BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

My Extended i3 Test Drive

I had to take my 2011 x3 35i in for the vanos bolt recall so I scheduled an i3 loaner and had it for over two days.

I had the Giga world version in an i3 Rex. I was thinking this could be a great car for my wife who has a very short commute and we can take the x3 for longer road trips.

I've got to say I love the i3. I love the looks, I love the drive with it's instant, quiet torque, the tech of the pristine displays, the open interior. Really, all of it. When I got back into my x3, I felt like I went back in time.

ICE cars are so loud and jerky and well... old.

All that said,here are the problems I'm having with actually considering owning this beauty that maybe you guys/girls can help me with:

1.There's no spare and there's no run flats. If ever there was a car that should have run flats, it's this one. Even the BMW Genius guy thought the goo and compressor solution sucked. This is a deal killer to me as I've had at least a puncture every year I've had the x3 and my previous run flat fitted e90.The run flats saved us a lot of time.

2. We live in Portland on a moderate hill. How will the rear drive faire in an occasional snow fall on a hill even with snow tires.

3.This is small but it bugs me, I don't see there's any lumbar support in the driver and passenger searts and this is a 50k car.

4. I'm sorry but I don't under stand why in the USA the i3 does not
Have the Range Hold feature that allows the generator to recharge the battery earlier.

5.Are the batteries replaceable? Has BMW said so or is it just speculation? How much will it cost?

6.Why does the Rex have such a small gas tank? I know there's some
CARB regulation, but if I'm going to spend $50k on a car I want it to be able to Have more range than 150 miles (and I know that's optimistic). I care less about the $7500 tax credit.

7. I get that the arguement that this is the urban runabout, but this shoe-ification of car ownership is just stupid and puts too many cars on the road.
So I have my mega city car, my SUV, my truck and my sports car.
I wish I could have all 4 but I can't- no space or enough resources.

Cars like the x3, and better, the Macan are reactions to people wanting practical cars that can
do multiple things. Things like drive like a sport sedan but haul kids and stuff when you need to and be able to handle crappy roads.

Again, i really like the i3. I know leasing would solve this issue I'm having but I hate leasing. I don't want to be beholden to some body that will tell me if my wear and tear was acceptable or not.

So what am I missing? Is there some way of thinking about the i3
That makes it a better story ?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Okay, all good questions and issues. For me, 1, 2, and 5 are most important. 1: I know, crazy - this is the only BMW I would want RFTs on and they don't have them. Since I will just run around Austin I will press the BMW assist button when needed and be glad I am not with a flat out on the highway somewhere; 2: I am from Texas and have no idea but the car is easy to operate smoothly so I would suspect it will handle well on snow tires; 5: DAMN good question since I too am buying. I am emailing my salesman now . . . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I've been lucky, and had very few flats over the years...but, the goo probably works unless it's a major hole. An advantage, if you actually drive your RFT with zero pressure, verses not moving, and repairing it, generally you have to replace the tire. With the 'normal' tire, you're not moving with it flat, and if it DOES temporarily fix it, you've saved yourself a fair amount of money.

The battery warranty on the i3 is 8-years or 100K miles. At any point before that, if it won't hold at least 70% of the charge as indicated via the computer, they'll replace the batteries under warranty. Yes, the batteries are replaceable, but it's a little more complicated than in a normal car...the assembly is heated and cooled, and sealed. It's not a huge endeavor, but it's more than replacing the battery in say your x3.

There are various videos of the i3 shown running around in the snow. With the winter tires, and some sanity, you should be fine. You would have problems if you had the 20" summer performance tires, and people with them when it gets cold or nasty may be in for a surprise!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
edev
Private
Rep
Drives: S/C E39 M5, Z3 M Coupe, e12

delete
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
edev
Private
Rep

1) BMW tested the car with RFT's and they saw that they REDUCED range by 10-12 miles. More weight=less range. Hence why we also don't get a sunroof/moonroof.

2) You'll do just fine. I'm in Portland as well. If you want to chat about i3's, I work at BMW Portland as one of our BMW Geniuses. I'm 1 of 7 BMW i Certified BMW Geniuses in the States.

3) Correct, no lumbar.

4) BMW didn't do it in the US because we have different regulations than EU.

5) jadnashuanh said it properly. The i3 has 8 different modules so BMW can hook the vehicle up to the computer and figure out which one isn't as strong. I'm not certain on price. I believe I have the number somewhere.

6) You answered your own question. It's because of regulations and CARB credits.

Last edited by edev; 10-20-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I thought I read somewhere that their was no sunroof option as US regulations require the sunroof needs to be attached to a metal structure and since CFRP is not metal the sunroof option was a nogo till that rule is reworked.

Again just here say.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
edev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I thought I read somewhere that their was no sunroof option as US regulations require the sunroof needs to be attached to a metal structure and since CFRP is not metal the sunroof option was a nogo till that rule is reworked.

