United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Okay,
So I guess it’s a draw. I view an SUV as the least desirable vehicle to own also.

And to “ spell it out for you”...this is an i8 forum. I don’t troll SUV forms and rag on their choice of vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
Okay,
So I guess it's a draw. I view an SUV as the least desirable vehicle to own also.

And to " spell it out for you"...this is an i8 forum. I don't troll SUV forms and rag on their choice of vehicles.
No, you just trolled a former i8 owner. I get you think suv's are undesirable but obviously they are desirable to a large percentage of the population. Desirability is subjective. The RR is pretty badass. Not many vehicles can haul around 4 ballplayers and their gear in comfort, drive along the beach, pass through flooded streets and still beat a "sports car" around the track. On the other hand, the i8's performance, or lack there of, is fairly objective!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
This is going nowhere.
You don’t own an i8.
I don’t care about SUVs
Your still on the wrong forum.
Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Yeah, most prepubescent teens would. Probably not the auto enthusiast. To each their own.
Prepubescent teens, and their moms, and their dads and their grandmothers. No one takes pictures of that SUV b/c no one cares.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, most prepubescent teens would. Probably not the auto enthusiast. To each their own.
Prepubescent teens, and their moms, and their dads and their grandmothers. No one takes pictures of that SUV b/c no one cares.
Thats cute. I can see why lay people would, cool looking car. Just wished it had performance to match its looks. Kind of the anthesis of something like the 911 R. Most people see a regular 911, the enthusiasts understand it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

skinrock you really know how to stir things up!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #29
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Thats cute. I can see why lay people would, cool looking car. Just wished it had performance to match its looks. Kind of the anthesis of something like the 911 R. Most people see a regular 911, the enthusiasts understand it.
So a real “enthusiast” has no respect for the i8? That is utterly ridiculous and an incredibly myopic take on this car. I guess all the interest and appreciation my car gets at Cars and Coffee from other “enthusiasts” who own some damn fine cars is all fake right? Or maybe they are just poseurs and not real “enthusiasts”. Yep, just a bunch of lay people with Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens who are easily impressed. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #30
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

One more thing regarding the i8’s performance. I find it to be more than adequate. My M5 wasn’t considered a slow car by any means and yet the i8 would beat it to 60 and would only start to fall behind at 80 or 90 - at which point I don’t care because I drive in the real world, not at the drag strip or air strip. The throttle response of the i8 makes it feel quicker than the M5 even though it’s down 200+ horsepower. However, the i8’s torque to weight ratio is actually better than the M5 and that instant response makes it quicker than the M5 in most situations...and no one calls the F10 M5 a slow car. Maybe performance is in the eye of the beholder as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #31
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Uh, nope. The svr lapped Nürburgring in 8:14. Ac Schnitzer's modified i8, 8:19! Face it, the i8 is sloooow!
errr…. perhaps because a Schitzer mod is a load of rubbish....wrecks the i8 aero

Back in the real world, my i8 has NEVER been remotely troubled by any truck/SUV/POS

Secondly, the i8 is totally unsuited to track work. And moreso not a long track with the Ring, as the batteries will discharge when you are driving at 10/10th for a long time. Something that cannot EVER happen on road of course.

So it's a pointless comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #32
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Quote:
So a real "enthusiast" has no respect for the i8? That is utterly ridiculous and an incredibly myopic take on this car. I guess all the interest and appreciation my car gets at Cars and Coffee from other "enthusiasts" who own some damn fine cars is all fake right? Or maybe they are just poseurs and not real "enthusiasts". Yep, just a bunch of lay people with Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens who are easily impressed. Sheesh.
Yep, thats what I am saying. I don't know many enthusiasts that get excited about the car. If people are really so excited to see them at c&c, maybe just drive by any dealer that has several sitting. You dont see halo cars from the big German and Italian brands sitting on the lot or absolutely tanking in value. I will take the SVR over i8 any day as did op. Will wait till Mission e is out and kills the i8 in price and performance!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #33
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

People get excited over Range Rovers? If you pulled up to a car meet in a range, people would actually care?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #34
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I feel for the OP, who is a really decent guy.

Pity a trolling clown had to then come on here to start a bunfight. Just to be clear, NOTHING negative here is directed by anyone at the OP.

I even like the RR, but seriously Mr Troll, stop comparing it to ANY sports car. Much less an i8 which it has NOTHING in common with.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #35
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

First, Congrats skinrock! Sick ride.

Second, I really don't understand why everyone is all up in arms. Rad doc criticized the i8. It's an internet forum. He has the right to do that. Furthermore, as i8 drivers we should be able to criticize our own vehicles as well. Especially when it comes to pointing out the flaws.

I think the i8 under-performs personally and I'm tired of reading people on these forums responding to that criticism with the insinuation that anyone who feels that way just doesn't "get it." I get it, I just don't agree with "it." The car needs more power, a better sound system and the ability to customize more settings via software for starters.

It's one of the prettiest sports cars on the road, I'll give it that.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #36
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Damn... this thread got hijacked with childish banter so quick. Congratulations on a sick ride. Love the SVR. I'm considering one too to replace my i8.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:53 AM   #37
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Indeed.

