BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #23
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Now the reviews have one more thing to include in them
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/l...o-hd-hands-on/

Update: Thanks to the genius of Francois Simond (Supercurio), we have confirmed that Carrier IQ is installed and running on the LG Nitro HD for AT&T.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #24
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

https://market.android.com/details?i...rieriqdetector

CarrierIQ detector. Free from the Android market.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #25
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post

Best to just fork out the dough and buy your own unlocked phone. I never buy my phones from Carriers (Especially US carriers!). I believe that the phones that have stuff similar to this application installed are all Carrier related phones as the government most likely is behind this and pushes the carriers for info like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #26
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Great article and video..

http://blog.gsmarena.com/iphone-blac...assange-video/
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post

According to that app my T-mobile GS2 has C IQ installed.

12-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Best to just fork out the dough and buy your own unlocked phone. I never buy my phones from Carriers (Especially US carriers!). I believe that the phones that have stuff similar to this application installed are all Carrier related phones as the government most likely is behind this and pushes the carriers for info like this.
This is what I have always done.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #29
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
According to that app my T-mobile GS2 has C IQ installed.

According to that app, my AT&T GS2 doesn't have it...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
According to that app, my AT&T GS2 doesn't have it...

I would look a bit further and deeper. If it is an AT&T phone made by Samsung it would most likely be in there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The concept of privacy has long been dead, this just proves it.
      12-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

I wonder what kind of this will have on Android Sales.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #33
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
If you have a Verizon phone, you are safe from CIQ.

I have Galaxy tab powered by verizon and I just located

"keytracer" 0.00bytes under applications/all it has access to everything ...thoughts?

Also, people if you think your phone is safe, then you are in the 1960s lol... if you are doing something bad then you will be found if you are a good person and not trying to start WW3 or disrupt national security or engage in terrorism then you will be fine. If you feel so unsafe, take out that second battery in your phone and cut it off.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #34
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

FTC asked to open an investigation into Carrier IQ

Quote:
It was only a matter of time, we suppose, before this whole Carrier IQ thing started drawing the attention of lawmakers. The saga has quickly spiraled out of control, with carriers being forced to declare which side they're on and Senator Stuart Smalley Al Franken demanding the company provide details about what data it collects and how it's used. Well, Massachusetts congressman Edward Markey has even less patience than his esteemed colleague and has already asked the FTC to open an investigation into Carrier IQ. Markey wants the Federal Trade Commission to look into whether or not the rootkit and its creators have violated the privacy of millions of cellphone users and federal wiretap laws -- an accusation the company vehemently denies. We hope you're not tired of this epic tale yet, 'cause we're just getting started.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/02/f...to-carrier-iq/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #35
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
I have Galaxy tab powered by verizon and I just located

"keytracer" 0.00bytes under applications/all it has access to everything ...thoughts?

Also, people if you think your phone is safe, then you are in the 1960s lol... if you are doing something bad then you will be found if you are a good person and not trying to start WW3 or disrupt national security or engage in terrorism then you will be fine. If you feel so unsafe, take out that second battery in your phone and cut it off.
The thing is, this isn't the Government.....This is a third party entity. Also, download the free app that tells you weather you have it or not. I linked it above.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #36
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Link doesnt really... do...much. Tried though.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Carrier IQ VP says software poses no threat to user privacy, backs up his argument wi

Quote:
The final chapter of the Carrier IQ saga has yet to be written, but at this juncture, even the rosiest of rose-tinted observers would be hard pressed to find a silver lining. The specter of federal investigation looms larger by the day. Implicated carriers and manufacturers are washing their hands with Macbethian fury. Al Franken is on the verge of going Al Franken. And at the epicenter of all this sits Carrier IQ -- a California-based analytics company that has already gone to great lengths to defend its innocence. First, it sought to discredit Trevor Eckhart's ostensibly damning research with a cease-and-desist letter. Then, CEO Larry Lenhart flatly denied Eckhart's findings with an impassioned YouTube address. In recent days, the company has markedly softened its stance, arguing that its apps are only designed to meet operator demands and to "make your phones better." Now, Carrier IQ has elaborated upon these arguments with a more detailed breakdown of how its software functions, and a more substantive defense of its practices. Head past the break to read more.

During a recent interview with the Register, Carrier IQ VP of marketing Andrew Coward acknowledged that his company's mobile software logs keystrokes, intercepts text messages and gathers geographic data, but insisted that the overwhelming majority of this information is discarded almost as soon as it comes in, thereby posing virtually no threat to user privacy. To illustrate his point, Coward likened Carrier IQ's software to a giant fishing net:
"We're on a fishing boat out at sea and we're catching fish that are too small and they go back in. And they go back in for two reasons: One, the holes in the net don't catch small fish, i.e. the filtering, and/or the fish is the wrong type and it gets thrown out of the boat, hopefully while it's still alive."
According to Coward, Carrier IQ only retains text messages or keystroke patterns that carry proprietary tags. These tags identify all transmissions that could be used to populate analytic data, including some that may be considered sensitive. If a user drops a call, for instance, the system will note his or her location, and the numbers of each party. In other cases, the company may receive a special SMS (or "control message," as Coward describes it), which provides Carrier IQ with important diagnostic information (e.g., data on failed SMS transmissions). The company collects data on the number of successfully delivered texts and the phone numbers of users who send these texts, but the contents of an SMS, Coward insists, are "never stored and never transmitted."

Key taps, meanwhile, are monitored because certain sequences can trigger responses from the software. If a user is on the line with technical support, for example, he or she may be prompted to type in a code in order to upload diagnostic data to Carrier IQ's system. As with text messages, though, only earmarked keystroke sequences are copied. All the others -- including the keystroke patterns displayed in Eckhart's demo video -- are filtered out. According to the Register, Coward's claims have been corroborated by Android security researcher Dan Rosenberg, who reverse engineered Carrier IQ's software.

Detailed as Coward's arguments may be, the thrust of his defense rests upon Carrier IQ's earlier assertions that service providers retain ultimate control over consumer information. "The data that's being gathered is commissioned by the operators to be gathered," Coward explained. "It's under their control, albeit sometimes in our data center, sometimes in their data center. We have no rights to that data."
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/03/c...r-privacy-bac/
Appreciate 0