01-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
This is what I've be saying for 18 months. People will be horribly burnt with the i3 resale. The way forward if you would still like a battery car is buy with a combined full gas engine up front as well. This way you have the best of both worlds and this is the BMW I purchased in the end. My gas saving is running at 50% in 7 months with a saving $540.00. The car will not drop in value as much as the i3 or i8. Doesn't BMW care about the people who are going to be burnt with their hard earned money as they will never return. Is this why i3 sales are down 45% and the i8 80% down on sales for the year.
It depends on if they plan to only own the car for a few years, if they plan to only own it for a few years then I'd say it's probably leased and why would they care ?

If they bought it like I did I bought mine to drive, probably will have over 200k miles on it or more when I look to sell so it be worthless anyhow like any car with 200k miles.

My X5 which was over 70 grand is only worth 10k for trade and it's only 5 years old so everything seems normal to me .

Now if your buying it used you are getting a smoking deal!!!!! Great car for under 20k
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #24
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
It depends on if they plan to only own the car for a few years, if they plan to only own it for a few years then I'd say it's probably leased and why would they care ?

If they bought it like I did I bought mine to drive, probably will have over 200k miles on it or more when I look to sell so it be worthless anyhow like any car with 200k miles.

My X5 which was over 70 grand is only worth 10k for trade and it's only 5 years old so everything seems normal to me .

Now if your buying it used you are getting a smoking deal!!!!! Great car for under 20k
OK I agree with who you say and it is a good way to look at car ownership.

If you throw your car away in 5 years then you need to save $833 per month to replace the same 50k car with a new i3. Would this $833 per month mean you could replace the i3 with new in 18 months or 2 years and keep up with the latest i3 technology.
      01-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OK I agree with who you say and it is a good way to look at car ownership.

If you throw your car away in 5 years then you need to save $833 per month to replace the same 50k car with a new i3. Would this $833 per month mean you could replace the i3 with new in 18 months or 2 years and keep up with the latest i3 technology.
That's why you would lease if you wanted to keep up with the tech. That's fine if that is important to you and always having a car payment.

The i3 in its current form fits my needs perfectly, and does what I need it to do. I got a fully loaded model and have yet to use any of the tech features it's capable of like the parking feature and such.

Sure their will be self park and all that jazz down the road but not worth it for me, just more wiz bang crap to sell you a car, like how everyone needs a new cell phone every year or two.

I work 6 miles from home, have everything I need within the limits of the car, when I need to travel my dealer gives me a loaner to borrow, hey that's great keeps miles off my car.

The base of what I'm getting at is I'm happy not having a car payment and with the i3 I'm hoping the old saying you either have a car payment or a maintenance payment won't apply.

When the car is payed off I'm hoping that in 20 plus years it's still purring along without a hitch.
My Mini Cooper is getting close to 20 years old looks like new and drives like a dream, with proper care a car should last for many many years. I bought the i3 for a sustainable car one that will last. Let's see if it's capable of that. Will be interesting.

For me it's more like 229 dollars a month for a 55k dollar car that I plan to drive for 20 years not 5.

but you forget I received 10k off msrp from dealer, bringing it from 55k to 45k then the 7500k and 4K from my government and local gov dropping the price further to $33,500 for a brand new car.

The best part is in my state we have customers choice so I technically own the car but make lease like payments for up to 3 years with 10k miles allowed, after the 3 years are up I either pay off the balloon payment or turn in the car.
With the resale so bad on the car I actually give the car back to the dealer freeing myself of the balloon payment and let them certify it extending the warranty and then buying it back at the new market price and we see how bad that is where 2 year old cars with 15k miles are selling for 15 to 20k, therefore with my 3 year old i3 with 30k miles and where the newer i3's have more Mileage it's going to end up saving me around another few grand off the cars total price.

So in essence a 55k dollar i3 in all only costed me around the price of a Mini Cooper and I bought it new.

So in reality the i3 is one of the cheapest cars I've ever bought

Not all states participate in customer choice programs but when a certain cars resale tanks it can save your ass vs just a straight up purchase. It's a beautiful thing when all the stars align like they did in this car.

And best part is the batteries are upgradable so in 20 years who knows maybe it will be time for an upgrade double my mileage and get to keep the car.

