09-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
i8 and autocross

First of all, I know that the i8 is not an ideal autocross car. So, let me get that out of the way.

Now, when I look at the car list on many autocross events, the Tesla has a category listed, but no i8.

I'm referring to the local SCCA events.

Am I crazy or am I correct? I ask, because if the i8 fit into any particular category, I'd still go compete just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

I'm sure they can put it into a category. It's all formulas. You probably don't see it listed because very few people have taken theirs out for that kind of fun. (It seems very few people even drive theirs on the streets!?!)

In the BMW CCA Autocross they placed me in Group AA. (completely stock: original wheels, street tires, stock brake pads, etc.)

I attempted to see how it would do in pure electric mode. Don't bother... when you stomp the go pedal, the car will second-guess you and fire up the gas motor.

Just drop it into Sport mode, turn off traction control, and go have fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I went last night to one of the BMWNA sponsored Ultimate Driving Events. Got to see the new M850i in person, drag race in an M5, and take hot laps (i.e. autocross) in a M4. I enjoyed the autocross so mujch that I searched online to see what people had to say about doing autocross in a I8. I realize that once the battery is exhausted, the performance will be degraded, but am curious how long people found they could run it full tilt and how well it handled the course. Any recent experiences?

BTW, I was surprised to sit in the back seat of the M850i and discover that the rear seats have no more head clearance than they do in the i8. Not really capable of holding 4 people comfortably.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Typical autocross course is <1 minute and we only get max 8 runs. Is the battery pack not going to last that long? Typically there are at least 10-15 minutes in between runs too, can the motor recharge the battery sufficiently in that time if it does deplete the battery?
      08-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
Typical autocross course is <1 minute and we only get max 8 runs. Is the battery pack not going to last that long? Typically there are at least 10-15 minutes in between runs too, can the motor recharge the battery sufficiently in that time if it does deplete the battery?
I'm pretty sure the battery will last, particularly with my car having the larger capacity battery. I'm planning to sign up for an autocross event in another month or so, so will let everyone know how the car performs.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I'm pretty sure the battery will last, particularly with my car having the larger capacity battery. I'm planning to sign up for an autocross event in another month or so, so will let everyone know how the car performs.
Where did you get the larger capacity battery?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

You SHOULD autocross your i8! Its fun.

However, as it appears you may be aware, the handling of the i8 is pretty poor on the track and would be even worse on an autocross:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...3&postcount=24
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
arijaycomet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Took my prior BMW i8 to a road course:
https://arijaycomet.com/2017/08/13/t...ecoming-event/

Also took that car to an autocross event:

In both cases I can say the car did okay, but wasn't really as ideal as other examples. My wife just got a Tesla Model 3 Performance, and I'm back in a (different) 2015 BMW i8. I'll probably do some side-by-side comparisons of them soon.

Overall the i8 is capable, but on a road course the EV portion can't keep up. On the AX it does better, but some sticky tires would make a huge diff. If you really want to make it an AX beast, get some proper R-compound tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The i8 drives like a boat on a road course. The car feels REALLY heavy. The body roll and soft suspension are all culprits here. Add to all that a healthy dose of understeer and you have a car that really wallows and grinds through the corners.

Autocross performance would even be more abysmal...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
How unfortunate that some can't enjoy their i8 in spirited driving. I have found the car to be agile, confident and even on the original tires, Autocrossing, always in the top third without feeling as though I am risking loosing control even at the edge of adhesion. The limiting factor is the excellent all-round tires being pressed into a special purpose. I am running Firehawk 500 275s on rear and 245 up front on light 19" wheels. This combination and reduced diameter gives an additional 9% torque at the ground. I have personalized my car to some extent by reducing weight by some 75 pounds and adding stickier but still streetable tires - I'm sure a set of Hoosier A7 would put the car in the top 10 but that's too devoted to the sport for me. I am using a 4 lb LiFePO4 battery in place of the 33Lb AGM. With a much lighter exhaust and speaker delete, I am probably one of a few with an honest sounding i8. I have achieved my goal of a sub 4 sec 0-60 time.
Now as for the track day events, on my local track, the battery makes the first 6 laps great with the torque fill out of corners a confidence making experience. After that, well, you are just pushing a lump around with the hard working 1.5T- still fun in the twists but you have to let the turbo GTIs on sticky tires by in the straights. They are thrilled with the bragging rights and and I am just there to enjoy driving my car at the limit in the right environment.
I really want to find a wider temp range brake pad but am having little luck. Further, running the motor in the pits does not charge the battery- driving and spinning the front wheels is the charging system. Regen is great on long graceful slopes, not hard brake and turn track corners. I'm out there playing hard along with the big boys and I'm in a 1.5lt plug in hybrid.
Personally, I think I'm on the right path.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
How unfortunate that some can't enjoy their i8 in spirited driving {snip}...
I'll run anything on the track given the opportunity, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore its shortcomings...

I HAVE tracked my i8 on an open racetrack (not HPDE or autocross) and I pulled her off the circuit after about 3 laps as it was more akin to vehicular abuse than a track exercise.

Its pretty clear why no one is making performance pads for the i8...

Its awful hard to "enjoy my i8 in spirited driving" when I have the option to enjoy an ACTUAL track capable car like the M4. You can be condescending about how unfortunate it is that I have this "problem" but it still doesn't make the i8 any better on the track.

The list of "cars better than the i8 for track work" is a very long one and many of them are very cost effective. I'll take a simple Miata (spec or otherwise) for track work all day long over the i8. Hell, even a stock Civic Type R turns in significantly better Ring times than an AC Schnitzer modified i8: https://carbuzz.com/news/the-fastest...ll-pretty-slow

But, as I've said earlier in this thread "You SHOULD autocross your i8! Its fun" particularly if that's your only choice...

Last edited by evanevery; 05-07-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
I assume that the lack of front performance brake pads is due mostly because the front pads are unique to the i8 unlike the rears that are shared by many BMW.
Perhaps someone could share the other obvious reason. Less than ideal braking seems to be a common criticism of the i8.
Appreciate 0