07-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Did i read that correctly? Zero toe or toe out in the front? Thats very surprising from a commuter car.

I'm also surprised at any expectations of "handling". The i3 has some really skinny low grip (excuse me, low rolling resistance) tires and its designed to be urban commuter appliance. What else would it be other than a mediocre or poor handler?

I dont mean that as a put down, its actually why i am interested in the car. Commuter appliance with a roundel (and cheap lease)

Edit... Arent the "sport" tires still 175mm wide only and still low rolling resistance compound? Why are they called "sport"?
http://insideevs.com/details-bmw-i3-...re-technology/

http://www.cnet.com/news/tire-tech-t...ecopia-ep500s/

Supposedly they made the tire taller hence the stock 19 and 20" options. to offset the narrow nature of the tire to make it perform like a wider tire

Not sure if it worked but cool non the less.

The dealer told me their slightly wider actually and made with a better compound and different tread pattern. At least what the dealer told me, actual tire sizes below. The sport tire deforms differently creating a better contact patch from what i understand. So who knows some of this stuff is pretty confusing.

Dealers sometime give bogus info so you really got to do your own research.

The two internet reviews I listed above can give you an idea of what the tires consist of.

Standard tires on the i3 with range extender:

Tire dimensions front: 155/70 R19
Tire dimensions rear: 175/65 R19

Optional 20" wheels:

Tire dimensions front: 155/60 R20
Tire dimensions rear: 175/55 R20

Also this car is not an appliance, just saying.

If it was I wouldn't have bought one.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #46
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The 20" tires only come with a summer, performance rubber...don't use them when it is cold or snow or ice is common. So, yes, they are a different compound and tread pattern than the 19" all-season.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #47
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post

Unfortunately I have my tires at +5 psi over recommended (both for tracking and efficiency)
Just a thought, have you tried the exact recommended pressures, and then seeing how it handles?

I run mine at the stated pressures for 2 occupants.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #48
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I guess when I go from my F80 to my wife's F30 335 with the summer staggered tires, N55 and option 704 sport suspension, I sort of think the 335 is a commuting appliance and bumble along in eco pro enjoying the soft suspension and quiet ride, and numb/light/easy to park steering, so I figured the i3 is going to be even more of an appliance than a 335

Just trying to get my expectations correct before purchasing.

I got burned recently when I expected my old E89 Z435 (adaptive suspension, DCT, cobb stage 1) to be a 987.2 boxster S PDK competitor and put it into power reduction/limp mode after 1 lap at buttonwillow ...

It's all about expectations going into the purchase

So thanks to all of you, I'm expecting 70-80mi range, and am really loving the interior in the "giga world" trim
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #49
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Just a thought, have you tried the exact recommended pressures, and then seeing how it handles?

I run mine at the stated pressures for 2 occupants.
Yes, I do have a bit of "testing gene," so I tried under. at and over inflation. The over is the best, it tracks less and actually bounces a bit less. And as a bonus gives me better efficiency.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #50
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess when I go from my F80 to my wife's F30 335 with the summer staggered tires, N55 and option 704 sport suspension, I sort of think the 335 is a commuting appliance and bumble along in eco pro enjoying the soft suspension and quiet ride, and numb/light/easy to park steering, so I figured the i3 is going to be even more of an appliance than a 335

Just trying to get my expectations correct before purchasing.

I got burned recently when I expected my old E89 Z435 (adaptive suspension, DCT, cobb stage 1) to be a 987.2 boxster S PDK competitor and put it into power reduction/limp mode after 1 lap at buttonwillow ...

It's all about expectations going into the purchase

So thanks to all of you, I'm expecting 70-80mi range, and am really loving the interior in the "giga world" trim
Yea I understand but I find the materials are feeling better than most bmws I've ever owned. Between the 5 and 3 series it's all the same junk, the one series I had also was just normal boring fair, the interior detail and materials are much cooler (not necessarily better quality) than the normal Bmw I've come to love and it gives me a whiff of something new and fun.

All new cars I've been in are now boring and look old.

I see appliance cars as cars you get at a budget rental car lot full of grey and tan plastic. No soul and basically throw away vehicles, Not a 50k dollar car made of exotic materials and super high teck fun. Also my cars I have range from 200hp to 700hp and I don't see any of lesser performing cars as an appliance car based on their performance as their so much more to them than just how fast they are.

The attention to detail and high tech materials keep this car about as far from an appliance as I can see.

Different strokes for different folks.
But all I can tell you is driving in the city I have way more fun and enjoy my drive in the i3 more than I did my 135is with 325hp and dual clutch trans, it was the wrong car for where I lived and never got to use it for what it's best at doing. But the acceleration is practically the same up till the speed limit so I'm really not missing much. .