Again just here say.
Hi -c-,

That could be another reason. However, I asked Jacob Harb (The Head of BMW i for North America) and he said weight was the biggest issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

If weight were a big factor, the sunroof option would not be available from the factory for most of the rest of the world. Prior to US release, the US press release had indicated the sunroof would be standard on all i3's except the base Mega package. But, once things got closer to actual product release in the USA, the sunroof was dropped entirely and the REx operation was tweaked. Certainly, the glass and rails, etc. will add weight to a tall car, but it's not huge, and lots of i3 vehicles are already running around with one in the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
edev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If weight were a big factor, the sunroof option would not be available from the factory for most of the rest of the world. Prior to US release, the US press release had indicated the sunroof would be standard on all i3's except the base Mega package. But, once things got closer to actual product release in the USA, the sunroof was dropped entirely and the REx operation was tweaked. Certainly, the glass and rails, etc. will add weight to a tall car, but it's not huge, and lots of i3 vehicles are already running around with one in the world.
Actually, for example, European drivers drive LESS than your average U.S. driver. EU wanted to take the risk (Not my words, these are the words from the head of BMW i) by adding the weight and reducing range (Since they don't drive as much as we do..a decrease in range isn't huge for them). You'll also find that Runflat Tires aren't on the car either. Sure, a sunroof might decrease range by a few miles, but in the grand picture...a few miles in the summer, is potentially a handful in the winter.

It may sound silly, but this is the way it is. I had a chance to meet with EVERYONE from BMW i in San Fran during a 3 day BMW i Certification class.

The whole, no-sunroof-in-the-US-thing came up, and the head of BMW i (For NA) said exactly what I said in my first sentence within this post.

I can confidently answer your question because I was the one who said the same exact thing you asked, but directly to everyone at BMW i. I'm right there with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edev
Quote:

Again just here say.
Hi -c-,

That could be another reason. However, I asked Jacob Harb (The Head of BMW i for North America) and he said weight was the biggest issue.
Yea these stupid outdated rules suck in the way they slow progress if indeed that is a reason. We're fighting outdated rules in our truck designs right now as the U.S. Won't allow electronic trailer brakes for tractor trailers even though in Europe they have had them for ages and completely stop jack knifing trailers but try to get them on trucks here and it's a nogo. I hear they are supposed to change the rule here sometime soon but again a missed opportunity due to stupid regulations.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
edev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yea these stupid outdated rules suck in the way they slow progress if indeed that is a reason. We're fighting outdated rules in our truck designs right now as the U.S. Won't allow electronic trailer brakes for tractor trailers even though in Europe they have had them for ages and completely stop jack knifing trailers but try to get them on trucks here and it's a nogo. I hear they are supposed to change the rule here sometime soon but again a missed opportunity due to stupid regulations.
I agree with you. It's rough and there's nothing BMW as a company can do to change it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

But on a positive note, took an extended test drive and decided to sell my 135is to buy an i3 and am not looking back. I3 specked out a little over 50k but after incentives and tax breaks cars just over 30k ...... Price of a moderately optioned Mini Cooper.

Absolutely in love with it and it's quirky nature.

Also won't miss the $230 bucks a month in gas bills and the maintenance. Best part is the payment on a new i3 is lower as the 135 was 52k new so any way I slice it I'm saving money and driving something that's not seen at every corner! Also love that it will never rust or corrode!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
edev
Private
Rep

Quote:
But on a positive note, took an extended test drive and decided to sell my 135is to buy an i3 and am not looking back. I3 specked out a little over 50k but after incentives and tax breaks cars just over 30k ...... Price of a moderately optioned Mini Cooper.

Absolutely in love with it and it's quirky nature.

Also won't miss the $230 bucks a month in gas bills and the maintenance. Best part is the payment on a new i3 is lower as the 135 was 52k new so any way I slice it I'm saving money and driving something that's not seen at every corner! Also love that it will never rust or corrode!
Congratulations! I'm hoping to add an i3 BEV to my fleet within the next month or two.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edev View Post
1) BMW tested the car with RFT's and they saw that they REDUCED range by 10-12 miles. More weight=less range. Hence why we also don't get a sunroof/moonroof.

2) You'll do just fine. I'm in Portland as well. If you want to chat about i3's, I work at BMW Portland as one of our BMW Geniuses. I'm 1 of 7 BMW i Certified BMW Geniuses in the States.

3) Correct, no lumbar.

4) BMW didn't do it in the US because we have different regulations than EU.

5) jadnashuanh said it properly. The i3 has 8 different modules so BMW can hook the vehicle up to the computer and figure out which one isn't as strong. I'm not certain on price. I believe I have the number somewhere.

6) You answered your own question. It's because of regulations and CARB credits.
Cool. I'll contact you. Thanks!

Tory
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
edev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
Cool. I'll contact you. Thanks!

Tory
Sounds great! I look forward to chatting with you.

-Eric
Appreciate 0