So realistically I'm only spending 80 bucks a month for the car with 20 Years of driving and with my 135is I was spending 250 dollars a month just on gas! Now that's perspective!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #26
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
That's why you would lease if you wanted to keep up with the tech. That's fine if that is important to you and always having a car payment.

The i3 in its current form fits my needs perfectly, and does what I need it to do. I got a fully loaded model and have yet to use any of the tech features it's capable of like the parking feature and such.

Sure their will be self park and all that jazz down the road but not worth it for me, just more wiz bang crap to sell you a car, like how everyone needs a new cell phone every year or two.

I work 6 miles from home, have everything I need within the limits of the car, when I need to travel my dealer gives me a loaner to borrow, hey that's great keeps miles off my car.

The base of what I'm getting at is I'm happy not having a car payment and with the i3 I'm hoping the old saying you either have a car payment or a maintenance payment won't apply.

When the car is payed off I'm hoping that in 20 plus years it's still purring along without a hitch.
My Mini Cooper is getting close to 20 years old looks like new and drives like a dream, with proper care a car should last for many many years. I bought the i3 for a sustainable car one that will last. Let's see if it's capable of that. Will be interesting.

For me it's more like 229 dollars a month for a 55k dollar car that I plan to drive for 20 years not 5.

but you forget I received 10k off msrp from dealer, bringing it from 55k to 45k then the 7500k and 4K from my government and local gov dropping the price further to $33,500 for a brand new car.

The best part is in my state we have customers choice so I technically own the car but make lease like payments for up to 3 years with 10k miles allowed, after the 3 years are up I either pay off the balloon payment or turn in the car.
With the resale so bad on the car I actually give the car back to the dealer freeing myself of the balloon payment and let them certify it extending the warranty and then buying it back at the new market price and we see how bad that is where 2 year old cars with 15k miles are selling for 15 to 20k, therefore with my 3 year old i3 with 30k miles and where the newer i3's have more Mileage it's going to end up saving me around another few grand off the cars total price.

So in essence a 55k dollar i3 in all only costed me around the price of a Mini Cooper and I bought it new.

Not all states participate in customer choice programs but when a certain cars resale tanks it can save your ass vs just a straight up purchase. It's a beautiful thing when all the stars align like they did in this car.

And best part is the batteries are upgradable so in 20 years who knows maybe it will be time for an upgrade double my mileage and get to keep the car.

So realistically I'm only spending 80 bucks a month for the car with 20 Years of driving and with my 135is I was spending 250 dollars a month just on gas! Now that's perspective!
$250 a month on petrol you would be covering some big miles. Great to see its working out for you. The difference in New Zealand we don't have subsidies on battery cars but we do have expensive petrol at $2.05 per litre or $8.20 a gallon.
      01-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

$250 a month on petrol you would be covering some big miles. Great to see its working out for you. The difference in New Zealand we don't have subsidies on battery cars but we do have expensive petrol at $2.05 per litre or $8.20 a gallon.
Jesus ! I know right I keep forgetting about European prices for fuel. Canada is also pretty high, seems like America is the place to buy anything heck it's even cheaper to buy a Porsche here then their country of manufacture, crazy. But hey if their giving it I'll take it.

with the i3 I get jaded with the gas prices here regardless even having to fill up the x5 makes me cry with our 3$ a gallon prices here in Chicago.

Anywho yea the 135 was all stop and go and when your gas pedal happy even 25 miles a day your paying a premium in gas. Was averaging at around 60 bucks a week in gas so 240 a month average.

But ABSOLUTLY loved that gas hog!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #28
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo
I just purchased a CPO 2014 i3 Rex.

I spent the last couple of months researching available cars located in So Cal, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. My search focused on low miles, Rex with Tech Package.

The asking price ranged from $23k to $29k.
also in the market for 14 rex w/tech. I have a couple ranging from 20,500 to 22,500, which Includes the 1000 retail rebate. both under 20k mi. they're also offering. 0.9% 72 month. that payment with zero down is less than the cost of my fuel bill. I'm seeing the same cars in private parties for about 18k. curious to see what deals others are seeing

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #29
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
also in the market for 14 rex w/tech. I have a couple ranging from 20,500 to 22,500, which Includes the 1000 retail rebate. both under 20k mi. they're also offering. 0.9% 72 month. that payment with zero down is less than the cost of my fuel bill. I'm seeing the same cars in private parties for about 18k. curious to see what deals others are seeing
I got the BMW $1k rebate and .9% for 72 months. I believe that offer is only for BMW CPO.

