X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Best car bmw makes today...will not bother to explain that statment but test one with an open mind, remind yourself its the 21st century and you will see I am right.
I will do you one better than test driving - I own an i3, and can tell you conclusively that it is NOT the best car BMW makes today.

It serves its purpose well (upscale econobox commuter), but really is not BEST at anything (see i8 and M3 if you need further elaboration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I love my i3 [...] In town the i3 is very quick, I think it would have blown my e46 ZHP 6MT away 0-40. [...] I don't recal where a I read or heard it but if a car drives well, it will be liked even if it isn't as attractive as it could be ...
Unfortunately, most of us exceed 40mph in our daily commute, which is where the i3 comes short in handling, stability, acceleration, and economy. Mind you, it's still usable, just not all that enjoyable at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Lol. My dealer has 48 i3s and 8 i8s in stock and 12 of them are 2014 model year

The GM of the dealership say they are the worst performing lineup he has seen in a long time.
Sorry, your dealership is run by morons.

There is no other logical explanation as to why they would have 48 models of the same car (i3) in inventory for any other reason. Especially, if many of them are last year's models that haven't moved.

a
Long debate but the m3, m5 x5 the new 7 etc are great cars but the competition allready makes similar models as good or better than that. Take the new 7. Close match to the s class but i am sure the new a8 will better it. Now the i3? There's nothing like. Apart from beeing a bit expensive its a great machine. For me the first 21st century bmw. Put a smile on my face the only time I drove it, something my f25 x3 never did in 4 years ownership. The i8 its good but the poor interior plastics on a car worth 100K let it down...and its too big for its purpose - sports car - so apart from beeing the best look at me thing out there doesnt have much purpose.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #46
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
all you have to do is go over 100mph and p85 has no chance of keeping up LOL
You'd need to go over 155mph
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #47
palpatine_us
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

I took the i3 for the weekend last year-

I live in upstate NY, the thing couldn't handle large inclines on gas alone (got to 50 mph with 18 wheelers behind me). I know BMW reprogrammed to keep electric available for greater periods after Consumer Reports said the same thing.

The i3 is 1 generation from being in my garage- for 40K, it had enough space, had enough range issues and drove extremely well.

Biggest problem- wife didn't like it- neither did any of the other non-tech people. They'd all rather get a real BMW.

Now if the i5 looks more like the i8 and does everything for about $70K- it'll be in my garage in the first year.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #48
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
all you have to do is go over 100mph and p85 has no chance of keeping up LOL
I'm just wondering what the acceleration is worth after it hits the 1/4 miles, lets say from 100-155mph max. It is nothing like the acceleration in the 1/4.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #49
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looking forward seeing this around LA!!!
      09-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #50
edev
Private
Rep
Drives: S/C E39 M5, Z3 M Coupe, e12

I'm happy with my garage and I think it's best of both worlds. The i3 is my daily driver and the M Coupe gets driven on weekends or nice days.

I'm not sure why people are hating on the i3. Just drive one and I'm confident it'll put a smile on your face. My monthly gas bill alone was higher than my monthly payment on the i3. It's a no brainer. Not to mention that the performance is a kick in the pants. '14 i3 BEV.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #51
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Long debate but the m3, m5 x5 the new 7 etc are great cars but the competition allready makes similar models as good or better than that. Take the new 7. Close match to the s class but i am sure the new a8 will better it.
I am not sure where you are going with bringing up 7, or S, or A8.
All of those cares have been deprecated by Tesla Model S.

Quote:
Now the i3? There's nothing like.
Sure there is.
There are plenty of other choices in the BEV econo-box segment:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/comp...3_2014_choices

Quote:
Apart from beeing a bit expensive its a great machine. For me the first 21st century bmw. Put a smile on my face the only time I drove it, something my f25 x3 never did in 4 years ownership. The i8 its good but the poor interior plastics on a car worth 100K let it down...and its too big for its purpose - sports car - so apart from beeing the best look at me thing out there doesnt have much purpose.
i8 is the most advanced practical hybrid car BMW has on the market - you get the benefit of BEV driving when feeling green, max power from BEV and ICE engines when you want it. Super cool carbon shell to keep weight down, and sexy looks to attract attention among the best of the exotics.
Unfortunately, batteries are a bit on the small side, and getting in and out requires a warm up and agile back.

If you want pure performance and handling all the time (unconstrained by i8's battery size), see M3.

Which is why I brought those two cars for references.

a
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #52
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Long debate but the m3, m5 x5 the new 7 etc are great cars but the competition allready makes similar models as good or better than that. Take the new 7. Close match to the s class but i am sure the new a8 will better it.
I am not sure where you are going with bringing up 7, or S, or A8.
All of those cares have been deprecated by Tesla Model S.

Quote:
Sure there is.

