BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post The Ultimate evolution..... test drive of McLaren 720S

McLaren kindly brought a 720S to my home for me to have an extended test drive. I have previously driven the 570S and the 12C (various tracks, and road, including around my home).

Spoiler alert: I LOVED the 720S. I never felt even remotely the same way about the 458 Speciale, 488 or Huracan Performante upon driving each of those! The 720S is a seriously special car.

The aero channels and design are stunning. The double skin doors are very cool. Overall, its design features are utterly stunning in the metal. The much talked about, and often criticised [almost always by those who have never seen a 720S close up in the metal] eye sockets look great and full of detail in the metal, especially when specced in carbon fibre. Photographs and even video absolutely do not do the 720S justice.

This car really does not photograph well, especially in this dark off grey colour.

This car has a full carbon tub, including roof like the P1 and F1 (and i8), but unlike all other McLarens, which only have partial carbon tubs. Ferrari by comparison continue to plod on with bonded aluminium, and Lamborghini reserve their full carbon tub only for the Aventador. This of course makes it light, and very stiff. But it also allows the 720S to have amazing visibility, thin pillars, and glass C pillars. The seating position is perfect and very central, unlike its competitors.

The carbon ceramic brakes plus huge air brake, are utterly awesome and feel like dropping an anchor in the asphalt! It has incredible stopping power with perfect stability and control. I would say these are the best brakes in its class. The brake pedal requires firm pressure and reminded me of the feel in a non servo old model Elise or Exige. I liked that.

The 720S has a fighter jet look and feel inside it, due to its all around glass canopy, especially if specced with gorilla glass roof panels in the doors. It feels like it goes like a fighter jet too.

Acceleration is utterly incredible, and unlike a Tesla P100D in insane mode, the 720S just keeps pushing on and on. It is scary quick in fact, bordering on terrifyingly so such that you feel you are only just hanging on to it! There is so much power in any gear that you can realistically only use 100% throttle for 2-3 seconds at most on road. It is simply that fast and powerful, combined with its very light weight.

This is by far the fastest car I have ever driven. Not the most frightening though, as that honour remains with the F40.

The 720S has precision handling and steering. It is very easy to place, and is very precise. Scalpel like, rather than edgy and playful like a 458 or 488. Steering feels like a big S1 Exige, and is very direct and communicative. The 720S feels small to drive, yet huge, airy, bright and spacious on the inside - unlike all competitors, including all other modern McLarens.

The ride comfort is simply astonishing. In Comfort/Comfort, the 720S rides more comfortably than my i8 in Comfort mode! Yet it corners flat. But in Sport/Sport the 720S is firmer than my i8 in Sport mode. In Track/Track it is even firmer and more aggressive in its responses.

The 720S is quiet at low RPM, yet it starts making lots of "interesting sounds" at higher RPM and when lifting off. Turbo whistle, wastegate, some popping in the exhaust. The sound is somewhat subdued though and is definitely its weakest aspect. The Huracan Performante by comparison sounds absolutely glorious and better than anything else.

The 720S had too much power for its P Zero tyres on anything other than a pool table surface. It will break traction in 3rd on a straight, with stability systems compensating - albeit very well and unobtrusively. I felt it would be much better on the optional Corsa tyres, at least in summer on dry roads. (The 570S I drove was on Corsa tyres.)

The 4 speaker sound system is utterly rubbish. I did not hear the optional 12 speaker Bowers & Wilkins system.

The moving dash is truly useful, and switching to track mode is genuinely useful when pressing on. I had expected it to be just a gimmick.

Comfort, Sport, and Track settings adjust separately for handling and power-train and are user friendly, and make a noticeable difference. The 720S inspires confidence, even in Track/Track. I did try the variable drift control settings, but only when playing around with settings, not actually whilst driving it.

The 720S is so far ahead of the old 12C (or its updated 650 facelift model) that it feels like its from a different manufacturer. The 12C felt unsettled at the limit, especially under braking and did not inspire confidence close to the limit. It also did not feel "fun" on track, or road. The 720S encourages the driver, and seemed to adapt to how I was driving it at any point. Truly astonishing and feels like witchcraft when you experience it.