$20-$22,500 is a good range for a REX! Have you visited any dealerships yet?

Best of luck!
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm turning in my 2014 i3 REX after almost 24 months in about ~5 weeks, and a friend asked what it would cost to buy it from the dealership afterwards.

I asked, and here is the answer:

Residual: $29,641.50
Dealer offer: $21,000

I am certain they are not loosing money at that price point

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
I'm turning in my 2014 i3 REX after almost 24 months in about ~5 weeks, and a friend asked what it would cost to buy it from the dealership afterwards.

YMMV,
a
Yea I can't wait to see what my 3 year old 30k mile i3 will be worth when I trade it in.

Mmmmmm I can smell the savings !!! Lol.

It's the giving car, keeps on giving me money back. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #32
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:

YMMV,
a
My 2015 24/mo Residual is $34,867. Turns in Aug. I doubt my deal would be that good. Guessing 24k? But when it loses another 10k in 24 months (seemingly reasonable) Then that depreciation is 415/mo. I'd be better off leasing a new i3. I suppose that depends what I can get a lease for but right now I'm only play $349/mo with tax.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #33
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
My 2015 24/mo Residual is $34,867. Turns in Aug. I doubt my deal would be that good. Guessing 24k? But when it loses another 10k in 24 months (seemingly reasonable) Then that depreciation is 415/mo. I'd be better off leasing a new i3.
Very true.
With the amount of lease subsidies BMW NA is throwing behind i3's (artificially high residuals, credits, etc), it is not even financially close decision. Leasing, and re-leasing, are significantly more attractive.

Quote:
I suppose that depends what I can get a lease for but right now I'm only play $349/mo with tax.
I got my MY17 BEV down to $249/mo, after 7 MSDs.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #34
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Very true.
With the amount of lease subsidies BMW NA is throwing behind i3's (artificially high residuals, credits, etc), it is not even financially close decision. Leasing, and re-leasing, are significantly more attractive.

I got my MY17 BEV down to $249/mo, after 7 MSDs.

a
Yup, I'm going in to swap out my '14 for a '17 this weekend. I'm waiting for the i5 or next gen i3 with autonomous driving before I actually want to own one. That way I can have my fun car (M3) and a car I can get in and take a nap in
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      02-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #35
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I'm waiting for the i5 or next gen i3 with autonomous driving before I actually want to own one. That way I can have my fun car (M3) and a car I can get in and take a nap in
Yep, not a bad plan at all.

My hope for autonomous, and other cool features, currently rests solely with Tesla.

There is no indication that any of the automakers, including BMW, are anywhere close to productizing autonomous driving features until 2020+.

I have a deposit down on Model 3, but don't expect to be offered one until late 2018 at the earliest, or early 2019 (I am unlikely to be at the front of the 375K deposit queue, and I don't expect Tesla to build more than 250K cars/year in 2018).

Thus, a 24-month i3 lease, starting now, should cover the gap quiet nicely.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #36
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, not a bad plan at all.

My hope for autonomous, and other cool features, currently rests solely with Tesla.

There is no indication that any of the automakers, including BMW, are anywhere close to productizing autonomous driving features until 2020+.

I have a deposit down on Model 3, but don't expect to be offered one until late 2018 at the earliest, or early 2019 (I am unlikely to be at the front of the 375K deposit queue, and I don't expect Tesla to build more than 250K cars/year in 2018).

Thus, a 24-month i3 lease, starting now, should cover the gap quiet nicely.

a
I'm debating a 36 month lease this time to possibly ride out this current gen of i3's so to pickup the next gen as this lease ends. Cost wise its the same monthly and with the larger battery, might be a better long term solution then the current i3 (which I knew would get a battery upgrade mid cycle - just knowing BMW and how LCIs work).

I do think BMW has autonomous driving in the works, but unlike Tesla, zee Germans aren't in a rush to release beta products. Nothing against Tesla, but I think its just a different philosophy. I see BMW wanting to release a fully tested and vetted product as opposed to releasing beta products and sending out daily software updates to fix issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #37
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

I ended up with the 36 month lease as it was just cheaper than the 24 since I was able to get an extra $2500 back with the CA Clean Vehicle rebate program. Worth that factored in my payment landed on $260 a month on a MSRP of 55.5k so I'm happy to be able to upgrade to a 94AH i3 and save over $100 vs my 2014 Rex lease. Win win and thank you BMW!