Quote:
Apart from beeing a bit expensive its a great machine. For me the first 21st century bmw. Put a smile on my face the only time I drove it, something my f25 x3 never did in 4 years ownership. The i8 its good but the poor interior plastics on a car worth 100K let it down...and its too big for its purpose - sports car - so apart from beeing the best look at me thing out there doesnt have much purpose.
i8 is the most advanced practical hybrid car BMW has on the market - you get the benefit of BEV driving when feeling green, max power from BEV and ICE engines when you want it. Super cool carbon shell to keep weight down, and sexy looks to attract attention among the best of the exotics.
Unfortunately, batteries are a bit on the small side, and getting in and out requires a warm up and agile back.

If you want pure performance and handling all the time (unconstrained by i8's battery size), see M3.

Which is why I brought those two cars for references.

a
Oh yes..i forgot how the i3 and the smart looked, drove and had the same agenda as each other. Please
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #53
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea that guy lost all credibility after comparing it to a smart car! I've owned the smart, thought it was fun and quirky but it never put a smile on my face like the i3 and build quality ! Let's not go their !
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #54
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Sure there is.
Oh yes..i forgot how the i3 and the smart looked, drove and had the same agenda as each other. Please
Some of you guys are like 3-year-olds: you see a weird looking butterfly and follow it right off the cliff's edge.
The article references direct 2014 competitors (Volt, CT200H, and Leaf), and two extreme stretches (Smart and Model S). All you see and latch onto are the extremes, thus missing the forest for the trees...
*sigh*

Since 2014, there have been a bunch of newer entrants onto the EV market (500e, eGolf, B-class ED, etc). Many are starting to gain traction in the marketplace (even though 2015 EV sales are down compared to 2014):
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

There are more and more EVs in the market, which is great.
I never drove, or would care to look at Smart.

eGolf, on the other hand, is a very decent alternative.
I would have bought it over i3, if VW was half as aggressive at pushing it out the door as BMW is (literary, eGolf would have cost me 2x to lease than i3-REX!).

Competition improves the breed!

a
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #55
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Lol I like that saying !

The e golf and i3 are better compared to than the smart
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #56
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Sure there is.
Some of you guys are like 3-year-olds: you see a weird looking butterfly and follow it right off the cliff's edge.
The article references direct 2014 competitors (Volt, CT200H, and Leaf), and two extreme stretches (Smart and Model S). All you see and latch onto are the extremes, thus missing the forest for the trees...
*sigh*

Since 2014, there have been a bunch of newer entrants onto the EV market (500e, eGolf, B-class ED, etc). Many are starting to gain traction in the marketplace (even though 2015 EV sales are down compared to 2014):
http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

There are more and more EVs in the market, which is great.
I never drove, or would care to look at Smart.

eGolf, on the other hand, is a very decent alternative.
I would have bought it over i3, if VW was half as aggressive at pushing it out the door as BMW is (literary, eGolf would have cost me 2x to lease than i3-REX!).

Competition improves the breed!

a
The golf e is based on a model allready sold, the vw golf. The i3 is built from the ground up as its own model, CF core, radical design and interpretation of what a xx1st century city vehicle should be. Not only it excels at that but recently someone took it up a mountain too. Again, there is NOTHING like it out there. Golf e and i3. S*** whats next? The uss GW vs Voyager 1?? They both used plutonium so I guess we can compared too right??
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #57
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalsaSF
That's nice of BMW to do. In the Bay Area, I see i3's everywhere. According to one dealer here, the Bay Area is the largest i market bimmer has.
City commuter car, the best tax incentives, lots of charging stations, tech embracing community plus some green buyers/leasees. Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #58
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

Bloods and Crips say "fuck it" and disband. Mexican drug lords retire just based on proximity. Isis embraces Quakerism.

Imagine what the 2nd LAPD i3 will achieve.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #59
Gt5422md
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Did you read the words following that statement? They are there on purpose, to explain the statement. What seems like a vast majority (hopefully just on forums, not in real life) of BMW owners just want to sit around and talk about how great their car is and how terrible every other BMW is. It gets really old, its generation after generation too. e46 owners disliked e9x cars, e9x cars disliked f3x cars, same for 5er, M cars, everything. Oh face-lifts too, e9x pre-LCI hates e9x LCI, same with f3x, really, did you think that you were going to buy a car and that BMW would never improve upon the car you bought? People really need to get over themselves and just be happy in life. We're all driving great cars, we are all winners!

Thanks for the tip March of 2015 join date member, I guess I've been doing it wrong for over 9 years.

It is awful indeed, only on a BMW forum would people have such disdain and hatred towards a free car that creates no pollution to take the place of one vehicle that would have just the opposite traits. Like the way it looks or not, have some respect for it and the people that drive them, if anyone jumped on an M3 or M4 forum and used the remarks used here there would be 10 million responses, possibly death threats, etc towards whomever posted such comments. If you don't like something, just move on, no need to bash it just to stroke your own ego about what vehicle you drive. Again, we're all BMW owners, we're all winners!
It's a great car, BMW ICE owners should try a test drive next time they are at the dealer, better yet, do a trial for a few days. It's a fun car!
Sure, it's not perfect, looks weird, but I like it every bit as my F30.
Appreciate 0