Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #23
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafelabdal View Post
The truth is that this "i4" is an expensive car with no new technologies or innovations over its ICE brethren and can't make a convicting case of why one should spend $75K for it. You can convince your self otherwise but that is the truth.
The real truth is that BMW i4 was named one of the most efficient EV out there, and it has now also earned the Saloon of the year by TopGear.

These are actual awards, not trash talking or "rebuttals" by random posters in a forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #24
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
-snip- You also said we can buy a fully loaded 4 series Gran Coup for $55k. -snip-
Coupe -- a two or four-door saloon w/ a sloping roof line

Coup -- where you keep your chickens ---and yes, I know the actual spelling is coop

carry on!
      12-02-2021, 04:54 PM   #25
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Coupe -- a two or four-door saloon w/ a sloping roof line

Coup -- where you keep your chickens ---and yes, I know the actual spelling is coop

carry on!
Nah I meant to write as Gran insurrection.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4650.00
      12-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #26
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
The car starts at $8,xxx USD more than the ICE car, in theory $500-ish more if we still qualify for the $7,500 tax credit (up in the air). Regardless, no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #27
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Based on most of the comments above I feel like I've stumbled on to the Audi or Mercedes site… 😜
Good going BMW, Top Gear is not an easy audience to please 🙂!!
Not really; Audi and Mercedes are just as boring in the segment IMO
      12-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
Not really; Audi and Mercedes are just as boring in the segment IMO
Not so sure about that. Our brief exposure to a 2016 Audi brought a lot of excitement to our lives. We got to meet and talk with people in the Service Department often, as well as Customer Relations people in the corporation, read lots of repair orders and reasons why things couldn't be fixed and/or excluded from warranty. Not boring at all! But, we decided we couldn't handle this much excitement ever again, dumped the A6, and settled for the reduced excitement of this kind with 3 BMWAG products that have been reasonably close to flawless for years. If a hands-on reveals the i4 works for me and they fix the base price to get the tax credit, I'll be happy to stay in the BMW family!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #29
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:
Absolutely no rebuttal to what I stated earlier. Other than it can go from 0-60 in x amount of time, and instant torque.

Is there anything else? Oh, it drives "quiet", lol.

And for your information yes, I did drive an EV for sometime.

The truth is that this "i4" is an expensive car with no new technologies or innovations over its ICE brethren and can't make a convicting case of why one should spend $75K for it. You can convince your self otherwise but that is the truth.
So in other words you’re just trolling. Got it and see ya.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #30
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
You've obviously never driven a high end BEV. That's OK. If you did you would see the wisdom of the I4. My BEV will be my 4th after a Tesla MS, Jaguar I-Pace and my current Audi e-Tron. I would never go back to ICE and that has nothing whatever to do with the environment. The environmental issue is just a plus.
Absolutely no rebuttal to what I stated earlier. Other than it can go from 0-60 in x amount of time, and instant torque.

Is there anything else? Oh, it drives "quiet", lol.

And for your information yes, I did drive an EV for sometime.

You are completely wrong.

Motors are new with no permanent magnets or rare earth materials. Designed BMW and manufactured by BMW.

GPS aware regen. No other cars do this.
Advanced braking that uses a dynamic mix of regen and regular brakes. On the M50 up to 200kw or regen.

Advanced ADAS if you opt for it including hands free traffic jam another other things.

Heat pumps for various uses.

It may look like a 4 series GC but it is not just a GC with some electric motors. There is plenty of advanced tech. You just don't see it.

Anyway a M440 Xi GC fully loaded is $70k and it's missing about 170hp.
      12-03-2021, 06:07 AM   #31
The_Misano_Blues
Registered
Rep
Drives: F40 118i MSport Manual '22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
While you might prefer the look of a classic BMW, that the i4 tries to hold on to, it's really a massive waste of opportunity that it's just a ICE platform they are sharing.

Massive BMW bonnet, with no frunk - could at least have made a decent size room for cables etc.
Still gigantic transmission tunnel - in a car without a transmission.
No extra interior space because of the electrification gains.

I really looked forward to this car, when the first concept was shown, but it's a let down that it's just a BMW 4-GC with a electric drivetrain
BMW are moving away from the frunk I believe, to do with having a variable weight on the front axle. I think you get underfloor storage in the rear which acts as your charger holder
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #32
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Misano_Blues View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
While you might prefer the look of a classic BMW, that the i4 tries to hold on to, it's really a massive waste of opportunity that it's just a ICE platform they are sharing.

Massive BMW bonnet, with no frunk - could at least have made a decent size room for cables etc.
Still gigantic transmission tunnel - in a car without a transmission.
No extra interior space because of the electrification gains.

