BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #23
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkurt View Post
There's not much information about tracking an i8 out there, except for one thread about tires melting. So that's exciting.

Has anyone put better tires on the stock turbine wheels and had good success?
My i8 just got back from Euro Delivery. I'm a member at Autobahn Country Club (where I regularly track my M4). I had driven an i8 on that track before, but it wasn't my own and not at full speed...

So I took my i8 down to the club last Sunday and headed out for a full-on "C Group" Session on the South Track. I wanted to see what the i8 would really do on my home track...

Not good... Not even close... Yes it needs better, wider tires, but that is the least of it.

The i8 suspension is incredibly soft in the corners. Feels like a boat going in and then you have to deal with the understeer. Not confidence inspiring in any way when entering a corner at true track speeds. Its pucker time...

Wider, better, tires would certainly help with the understeer (particularly up front). However, the i8 is always going to feel like a boat on the track unless the suspension is completely upgraded (springs and torsion bars at a minimum).

Autocross would be even worse...

I didn't even complete a full session. The car was clearly out of its element so I pitted before the battery was even depleted.

IMHO: The i8 is at its best when cruising on the highway. If you want to properly track an i8, you're not only going to need new wheels and tires, but a full suspension upgrade...

(I've still got my Nomex Race Gear on - so flame away...)

Last edited by evanevery; 09-19-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
Jo-Sta07474.00
      09-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkurt View Post
There's not much information about tracking an i8 out there, except for one thread about tires melting. So that's exciting.

Has anyone put better tires on the stock turbine wheels and had good success?
My i8 just got back from Euro Delivery. I'm a member at Autobahn Country Club (where I regularly track my M4). I had driven an i8 on that track before, but it wasn't my own and not at full speed...

So I took my i8 down to the club last Sunday and headed out for a full-on "C Group" Session on the South Track. I wanted to see what the i8 would really do on my home track...

Not good... Not even close... Yes it needs better, wider tires, but that is the least of it.

The i8 suspension is incredibly soft in the corners. Feels like a boat going in and then you have to deal with the understeer. Not confidence inspiring in any way when entering a corner at true track speeds. Its pucker time...

Wider, better, tires would certainly help with the understeer (particularly up front). However, the i8 is always going to feel like a boat on the track unless the suspension is completely upgraded (springs and torsion bars at a minimum).

Autocross would be even worse...

I didn't even complete a full session. The car was clearly out of its element so I pitted before the battery was even depleted.

IMHO: The i8 is at its best when cruising on the highway. If you want to properly track an i8, you're not only going to need new wheels and tires, but a full suspension upgrade...

(I've still got my Nomex Race Gear on - so flame away...)
So you would compare the suspension to a 335i even in sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
I don't have a 335i (nor have I ever driven one) to compare it to...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #26
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
I don't have a 335i (nor have I ever driven one) to compare it to...
Well it's basically a step down from an M3. More comfortable on the highway but prob at the acceptable lower limit for a track car as far as it goes.

I've seen the i8 rated with excellent handling but I've also seen 135i's get great handling reviews. The on track result was that while it can keep up it really needs to tighten up to be real track car.

BMW has a lux suspension, a 'Sport' suspension that was standard on -35is or upgrade on -28is. Then they have the proper M sport suspension on the M propers and then they do the crazier CS and CSL.

Would you feel the i8 was tuned for track driving or a step below? Is the adaptive suspension worth anything? The Audi version from experience can do nothing to actually pretty significant so it seems to vary.

Sorry for the questions, there are no reviews of this thing that aren't all buzzword and 'car of the future' is its impossible to get a useful opinion.

I'm at a toss up between an i8 and an M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #27
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...Would you feel the i8 was tuned for track driving or a step below? Is the adaptive suspension worth anything?...

I'm at a toss up between an i8 and an M3.
As stated in my earlier posting, the i8 is no where close to being suitable for track use. It is way too soft and is at a complete loss in the corners at speed. Understeer, body roll, soft suspension, and crappy tires are the culprits here. Its great on the highway, but way out of its element on the track. The i8 was never intended to be a track car.

I took my i8 out for a full speed track run at Autobahn Country Club on the South Track. I came in early after about 4 laps. It just felt abusive to run this car on the track. (To both myself and the car)

I have an M4 track car and I've driven a LOT of M cars on a variety of tracks (RA, VIR, CMS, Nurburgring, AutobahnCC) and I can tell you unequivocally that there is no comparison between the M3 and the i8 on track.

If you are looking for a car to track, skip the i8 and move directly to the M3!

Last edited by evanevery; 10-02-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #28
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I have to disagree a bit. I just took my i8 to the track and it worked fine. My son was behind me a said there was very little body roll. Now it’s not the harsh, brutal ride a focused track car will give and the tires are way too small to get a fast lap time but all things considered, it was fine. One issue is the battery will deplete itself if you're on the accelerator a lot but the brakes seems to last forever. YMMV.

I had no trouble keeping up with a late model M3 (obviously driver dependent) and was equal or faster on the straight. Like I said though, the tires are the limiting factor.
Appreciate 0