Never been a fan of the RR, mostly down to image in the UK (and reliability) but it's a mighty fine machine. If you need a bit of practicality and could only have one car, it's hard to argue against something like the RRS.
      07-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #38
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Indeed.

Never been a fan of the RR, mostly down to image in the UK (and reliability) but it's a mighty fine machine. If you need a bit of practicality and could only have one car, it's hard to argue against something like the RRS.
Interesting perspective. Never knew there was a negative image or stereotype associated with RR in UK. As for reliability, never had any issues. More reliable than our bimmers have been by far. Not sure but I hear reliability issues come on the cheaper lineups. Either way, for a multipurpose vehicle very hard to beat. Much prefer them to x5/6 lineup.

As to the thread direction, sorry it went the way it did. Someone made a snide "boat" comment to op to which I reacted. I guess some owners here cant defend their rides without calling the "troll" moniker. Oh well, I just pointed out the i8's performance severely lags. Compare it to the nsx for example.

And btw jasH you said, "Just to be clear, NOTHING negative here is directed by anyone at the OP." Not exactly accurate as if you read the thread someone referred to the svr as a "boat" and another "soccer mom car". Seems a lot of i8 owners dish it but cant take it. But I do like your 720s.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 03:50 AM   #39
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Interesting perspective. Never knew there was a negative image or stereotype associated with RR in UK. As for reliability, never had any issues. More reliable than our bimmers have been by far. Not sure but I hear reliability issues come on the cheaper lineups. Either way, for a multipurpose vehicle very hard to beat. Much prefer them to x5/6 lineup.

As to the thread direction, sorry it went the way it did. Someone made a snide "boat" comment to op to which I reacted. I guess some owners here cant defend their rides without calling the "troll" moniker. Oh well, I just pointed out the i8's performance severely lags. Compare it to the nsx for example.

And btw jasH you said, "Just to be clear, NOTHING negative here is directed by anyone at the OP." Not exactly accurate as if you read the thread someone referred to the svr as a "boat" and another "soccer mom car". Seems a lot of i8 owners dish it but cant take it. But I do like your 720s.
I'm sure nobody has taken serious offence.

Reliability, I know what you mean, not sure any marque is really worse than another these days - probably just my perception and hearing stories as I've never owned one! You on the other hand have owned BMWs and an i8 so are personally familiar with both brands.

The image problem in the UK is that RR (and SUVs in general) are huge, inefficient and stereotypically driven by affluent mothers on the school run. Not a problem for me but hugely negative in a country obsessed with liberalism, environmentalism and where success is often frowned upon. I doubt this image is apparent in Texas!
      07-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Meh. Too many moms doing the school run in those around here.
SVRs are very far and few between. I've seen maybe one SVR (besides mine, obviously). The i8 is actually becoming pretty common around here.

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and most beholders will flock around the i8 and ignore the RR.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
People get excited over Range Rovers? If you pulled up to a car meet in a range, people would actually care?
Actually, I took it to a meet a few weekends ago, and yes...people were taking pictures and asking questions. Mind you, there were classic and new Porsches, McLarens, Lamborghinis, Ferarris, etc. In fact, the folks that are interested in it are very pleasant to talk to because they actually appreciate what they are admiring. Sure, the i8 draws attention from all sorts...good and bad. In all honesty, I prefer the low-key attention the SVR brings. It's also fun seeing the confused looks when my exhaust crackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfiv3 View Post
skinrock you really know how to stir things up!
I'm used to it from the E90 days...this is nothing new. Glad to provide the free entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I feel for the OP, who is a really decent guy.

Pity a trolling clown had to then come on here to start a bunfight. Just to be clear, NOTHING negative here is directed by anyone at the OP.

I even like the RR, but seriously Mr Troll, stop comparing it to ANY sports car. Much less an i8 which it has NOTHING in common with.
Haha, no worries...as you can see, I dropped off after this. Haters gonna hate...they can make the soccer mom jokes all they want, but it's poor execution - given the looks, power and sound, comparing this to a standard RR or even non-SVR RR Sport doesn't make a whole lot of a sense. To each their own, I love driving a big SUV just as much as a sports coupe. I just decided to stick with SUV this time around. As was mentioned, the interior of the RR (especially a fully loaded SVR like what I have) is leagues ahead of most. The comfort, quality and amenities just can't be beat (and that is my opinion, doesn't mean you have to agree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Damn... this thread got hijacked quick with childish banter so quick. Congratulations on a sick ride. Love the SVR. I'm considering one too to replace my i8.
I've loved every minute of mine so far. I miss the i8, but I do not regret getting the SVR one bit.
      08-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #41
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Exclamation

Quote:
Uh, nope. The svr lapped Nürburgring in 8:14. Ac Schnitzer's modified i8, 8:19! Face it, the i8 is sloooow!
First off: Congrats on the Jag bruiser. That is one hell of a soundtrack for your life.