If anyone wants to get in on these deals just PM me for my CA info
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #38
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've never really thought about this with a older leased car but what do you guy think about GAP insurance coverage? What would happen if we total our i3's and BMW says we owe like 35k on a car insurance company will pay like 20k?

I don't recall offhand but is GAP coverage part of BMWFS leases?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #39
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've never really thought about this with a older leased car but what do you guy think about GAP insurance coverage? What would happen if we total our i3's and BMW says we owe like 35k on a car insurance company will pay like 20k?

I don't recall offhand but is GAP coverage part of BMWFS leases?
BMWFS includes the gap insurance so there is no added fee for it. Its probably baked into the payment already
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #40
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
I just purchased a CPO 2014 i3 Rex.

I spent the last couple of months researching available cars located in So Cal, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. My search focused on low miles, Rex with Tech Package.

The asking price ranged from $23k to $29k.
Do you mind stating the sale price you got? I am wondering how much lower than asking...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #41
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahickey View Post
Yes I would say give it back at the end of the lease and then buy it back if you want a great deal.. the CPO is worth it enough especially when you get another 2 years 50,000 miles on top of what's left...
I ran some napkin math on this for my own car and it still didn't make sense to buy out.

MSRP $55,345
Residual End of Lease: $34,867
Likely Worth: $24,000 (44%)

So the car lost over 50% of value in 24 months. Its quite possible it will lose another 50% in two years. Take a look of what happen with Leaf values to confirm.

24k/2 = $12,000 depreciation / 24m = $500 a month
Hell say i3 only lose 10k in 2 years then thats $416 depreciation

Plus you have finance cost and taxes on top of that depreciation. A used i3 easily looks to be 450-475 a month in holding cost. My current lease is $350 a month with tax and I bought it new. So no, the numbers don't make sense as long as the govt. continues to fund rebates on buying new ones. When that stops I think the resell might recover a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #42
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

I have said this before! The i3 is a shopping trolly a very expensive shopping trolly and once the rush of buying the i3 was over by the ev fan boys the price will drop massively as it's not a BMW drivers car. I tried a couple of times to buy the i3 but is didn't drive well. My BMW 225xe was my second option at the time but leaves the i3 well in it's dust on all fronts other than maybe looks.
      03-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #43
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have said this before! The i3 is a shopping trolly a very expensive shopping trolly and once the rush of buying the i3 was over by the ev fan boys the price will drop massively as it's not a BMW drivers car. I tried a couple of times to buy the i3 but is didn't drive well. My BMW 225xe was my second option at the time but leaves the i3 well in it's dust on all fronts other than maybe looks.
Why do you still come to this website and even post anymore? You never say anything good other than to say how bad it is?

No wonder this site is dead for the i3 it's full of negative people.

So many better sites out their, at least this board is good for my other BMW's but for the i3 it's shit.

And sorry not an ev fanboy in the slightest !
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #44
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahickey View Post
Yes I would say give it back at the end of the lease and then buy it back if you want a great deal.. the CPO is worth it enough especially when you get another 2 years 50,000 miles on top of what's left...
I ran some napkin math on this for my own car and it still didn't make sense to buy out.

MSRP $55,345
Residual End of Lease: $34,867
Likely Worth: $24,000 (44%)

So the car lost over 50% of value in 24 months. Its quite possible it will lose another 50% in two years. Take a look of what happen with Leaf values to confirm.

24k/2 = $12,000 depreciation / 24m = $500 a month
Hell say i3 only lose 10k in 2 years then thats $416 depreciation

Plus you have finance cost and taxes on top of that depreciation. A used i3 easily looks to be 450-475 a month in holding cost. My current lease is $350 a month with tax and I bought it new. So no, the numbers don't make sense as long as the govt. continues to fund rebates on buying new ones. When that stops I think the resell might recover a bit.
Well after adding all the government and local government rebates and dealer discounts my "purchase" not lease costed me about 200 a month for 3 years.

Now when I turn it in this august (early turn in) the balloon payment will be 27k dollars. And when they resell it to me at 15k I will have saved again.

So in total with dealer discounts and government discounts and the discount from the customers choice option, I will have bought my 2014 i3 NEW! For around $22k dollars.

A fully loaded i3 for the price of a base Mini Cooper!

Not bad at all!
Appreciate 0