grand Tourers are generally not so close to "concept" vehicles as the i8 was/is. Lots of mfrs make large Grand Touring vehicles which are mainstream designs...

Yup, not surprised at the poll at all... One of the reasons I wanted to grab an i8 before they were gone. The availability of a Roadster was the tipping point (to replace my summer M6 vert toy). I would never have bought this car as a mainstream vehicle - just for fun. I've always liked "strange" cars. My favorite had to be my first car - a VW Thing! (The die was cast!)

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

I'm waiting for i8 to become like what my Type R for sure is going to become. A collector's item.
      10-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
evanevery
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
I'm waiting for i8 to become like what my Type R for sure is going to become. A collector's item.
Its surely unique enough...

Appreciate 1