Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #177
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This might be the ideal solution for a problem I've been trying to solve in either going with PTZ camera or compromising with picking a line of sight which meets most of my coverage requirements.

When things settle down a bit, I'll be talking to LTS soon about getting a whole new system for my primary home. My plan is to upgrade the system at my primary home and move the old equipment over to my vacation property.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      06-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #178
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

A little off topic, but what are you guys using for a firewall on your network? We haven't moved into the house yet, and I am still building the network. But with all these cameras now being up, I really wouldn't want anyone getting access to the feeds.

Anyone use untangle or pfsense?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #179
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
A little off topic, but what are you guys using for a firewall on your network? We haven't moved into the house yet, and I am still building the network. But with all these cameras now being up, I really wouldn't want anyone getting access to the feeds.

zx10guy is an expert in this field...
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      06-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #180
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
zx10guy is an expert in this field...
Quote:

Thanks P1et.

djsaad1,

It depends on how much you want to spend, what your skill level is, and how paranoid you are.

In the world of firewalls, the current baseline standard is stateful packet inspection or SPI. The basic operation of these firewalls is a table that keeps track of network sessions via port numbers. A PC on your network starts a connection on port 11111 to a web server on the Internet on port 80. The return traffic the firewall expects is the web server on port 80 to your PC at port 11111. I've simplified this example as most people will be running a NAT overload configuration. The problem is some attacks or in the business world some people are looking to hide activity don't follow what the reserved port numbers are meant for. Take the above example with port 80. This port is reserved for HTTP web traffic. But it doesn't mean I have to follow that convention. I can shove FTP traffic down port 80. A SPI firewall will just allow it through because it conforms to the port sessions it is keeping track of.

Enter next generation firewalls which are also referred to as deep packet inspection (DPI) firewalls. These firewalls will actually peer into the packet data and see if the traffic inside of the packet conforms to the port number it is traveling over. These firewalls can also have rules set where you can allow/block traffic based on application/protocol. So these firewalls no longer only filter based on port number. However, doing this type of filtering taxes the hardware significantly. You won't find DPI firewalls with any SOHO product. And there are no freeware/open source products I know of which utilize DPI including the two you've referenced.

If you want to gain access securely to your camera feeds, I would recommend you set up a VPN server on your network. This is how I gain access to my camera feeds. I do not expose anything sensitive directly to the internet. The solution I'm using are as follows: SonicWall TZ400W (DPI) for my edge firewall and a SonicWall SSL VPN virtual appliance for remote access. The SonicWall SSL VPN solution has a mobile client which allows me to connect securely from my Android phone. Both solutions are not cheap and I have them due to my line of work.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      06-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #181
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, I have a unifi setup right now in the current house with a usg pro and I have a radius VPN setup there. But the usg has been really unstable for me, with and without dpi. I am looking to get rid of the usg and get untangle home pro and keep the unifi switch and ap's. Untangle doesn't seem to have real dpi, but their application control app seems similar.

I am not too paranoid, I just want to be a level above average when it comes to security.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #182
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Thanks P1et.

djsaad1,

It depends on how much you want to spend, what your skill level is, and how paranoid you are.

In the world of firewalls, the current baseline standard is stateful packet inspection or SPI. The basic operation of these firewalls is a table that keeps track of network sessions via port numbers. A PC on your network starts a connection on port 11111 to a web server on the Internet on port 80. The return traffic the firewall expects is the web server on port 80 to your PC at port 11111. I've simplified this example as most people will be running a NAT overload configuration. The problem is some attacks or in the business world some people are looking to hide activity don't follow what the reserved port numbers are meant for. Take the above example with port 80. This port is reserved for HTTP web traffic. But it doesn't mean I have to follow that convention. I can shove FTP traffic down port 80. A SPI firewall will just allow it through because it conforms to the port sessions it is keeping track of.

Enter next generation firewalls which are also referred to as deep packet inspection (DPI) firewalls. These firewalls will actually peer into the packet data and see if the traffic inside of the packet conforms to the port number it is traveling over. These firewalls can also have rules set where you can allow/block traffic based on application/protocol. So these firewalls no longer only filter based on port number. However, doing this type of filtering taxes the hardware significantly. You won't find DPI firewalls with any SOHO product. And there are no freeware/open source products I know of which utilize DPI including the two you've referenced.

If you want to gain access securely to your camera feeds, I would recommend you set up a VPN server on your network. This is how I gain access to my camera feeds. I do not expose anything sensitive directly to the internet. The solution I'm using are as follows: SonicWall TZ400W (DPI) for my edge firewall and a SonicWall SSL VPN virtual appliance for remote access. The SonicWall SSL VPN solution has a mobile client which allows me to connect securely from my Android phone. Both solutions are not cheap and I have them due to my line of work.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
I set up openvpn with untangled but my feeds are really slow through VPN, they also cut in and out. If I use TeamViewer to remote into that pc and look at the feeds, they are great. Anything I need to do on VPN settings?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #183
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I set up openvpn with untangled but my feeds are really slow through VPN, they also cut in and out. If I use TeamViewer to remote into that pc and look at the feeds, they are great. Anything I need to do on VPN settings?
It could be the VPN overhead causing the network performance issues. What are you using for the end points for the VPN connection? Have you tried to do a simple file transfer to see what your throughput is?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #184
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just ordered my first 6MP Hikvision. It's a 2.8mm bullet camera. Will post up some sample footage once I get it installed... It's also my first H.265 camera.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      10-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #185
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

So a 6MP camera is absolutely amazing from a quality perspective. Guess now I'll have to upgrade all of them...
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      10-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #186
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll have to touch base with you before I buy a new system for my primary home. Looking to move my existing system to my vacation property soon.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      10-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #187
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
So a 6MP camera is absolutely amazing from a quality perspective. Guess now I'll have to upgrade all of them...
Nice. I have a 5MP that I played a little w/ but I'm mostly lighting limited atm.....built-in IR LEDs don't cut it.
      10-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #188
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Nice. I have a 5MP that I played a little w/ but I'm mostly lighting limited atm.....built-in IR LEDs don't cut it.
The one I bought, I made sure it had a hell of an IR throw. Only thing is, it's a pretty intimidating looking camera. Not exactly covert. Comes with the junction box, which is nice.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #189
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Noob needing some assistance.