I really looked forward to this car, when the first concept was shown, but it's a let down that it's just a BMW 4-GC with a electric drivetrain
BMW are moving away from the frunk I believe, to do with having a variable weight on the front axle. I think you get underfloor storage in the rear which acts as your charger holder
They did spend a long time harking on about their weight distribution in adverts of the past. However, the 40e is quite weight biased to the rear. So, adding nose weight would make sense…

I'd bet that the 40e and M50 share identical placement of everything up front except the motor. So, no Frunk for financial reasons.

The long nose and sitting between the wheels is what makes a BMW feel like it does to me. I have had BMW's since 2009 and love the way the car feels like it pivots around the driver. The front occupants are arround the centre of mass. So, part of a sports saloon design.

I will not argue that the i4 could have been better as a pure BEV design. But, for now this is cost effective and quick.

My F31 340i is 5 years old now and I'm ready to change. This car will be my target 6 years old, come my delivery. The i4 family hatchback has the range and practicality I need as a fun daily driver. Come 6 years time in 2028 the UK will be two years off banning the sale of new petrols. Petrol is now well over £7 a gallon for premium fuel in the U.K. With a growth of environmentalism, I feet that a similar specified 340i or 440iGC would likely cost me more over the next 6 years!

I believe Top Gear, a UK 'institution' has recognised this change and named a car that, like for me, appears to tick all boxes as a fun family daily driver. But, the proof will be in the pudding…
      12-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #33
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

Motors are new with no permanent magnets or rare earth materials. Designed BMW and manufactured by BMW.

Advanced braking that uses a dynamic mix of regen and regular brakes. On the M50 up to 200kw or regen.

Advanced ADAS if you opt for it including hands free traffic jam another other things.

It may look like a 4 series GC but it is not just a GC with some electric motors. There is plenty of advanced tech. You just don't see it.

Ironically given his comments, the mass appeal of the i4 is that it doesn't shout that it has technical innovations and that it is in fact a 4 series GC, only different Check's pretty much all of the boxes for someone who's transitioning from ICE to BEV
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #34
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Has any prospective i4 buyer cross shopped Porsche Taycan?

The Porsche Performance Battery Plus is $80k+, and 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, not bad right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #35
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

I Have, and only just last week. I tested the Cross Tourismo 4S. In the UK by the time you add some "essential extras", you are paying £20k over the fully loaded i4 M50 price and the Taycan is still short of much of the tech the i4 provides.
  • As tested, the Taycan performance is amazing, but I expect the i4 to be better.
  • The Taycan range wasn't great - it was fully charged and showed 208 miles. Temperature and the previous driver having an impact.
  • It's a big car - but too big for what I want or need.
  • I didn't get on with the touch screens. Finger prints everywhere that I just found annoying and a distraction.
  • My car had a rattle in the passenger seat - surprising in a Porsche
  • The Porsche residuals are better, but you pay a premium. Swings and roundabouts

So overall, I'm sticking with my i4 order.

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #36
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Techwiz, I’m curious what ‘GPS aware’ regen is? That’s the first I’ve heard of this.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #37
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
The roadblock with the Taycan is that the allocations for a new order is 1.5 years out and most dealers are tacking in $5-$10k mark-ups. That put a stop for me even though the Taycan was my 1st choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #38
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Techwiz, I'm curious what 'GPS aware' regen is? That's the first I've heard of this.
Here is a good explanation of it from an iX3 video.

It's called adaptive but uses GPS data so is uses ADAS and GPS.
      12-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #39
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Very cool, but is it in the i4 too or just the iX?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:20 PM   #40
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Very cool, but is it in the i4 too or just the iX?
It's apparently a feature on the iX3, i4 and IX.

This review of the i4 M50 talks about it also.
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/61725/
      12-07-2021, 02:58 AM   #41
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

Adaptive recuperation is mentioned in the manual
Attached Images

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #42
shawn2010
Rep
Drives: M3

love it
      12-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #43
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn2010 View Post
love it
There aren't any other cars outside of BMW that have adaptive regeneration.

But remember the i4 doesn't have much tech. At least according to people that don't read.
      12-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #44
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There aren't any other cars outside of BMW that have adaptive regeneration.

But remember the i4 doesn't have much tech. At least according to people that don't read.
Actually my Audi e-Tron has a similar feature. Although I'm not aware of it using map data, it does anticipate the degree of regenerative braking based on the distance of the car ahead.

I actually don't use the feature and instead rely on a setting where I use the highest degree of regenerative braking, to come as close as I can to one pedal driving.
Appreciate 0