Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Rbvght
Rep
Drives: i3 2018 Model

2018 i3: both DAB reception and Apple CarPLay problems, also after replacing head uni

Hi all,

I have a 2018 model i3 (the one with the flat blinker lights, not round).

Happy about many things, but facing problems with the audio system since the day I purchased it. The car has Navigation Professional (option 609), DAB tuner (654), Harman Kardon HiFI system (674) and Apple CarPlay support (6CP). I am experiencing two problems:

1. The DAB radio stops playing regularly for a second or 5. On a half our trip to work this happen 8-10 times, but it also happens when the car is stationary. I have two other cars with DAB radios (with proper antenna configuration, not windscreen areals) and they never have reception problems on the same locations/routes at all. I have no other devices in the car than can interfere with the DAB reception (I know that some 12V USB adapters cause problems).

2. When playing songs using Apple CarPlay, I usually hear two or three audio glides in the songs. They are typically at equal intervals, like at 8 seconds, 16 sec. and 24 sec., or at 12 seconds, 24 sec. and 36 sec. Seems to suggest an audio buffering issue. When the same song is repeated, there are no glides, once you play another song, you usually have glitches again.

Recently week, the garage attempted to fix these problems. They kept the car 5 days, and I was explained they replaced the entire head unit. Unfortunately, at no avail; the problems persist.

Interestingly, the loan car I had from the garage, an 2017 i3 model with basically the same configuration as mine (Navigation Professional, DAB, Harman Kardon) did not have any of the DAB reception problems, again on the same routes and locations!!! The loaner had no CarPLay support, so I could not test that.

Anyone with similar problems? Why would the 2017 i3 model I tried have a perfectly working radio, and my 2018 model not?

Thanks for any replies and sharing experiences!
- rudi
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

De-select CarPlay and play same songs via iDrive GUI (USB and Bluetooth). Check if the audio problem persists.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Rbvght
Rep

That's a good suggestion, haven't tried that yet. Will do so when I get back from the trip I am on (without the i3...)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
Rbvght
Rep

Dear Encanto,

That was a good suggestion. After I disabled CarPlay and used the regular Bluetooth streaming, I hear no more glidges in the audio playback of iTunes. Also, this allows me to stream the radio stations I’d like to listen to from my phone, bypassing the DAB receiver altogether.

At the same time, moving to this option is like giving up quite some user convenience. You can’t control iTunes songs from the car/screen anymore. And you need to start a radio stream from the phone instead of just turning on the car radio... so using the phone while driving is dangerous.

So I’d still like BMW to fix the radio so it works as one might expect...
Appreciate 0