Bought a house earlier this year with 4 PoE cameras connected to a FLIR Digimark DNR204P1. I have the Admin Password to the DNR and can power up and see a screen with either one or 4 camera views, but they are all black. This is not connected to my router - didn’t want to do that until it is working.

I’ve tried hunting through the menus and detecting the cameras, but I can’t get any to show anything. I don’t know what model the cameras are - but I think all of this is approx 2013 vintage.

I have verified power supply to the DNR is good for the PoE.

I may have bad software, DNR or cameras (all 4, really?). How do I test and isolate (my only electronic tool is a multimeter)?

I called Digimark and they were of as little help as they possibly could be.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #190
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Noob needing some assistance.

Bought a house earlier this year with 4 PoE cameras connected to a FLIR Digimark DNR204P1. I have the Admin Password to the DNR and can power up and see a screen with either one or 4 camera views, but they are all black. This is not connected to my router - didn’t want to do that until it is working.

I’ve tried hunting through the menus and detecting the cameras, but I can’t get any to show anything. I don’t know what model the cameras are - but I think all of this is approx 2013 vintage.

I have verified power supply to the DNR is good for the PoE.

I may have bad software, DNR or cameras (all 4, really?). How do I test and isolate (my only electronic tool is a multimeter)?

I called Digimark and they were of as little help as they possibly could be.

Thanks!
You are probably better off just hanging new cameras; since they are PoE, they will be plug n play. I'd recommend a good 4MP or higher camera, which can be had for just around $100 per camera.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      12-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #191
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
You are probably better off just hanging new cameras; since they are PoE, they will be plug n play. I'd recommend a good 4MP or higher camera, which can be had for just around $100 per camera.
I borrowed a PoE switch from work and couldn’t see the cameras with that attached to my network, so I will start fresh. I may have to pull some new wire.

Any recommendations for user installable DNR/DVR and cameras? Prob go with 4 cameras, all outside, for now but an 8 channel to allow future expansion. Or should I go wireless?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #192
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi,

Just need some help choosing a PoE switch. I will have 6 Hivision 8MP cameras running at 4k 20fp/s on my synology NAS.

Anyone able to recommend a capable switch with at least 6 POE ports at a reasonable price?

Also, what else do i need to consider when purchasing a switch to run my setup smoothly ?

Cheers.
      12-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #193
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

This is a great thread as I am looking to set something up come spring. Not really looking to access from outside my network just yet, but would like to set something up that I can check on my pool, the front and side doors, garage, and backdoor so I can see if the dogs are ready to come in. What would be the recommended cameras and software for something like this? Two cameras would ideally be mounted under the second story eves, so good line of sight would be key.
      12-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #194
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I borrowed a PoE switch from work and couldn’t see the cameras with that attached to my network, so I will start fresh. I may have to pull some new wire.

Any recommendations for user installable DNR/DVR and cameras? Prob go with 4 cameras, all outside, for now but an 8 channel to allow future expansion. Or should I go wireless?

Thanks
I doubt you'd have to pull new cables. Have you tested them all and see if they work? You can just connect a laptop into one side and connect the other side to your router and see if you can get on the internet. If so, you're probably in good shape to connect IP cameras to it. I wouldn't go wireless. Just hardwire them and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #195
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Hi,

Just need some help choosing a PoE switch. I will have 6 Hivision 8MP cameras running at 4k 20fp/s on my synology NAS.

Anyone able to recommend a capable switch with at least 6 POE ports at a reasonable price?

Also, what else do i need to consider when purchasing a switch to run my setup smoothly ?

Cheers.
I have a TP Link PoE switch and have been very pleased with it. Take a look at the TL-SG1016PE.

You just need to make sure that the watts consumed by your cameras don't exceed the watts provided by the switch. I doubt it'll be an issue, but worth checking.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #196
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
This is a great thread as I am looking to set something up come spring. Not really looking to access from outside my network just yet, but would like to set something up that I can check on my pool, the front and side doors, garage, and backdoor so I can see if the dogs are ready to come in. What would be the recommended cameras and software for something like this? Two cameras would ideally be mounted under the second story eves, so good line of sight would be key.
Easiest setup is having some Hikvision PoE cameras setup. Pull Cat5e or Cat6e, and power them with the NVR, which provides both power to your cameras and records the footage.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #197
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Quote:
Easiest setup is having some Hikvision PoE cameras setup. Pull Cat5e or Cat6e, and power them with the NVR, which provides both power to your cameras and records the footage.
Thanks. Are there any models currently recommended for cameras or NVR? Do they make a bullet camera with zoom?
      12-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #198
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

There is no doubt NVR is the easiest, but I would recommend looking into blue iris. I love it, it can do a good amount more than your typical camera manufacture software, and you can mix/match cameras with it. For example I have my two Doorbell (doorbird) cameras running on it with all the hikvision cameras.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50