By the way, the 570S Spider feels rather like a super quick Elise to drive, in a good way, and of course better in every respect.

The Huracan Performante leads the pack for its amazing engine and ease of going very quickly with 4WD. However it has big negative points for visibility, its non-Lambo doors and (IMHO) its dated looks. It has some, but limited, carbon construction.

The 488 wins for the badge, great residuals and 7 year servicing thrown in. It has a huge negative for still using bonded aluminium construction. It is also the slowest by quite some margin. In fact I am completely confident the 720S will prove faster than the 488 Pista too.

The 720S is so far ahead of its competitors that there really is no valid comparison to make. In performance, it is comparable to hypercars like La Ferrari, P1 and 918 Spider. Amazingly it is not comparable in price though.

The last time I was so enthused about a car, and thought it was "virtually perfect" in its purpose and segment, was when I did my first two test drives of the i8.

It feels like a bargain at the price, although the starting price for 720S Performance has gone up from £218k to £225k just a few days ago! They are clearly selling well.

It's noticeably more expensive than a 488, or even a Huracan Performante. I am informed that on the road, with a modest spec it costs £250k. Or about £275k now for a more typical spec. It will be over £350k with all options (without duplication). And with MSO options, the sky's the limit! (MSO = McLaren Special Operations.) Carbon options are particularly expensive.

The 720S is a Hypercar for a little more than typical Supercar money. Hence my view that it really is a bargain in this sector.

To drive, it is the ultimate evolution of the non-hybrid hypercar, before future McLaren (and competitor) models all start to become hybrid. A true cold stone modern classic.

Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07474.00
      04-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

.... and yes, I am going to buy one

In the Azores (orange) colour in the very top video

A 720S Performance, with a high spec.

My i8 stays of course
Appreciate 2
Jo-Sta07474.00
      04-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

An interesting and yet candid review of the 720s and its contrast to other front runners you've driven. While I haven't test driven it, the comments and videos alone make for a rather intoxicating supercar. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Good lad!!! Brits done good huh? At least there road cars are better than Ferrari and Mercedes, F1s a dying sport anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys

Yes it is a rather incredible car, and so far ahead of its competitors. Just like the i8 was - and still is

As they said on Top Gear, McLaren only seem to be able to be top in one or the other: road or F1. Never both.

As I'm not buying an F1 car, I'm quite ok with that
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

I said it here last year. Best car I had ever driven. I was hoping to pick one up cheaper secondhand but prices are holding strong right now. I never felt anything like the acceleration. It is epic. The car is realistically making nearly 800 hp at the crank and weighs 1400 kg. Significantly lighter and more powerful than anything else in its class. Absolutely BRILLIANT CAR. I'd probably spec mine in something flashy like papaya spark.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
I said it here last year. Best car I had ever driven. I was hoping to pick one up cheaper secondhand but prices are holding strong right now. I never felt anything like the acceleration. It is epic. The car is realistically making nearly 800 hp at the crank and weighs 1400 kg. Significantly lighter and more powerful than anything else in its class. Absolutely BRILLIANT CAR. I'd probably spec mine in something flashy like papaya spark.
You were right I should have tried it months ago, but was focussed on getting a Ferrari at the time. How wrong I was!

I considered Papaya Spark, and looks pretty close to Azores, which I have gone for

Yes it is expensive, for a Supercar. But pretty cheap if you consider it alongside the hypercars, whose performance and looks it matches
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I'm truly happy for you my friend. I hope you get many many miles of enjoyment. How crazy did you go with the CF option packages? Also, I've been told McLaren is developing a titanium super sports exhaust for the car similar to the one they released for the 570S. Did they mention this to you? My only gripe was it didn't sound great. This new exhaust could fix that and give some minor power gains (like it needs it)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm truly happy for you my friend. I hope you get many many miles of enjoyment. How crazy did you go with the CF option packages? Also, I've been told McLaren is developing a titanium super sports exhaust for the car similar to the one they released for the 570S. Did they mention this to you? My only gripe was it didn't sound great. This new exhaust could fix that and give some minor power gains (like it needs it)
Thank you kindly

I probably went a big overboard on the options generally, and certainly on the carbon. Then my son had the configurator open....and decided to add a few more carbon bits

I agree about the engine sound, and that is the 720S' weak point. They didn't mention the titanium exhaust. I will ask about it, but it's probably too late as my spec is fixed now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Any dealer can switch out your exhaust. I wouldn't expect the exhaust for 6 months at least. Fabspeed here in the states makes a good one but McLaren isn't as lenient as they once were about honoring warranties if you make changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Understood now. I'd thought you meant it was available now.