Second: On the internet theres a fair bit of comparing laptimes on the ring. And in this case it makes no sense.
*Rant mode on*
Sure the SVR is fast, its got mega tyres 4x4 and massive power.
But understand as one that drives regularly on the Ring, these big cars might post a laptime, hell if youre a fabulous driver you may even repeat it + 20 seconds.
But, and it is a big but. If you rip your SVR round the Ring @ that speed that will set you back: 1 set of tyres per 2 laps. Prbbly 1 set of pads and discs per 5-10 laps.
Now the brakes and tyres are enormous on a SVR so that is going to be:
1: Very expensive.
2: Very annoying as you have to have them swapped, or drive around @ 50% speed. *this is more annoying than it sounds, as golfs and suzukis are going to fly past you and constantly blink to get you out of the way*

Finally. Even if your nutty enough (and all praise to the nutty to actually DO this. It will not be fun. Fact.
It is very annoying to drive fast in a big car on the ring.
1: Its a VERY high speed track, so you would be braking constantly early to stop in time.
2: Its very narrow, so all occupants will flop around as you try to guide it around.
3: Grip levels are low (think normal tarmac) so you will be sliding into understeer, understeer and more understeer in such a big barge.

Now I just come from a 991 Porsche, and I find the i8 a great sportscar. I recently drove it back to back with a M4, 991.2 and a 458 Speciale @ full speed.

Its waay better handling than both the M4 and the 991, the chassis is just so stiff and the whole thing is setup for nimble handling, just turn off the ESP.
On power, well it could be faster but I think it's besides the point. if your flying round a track, a good driver can go really fast all day in it and have FUN.
When you dont want to go fast it is sooo much better than anything at eating miles and doing the daily runs.

oh and the 458, on a different planet

*rant mode off*
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #42
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
Quote:
First off: Congrats on the Jag bruiser. That is one hell of a soundtrack for your life.

Second: On the internet theres a fair bit of comparing laptimes on the ring. And in this case it makes no sense.
*Rant mode on*
But understand as one that drives regularly on the Ring, these big cars might post a laptime, hell if youre a fabulous driver you may even repeat it + 20 seconds.
But, and it is a big but. If you rip your SVR round the Ring @ that speed that will set you back: 1 set of tyres per 2 laps. Prbbly 1 set of pads and discs per 5-10 laps.
2: Very annoying as you have to have them swapped, or drive around @ 50% speed. *this is more annoying than it sounds, as golfs and suzukis are going to fly past you and constantly blink to get you out of the way*

Finally. Even if your nutty enough (and all praise to the nutty to actually DO this. It will not be fun. Fact.
1: Its a VERY high speed track, so you would be braking constantly early to stop in time.
2: Its very narrow, so all occupants will flop around as you try to guide it around.
3: Grip levels are low (think normal tarmac) so you will be sliding into understeer, understeer and more understeer in such a big barge.

Now I just come from a 991 Porsche, and I find the i8 a great sportscar. I recently drove it back to back with a M4, 991.2 and a 458 Speciale @ full speed.

Its waay better handling than both the M4 and the 991, the chassis is just so stiff and the whole thing is setup for nimble handling, just turn off the ESP.
On power, well it could be faster but I think it's besides the point. if your flying round a track, a good driver can go really fast all day in it and have FUN.
When you dont want to go fast it is sooo much better than anything at eating miles and doing the daily runs.

*rant mode off*
Quote:
Quote:

*Rant mode on*

*rant mode off*

So does i8 run out of battery on the track? Typical US track day is 3 30 minute sessions.

Would be annoying to lose 120 hp after a few laps. Or does the car regenerate power to make it around.

Also, how do you handle the gears. My understanding is the car uses the electric motor at low rpm and the power of the ice at high rpm. Thus exiting a corner would you up shift for torque and let it transition to power in the rear rather than max the torque in the rear axle?

Also, can you fit bigger wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #43
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
...Its waay better handling than both the M4 and the 991, the chassis is just so stiff and the whole thing is setup for nimble handling, just turn off the ESP.
Um, no. Not even close...

I track my M4 and I can tell you all day long the i8 is never gonna keep up with it on the track. It simply doesn't have the grip and balance that the M4 has.

The i8 is very well planted and does really great at high speed (150+ on the Autobahn), but even then its not as sure footed as the M4.

I own and have driven both flat out on the Autobahn and also on the track (I'm an Autobahn Country Club member).

The best Ring time for an i8 = 8:19 https://carbuzz.com/news/the-fastest...ll-pretty-slow

The Ring time for a stock M4 = 7:52 https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mot...80%98ring-time

That being said... I didn't buy my i8 Roadster thinking it was going to perform as well as my M4. I bought it as a summertime replacement for my M6 Convertible. It does a lot of things very well, is quite comfortable, fun to drive, looks great, and is very unique as a convertible EV.

The i8 is a sum of all the things it can do although its not particularly the "best" at any one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #44
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Evanevery, have you ever tried your i8 in an autocross? I doubt it could match a M4 there either, but am curious how much fun the i8 would be. I would think the shorter durations of autocross runs would also suit the i8's limited battery capacity so that one has full, AWD power for a number of runs.

BTW, here is a video by Autocar comparing the track performance of the M4 and i8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=D3p8Ao26t1A

Last edited by drlonline; 08-23-2018 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0