Also the 70 and 80mile range will suffer in the winter if your in the snow belt. So plan on that when buying. I've averaged 60 miles in the 40s and 45 to 50 miles in the slightly above and below 0 temps.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #51
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I find the materials are feeling better than most bmws I've ever owned. Between the 5 and 3 series it's all the same junk,
I agree with that, and for the Giga especially. I love the seat material, and the wood dashboard. The black leather in the top trim looks like the "same old" to me, and the lack of the wood dash in the base trim is a bummer for me

My M3 is cloth seats so it has the plastic/rubber dash and it is pretty dark inside with the black roof liner. The CF trim is the only thing that is remotely "special". There is also no tech other than the standard navigation, and I got the HK stereo, but otherwise the car is stripped down

From an interior look and feel and interior tech, i3 has my M3 beat easily.

I need to spend more seat time in an i3 to make sure it will be ok for a 2 years lease, but it seems like it is at its best with a very zen driving demeanor and hyper miling efficient driving approach. The cabin is super quite around town so it is much more relaxing to be in traffic, and I found the wood and light cloth interior to be a really nice change of pace. But when I tried to get a bit more aggressive for cornering and off ramps it seems like that just isn't the comfort zone of the i3
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #52
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I find the materials are feeling better than most bmws I've ever owned. Between the 5 and 3 series it's all the same junk,
I agree with that, and for the Giga especially. I love the seat material, and the wood dashboard. The black leather in the top trim looks like the "same old" to me, and the lack of the wood dash in the base trim is a bummer for me

My M3 is cloth seats so it has the plastic/rubber dash and it is pretty dark inside with the black roof liner. The CF trim is the only thing that is remotely "special". There is also no tech other than the standard navigation, and I got the HK stereo, but otherwise the car is stripped down

From an interior look and feel and interior tech, i3 has my M3 beat easily.

I need to spend more seat time in an i3 to make sure it will be ok for a 2 years lease, but it seems like it is at its best with a very zen driving demeanor and hyper miling efficient driving approach. The cabin is super quite around town so it is much more relaxing to be in traffic, and I found the wood and light cloth interior to be a really nice change of pace. But when I tried to get a bit more aggressive for cornering and off ramps it seems like that just isn't the comfort zone of the i3
Yea the giga is also what I went with as I didn't care for the dark brown leather and the grey light interior was spot on and felt nice and open, I was tired of the cocoon feeling of all black. Plus you see much more detail with the light colors. It's nice to have in the grey dark winter. I know of a few who bought the base version and had the wood added later but feel the color needs to be accented else where so the mid level interior was for me, besides you get options with the mid level interior that you can't really retrofit later like keyless entry and such so I took the dive.

I wonder how much it helps handling when people lower their i3, I know their are a few kits out their and H&R make a kit but haven't heard any feedback on if it makes the handling any better. I know the sport tires do help a bit from the standard I test drove for a week so I know their is a difference their. I guess every little bit helps but It will never be my 1 or your M that's for sure but still once you have it you learn how to drive it smoothly and fast.

Like a few have said its like a mid engined car and you have to drive it different than a front engined vehicle. Having a lotus helps, I've become way more confident in its handling as of late and if you can take one for an extended test drive please do so. They gave me one for a week. Also check when your local dealer will have a driving event and sometimes they bring it to the course and you can really give it the beans!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #53
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Is the week long test drive standard operating procedure for selling the i3? Did you have to do anything other than ask about it?

I didn't realize that was possible, or that dealer driver events were setup like an autocross. Ive only ever been to the corporate sponsored roadshows with competitor cars and fixed routes on public roads.

If those cheap leases are still on and range in socal is the 70-80mile range I'm pretty sold. This is a straight up cost saving measure + solo hov lane access (without going to used nissan leaf or prius plug in levels)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #54
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

A 2-3 day extended test drive is more the norm. I supposed if there isn't a conflict with someone else wanting it, longer is possible to negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #55
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
A 2-3 day extended test drive is more the norm. I supposed if there isn't a conflict with someone else wanting it, longer is possible to negotiate.
Yea I received it from motor werks here in the Chicago land area. They had a few demo vehicles and from my past purchases from the dealer they had no problem letting me have it for a week, their called extended test drives and not all dealers participate so yours have to ask but it's bmw's way of getting people over the fear and say hay take it for a few days and see how you like it. Sold me after the first day. Pretty good sales tactic .

We have a track here in Chicago and Bmw hosts a lot of events here, theirs a few local dealers who setup track days as well and have a small auto-x course to get people excited about the cars and have a trainer their also for some good pointers. They had an i3 their also and people where having fun with it but you where limited to one drive around to help conserve juice. .
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #56
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Guys, I wanted to update that I was sold on i3 BEV from our convo last summar, and went in March '16 to try and lock down an i3 BEV lease and couldn't make it happen

The lease credit that had been powering the deals wasn't available anymore, and despite several weeks of back and forth, local dealer could not provide an i3 BEV for extended test drive.
Appreciate 0