I've heard the Fabspeed one on youtube, and it does sound much better with that + decatted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:59 AM   #12
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

JasH, beautiful car. I like it in both colors (or as you Brits like to say, "colours") you posted. The dark grey reminds me a bit of the BMW 8 series concept car's Barcelona Blue. Couple of comments, though:
* Was the first video taken with the camera pointed at a mirror? Less observant Bimmerposters (and perhaps some Bimmerimposters) may not have noticed that the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. You should know you can't put anything past us Yanks, unless you're a megalomaniacal, tyrannical, real estate buffoon, in which case you could become president
* Your review was quite thorough, though you did fail to mention one critical element of the interior: what about cup holders?

Depending on when you get it, perhaps you could drive it to the Munich PI event in July. When someone asks why it doesn't look like the other i8's, you could say you added a few local dealer options
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

There cup holders
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
* Your review was quite thorough, though you did fail to mention one critical element of the interior: what about cup holders?

:
LOL

Yes it has 3 cupholders, although I personally don't want any! I removed the cupholder in my i8 (800g if I recollect).

I've specced my 720S with weight reduction in mind e.g. no electric seat adjustment (12kg saved); super lightweight wheels (12.5kg saved) etc etc.

I wasn't as thorough as I thought when I wrote that review. As well as cupholders, I omitted to mention the gearbox, which is divine. Very slick, rapid, perfect gear shifts. As good as any I've driven.
Appreciate 1
jojo12.00
      04-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #15
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I hope you got the manually adjusted steering column too!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I hope you got the manually adjusted steering column too!
Absolutely
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #17
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
LOL

Yes it has 3 cupholders, although I personally don't want any! I removed the cupholder in my i8 (800g if I recollect).

I've specced my 720S with weight reduction in mind e.g. no electric seat adjustment (12kg saved); super lightweight wheels (12.5kg saved) etc etc.

I wasn't as thorough as I thought when I wrote that review. As well as cupholders, I omitted to mention the gearbox, which is divine. Very slick, rapid, perfect gear shifts. As good as any I've driven.
Wow, 800 grams savings for the cupholders. I'm taking them out of my i8 as soon as it arrives. I also don't need the iPhone docking insert, so that should shave off at least another 50 grams. I'm thinking 0-60 times should shrink to low 3's with these weight savings . Bring on that McLaren .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Wow, 800 grams savings for the cupholders. I'm taking them out of my i8 as soon as it arrives.
I actually did remove it Day 1

More because I never eat or drink in my i8. But I noticed how surprisingly heavy it was, so I weighed it.

As an ex-Lotus guy, weight is everything though. BMW could have done a lot more with the i8 in this respect, especially the easy stuff like the excessively heavy 12v battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

As I said, it can be a handful

Best to treat it with respect...and warm up the tyres.

800bhp at the crank does this in the hands of a novice:

Dry road too. And no, he wasn't even using launch control (video description is inaccurate).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Jas, saw the vid of your 720. Looks FANTASTIC! Congrats my friend. Please post driving impressions of the car here if you will. A good friend of mine recently took delivery of a 720s and just ran 174.9 mph in a half mile event before the car even hit 1k miles. He also did 2.6/7.2/18.9 seconds to 100/200/300 kph on the same run verified by his vbox. It blows my mind how fast the car is around corners and in a straight line! It's a hypercar for $350k and prices are starting to fall.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      07-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Yeah the 720s is a beast and I kind of feel bad for everyone that put deposits on the 2020 Tesla Roadster since the 720s already has the same performance levels basically and future McLarens will only get better
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      07-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #22
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Think about the LT version? God I wouldn't be surprised if it ran neck and neck with a Chiron to 150 mph while being 1400 pounds lighter and far more responsive/nimble.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00