Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #67
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List

http://en.espnf1.com/turkey/motorspo...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS
      05-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #68
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

It was a great race. So much for Hamilton, all the hype that lead up to this race and not even a podium finish... weak.

I have to ask, those redbull jackets look pretty stealth. A few pics show Webber with it and 1 or 2 with Vettel. Anyone got one of these jackets in the US? Do they match fairly similar to US sizes?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #69
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
So much for Hamilton, all the hype that lead up to this race and not even a podium finish... weak.
um. What hype?
      05-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #70
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
So much for Schumi, all the hype lead up since March 2010 up to this race and now even a podium finish....weak...
      05-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #71
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
It was a great race. So much for Hamilton, all the hype that lead up to this race and not even a podium finish... weak.

I have to ask, those redbull jackets look pretty stealth. A few pics show Webber with it and 1 or 2 with Vettel. Anyone got one of these jackets in the US? Do they match fairly similar to US sizes?
It was an average race by Hamilton's standards, but I just think Mclaren was lacking pace in general. He had a tough time climbing up the grid, and coupled with that horrible pit stop, pretty much could do nothing by the time he got past Rosberg.

Anyone else surprised by the sudden pace of the Ferrari? I don't know where it came from, but it's damn positive to see! Hopefully Mclaren + Ferrari can continue closing the gap over the next two weeks, to give us some great,close racing in Barcelona + Monaco.

Can't believe we have to wait another 2 weeks, ugh.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #72
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
The only grief I got from Speed is just the commercials. Overall is mediocre, they need to do more research and collecting news. For example Timo Glock's relegation to P24 was due to a gear box changed. (he ended up didn't make it to the grid at all). All I heard from speed was "some sort of penalty". But BBC found Timo and talked about the situation while mechanics from HRT are changing it. Speed will need to do better on pitlane news.

That's what I meant, they timed their commercial breaks terribly. They missed Alonso passing Webber, Webber passing Alonso, Massa passing Hamilton, Hamilton/Massa pit scramble, and some other key pit stops that now escapes me.

You're right though, their information is pretty poor as well. They typically have pretty minimal insight about the race unfolding before us, and I occasionally feel more knowledgable than them.

Whereas with the BBC, I always feel like they have something interesting to add that I hadn't thought of before. Their pre-race and post-race show is generally worth watching, too.

The only area where SPEED is better is in regards to remaining unbiased. They typically try to not pick sides, which I appreciate. BBC, on the other hand, are so overly supportive of JB/Hamilton (and occasionally Webber) that it can get a bit sickening. Only Eddie Irvine (ironically enough) comes across as reasonably unbiased.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #73
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
um. What hype?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ble-speed.html

Confident or cocky? If you ask me, cocky! Having all the know how and wind tunnel knowledge doesnt really help when you go wide on the first turn of the race.

All the talk and the win in China made him the runner up guy who had some chance to catch Vet. I guess Alonso filled that spot on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #74
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ble-speed.html

Confident or cocky? If you ask me, cocky! Having all the know how and wind tunnel knowledge doesnt really help when you go wide on the first turn of the race.

All the talk and the win in China made him the runner up guy who had some chance to catch Vet. I guess Alonso filled that spot on Sunday.
If Vettel said the same thing, he is confident.
If Webber said the same thing, he is a sore loser.
If Alonso said the same thing, he is giving a team order.
If Button said the same thing, he knows tires very well.
If Shumi said the same thing, he's too old for the game.
If Massa said the same thing, Ferrari told him to say it.

Same quote from different drivers will give a different impression. I kind of getting a feeling that no matter what LH said. You'll hate it. He said it to either boost confidence of the team or just being cocky.
      05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #75
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Good race overall, nice to see Ferrari on the podium.

Starting to feel bad for Schumacher, Rosberg is doing well which shows us his faults aren't lying with the car.
      05-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #76
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If Vettel said the same thing, he is confident.
If Webber said the same thing, he is a sore loser.
If Alonso said the same thing, he is giving a team order.
If Button said the same thing, he knows tires very well.
If Shumi said the same thing, he's too old for the game.
If Massa said the same thing, Ferrari told him to say it.

Same quote from different drivers will give a different impression. I kind of getting a feeling that no matter what LH said. You'll hate it. He said it to either boost confidence of the team or just being cocky.
Ha, I wont deny it- I'm not the biggest LH fan. Specially ever since he went on that rant about Redbull being just a drinks company. We will see what happens with the rest of the season. I wouldnt be surprised if Alonso becomes Vets closest threat from this point on.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #77
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ha, I wont deny it- I'm not the biggest LH fan. Specially ever since he went on that rant about Redbull being just a drinks company. We will see what happens with the rest of the season. I wouldnt be surprised if Alonso becomes Vets closest threat from this point on.
Let's not get too excited, Ferrari are still off the pace. Alonso drove the wheels off his car to get it to 3rd, IMO. I think it will still be a few more months before they can get within 0.1-0.2 s of Red Bull (like last year), if that is at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #78
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunate to see Vettel Sunday drive it to another win though.
LOL

Sorry, but your LH is naggy AND cocky. A crap combo for a pro.
For his 'sunday drive' win, at least Vettel keeps handling it like a pro (especially considering the fact that he's only 23yrs old).

I am happy to see Ferrari quit bitching about RBR's front wing to the FIA like a bunch of nags, went back to the drawing board, and actually came up with something that will allow them to be somewhat competitive (well FA anyway).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #79
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

That's not his best word out of his mouth this season...

There's still a long way to go this season
And in fact last year FA was SV/MW closest rival!!!
I just hope the season won't be concluded just half way thru...
      05-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #80
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially since I don't consider a passing remark to be the same as a rant. Contrary to what most of the media outlets will lead you to believe.

Besides, stating the obvious really isn't as derogatory as it has been implied to be. The actual quote doesn't read quite the same since the emphatic 'just' wasn't really said.

Quote:
Red Bull are not a manufacturer, they are a drinks company. It's a drinks company versus McLaren/Ferrari history. I don't know what their plan is. Our team is building to become a bigger manufacturer, like Ferrari, and I can only see our team being there for a ridiculous amount of time. It is a pure-bred racing team.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 05-09-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #81
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
LOL

Sorry, but your LH is naggy AND cocky. A crap combo for a pro.
For his 'sunday drive' win, at least Vettel keeps handling it like a pro (especially considering the fact that he's only 23yrs old).

I am happy to see Ferrari quit bitching about RBR's front wing to the FIA like a bunch of nags, went back to the drawing board, and actually came up with something that will allow them to be somewhat competitive (well FA anyway).
You seem to be quite worked up over a rather passive comment from me.

I tire of pointing out the obvious, but these drivers aren't paid millions to be passive nor lose. They are cocky because that's what it takes to win. You have to believe in yourself more than anyone else. (cue Webber) I don't know if you have much experience in competitive sports, but this is almost rule #1. Mentality plays a heavy role.

And for Hamilton, if you think his road to F1 was easy you need a reality check. I mean no disrespect to you, but he has a right to be whatever degree of cocky you perceive him as. All F1 drivers do. I'll loathe the day we get a grid full of quiet, humble, nonchalant F1 drivers.

As the pinnacle of Motorsports drivers, it is only natural that their personality and attitude reflect such.
      05-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #82
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

By the way, what part of Hamilton's win in China left you feeling he was unprofessional or somehow uncouth?

Or, if you want to talk cocky.
      05-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #83
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By the way, what part of Hamilton's win in China left you feeling he was unprofessional or somehow uncouth?

Or, if you want to talk cocky.
That's why I like them both (SV and LH), they're both so confident and good at what they are doing!

A driver without confident and a certain cockiness is losing.

I don't see Jenson being confident this season, I saw Martin Brundle interviewed him before the Turkish GP and he was feeling uneasy and uncomfortable. As if something is wrong with his car. Compare to his comfort level and confidence level in Australia 2009 was a total 180 degrees difference. Martin Brundle asked him before the first race in 2009, "Jenson, Well, Can you do this?" "Yes!"

Last edited by E90SLAM; 05-10-2011 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #84
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's why I like them both (SV and LH), they're both so confident and good at what they are doing!
I agree. I just wish Newey would share a bit of his sweet sweet aero love'n.
      05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #85
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
A driver is nothing without attitude!
      05-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #86
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Was just searching around and found someone had captured the original intro for 2011.

I really like Sean Bean's narrative. The way he says the round name seems to make my ears perk.

05-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #87
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Was finally able to watch it and I had a few thoughts (since I'm still pretty new to F1)

Rosberg. The last two races he's been really strong and kind of faded to the back of the pack later in the race. What gives?

Teams? Does being on the same team solely mean that you have same constructor? I was enjoying the battle going between the McLaren boys, but at some point they're on the same team. I think that 2-3 lap scuffle cost them both a lot of time. IDK.

DRS. I agree with everyone who thought the DRS was too long. Maybe FIA should break up a long DRS zone into 2 smaller zones? Other than the McLaren's battling themselves, quite a few people overtaking Schumi fairly easily, and Alonso being faster than the RB7 in quite a few corners, but losing in the straights...I also noticed a few cars that were behind and had their DRS armed and overtook a car and was still able to activate thier DRS and just pull away, as opposed to passing.

KERS. Did RBR have a working KERS? I didn't anything about it during the race and it seemed like when they cut to on-board with Webber, his little red battery never moved. Did he just never activate it or are they STILL having problems?

Again, I'm new to following the sport and have a basic understanding of how things work, but so far it's been an awesome season!!
      05-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #88
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Vettel is just flat out quick!!!

Quote:
May 8, 2011 - Close examination of Sebastian Vettel’s DRS (Drag Reduction System, or cockpit-adjustable rear wing flap) use during his superb Istanbul pole lap reveals his astonishing feel for grip and harmony at the daunting Turn 8 corner – in the dry, at any rate. Although not shown on the live TV feed, Vettel’s onboard pictures clearly indicate that he flatted his rear wing flap before the corner’s third apex. The choppy TV feed from Istanbul this week does not show all of Vettel’s major competitors in exactly the same position – fans have been clamouring for full DRS data since the start of the season – but Nico Rosberg, by comparison, flattened his rear flap just as his Mercedes was pointing straight at the exit of Turn 8 on his P3 lap late in Q3. With Michael Schumacher “mystified” by how he could be a full second slower than Nico in Q3, one wonders how Michael’s DRS useage compared in this corner, particularly – and, of course, on others round the lap. I have no evidence of flap usage in Turn 8 from the two McLaren drivers or Mark Webber, but Vettel’s achievement was astonishing, no matter how you cut it. He crashed heavily at Turn 8 in the wet on Friday, missed all of FP2 and was then instantly quick in FP3 in the rebuilt RBR7. And then he was confident enough with his car and for his feeling for the surface of the road to take Turn 8′s third apex “flat” – in both senses of the word.

It goes without saying that the technology exists for detailed analysis of all the laps at every F1 race – exactly where the DRS was activated by every driver on every lap – so it is a great shame that this information is not being made available to the public in real time. Knowing what Vettel was setting himself up to achieve would have added tenfold to our enjoyment of his lap. Even showing it on the live feed would have been nice, come to that!
http://www.theracedriver.com/2011/05...pex-of-turn-8/