BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

12-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #2597
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Idiocy is timeless..
And the sooner these here #whippersnappers get off my lawn, the sooner we can all just get along

Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #2598
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I've been hearing that joke from my dad since the early 70's
Same here. I've filed that under "Urban Legends."
      12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #2599
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I'm way OT here, but tire manufacturers have corrupted the "All Season" category name to the point where it's nearly meaningless. The category came about in the early radial tire era, when folks wanted something midway between a highway tire and a "snow tire" that had big lugs, was noisy as hell, and sucked everywhere except in snow. The early ones were fairly aggressive and pretty effective in snow and sand/light rocks. Nowadays, I think the design priorities are fuel economy and quiet, which are closely connected, and soft-surface performance has been sacrificed as a result. They meet the void ratio requirements for an all-season rating, but they're not effective on anything but a hard surface.
It's a marketing lie at this point. People need to recognize the limitations of all-seasons for what they are: dry and wet tires. "All" does not mean "all" and fuel economy really has hurt the OE A/S. Pair them with some chains or cables and you have a versatile setup that doesn't excel at one thing, but is passable in many. It's a compromise for sure and a lack of understanding is disastrous.

On that subject, autopilot suffers in the same way. People think it's going to drive for you, and to an extent it will, but it will never be better than an attentive driver with good situational awareness and the right knowledge.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #2600
Salty Dog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 911

Tesla driver distracted by dog in car blames Autopilot after smashing into police

https://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/n...ng-into-police

A Tesla Model 3 driver was checking on his dog in the back seat when his car, on Autopilot mode, smashed into two parked cars, according to a police report out of Connecticut.

The incident happened on the state’s I-95 highway early morning Saturday, December 7.

According to a post by the Connecticut State Police department, one of the vehicles the Tesla struck was a police car pulled over to the side of the road, assisting a separate vehicle accident.

Both of the patrol cars assisting with the other accident had their lights flashing, and a flare was set up, so it should have been pretty easy for somebody to see them. Unless, of course, you’re relying on your car to drive itself while you’re turned around checking on your dog in the back seat, which is exactly what happened.

The driver of the Model 3 was issued a misdemeanor summons for Reckless Driving and Reckless Endangerment, but luckily nobody – nor any animal – was seriously injured in the accident.

The CSP issued a warning to remind motorists that “although a number of vehicles have some automated capabilities, there are no vehicles currently on sale that are fully automated or self-driving.”

Tesla has not commented on the incident, and the investigation has not revealed whether or not the Model 3’s brakes were applied prior to the collision, by either the driver or Autopilot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #2601
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Winter tires are mandatory in Finland, as are annual inspections for the whole vehicle. Purely by coincidence, it's where Nokian tires is headquartered. No connection at all.
Good point but we have way more that 1000 people, unlike Finland. J/K. Seriously, you guys are lucky. And loyal to Nokian. what if I told you that the biggest killer on our roads is the proliferation of fake Chinese winter tyres? No one homologates them in Canada, it is left to the manufacturer. Nokian, Michelin, Conti Yoko, Toyo are proven, race tested well developed brands. Chinese makers, however, do some treat pattern and the rubbers are useless even between -50 up to 6C, skidding or sliding! THAT BAD! In turn, many in some provinces where permitted mount studs- which rip roads apart, our highways. So 150$ CAD Chinese tires, with a flake, uncertified, and studs to compensate.

I presently drive hakka r2, no studs, they are amazing. Perhaps Alpin PA$ is better for my car. But even on black ice, all conditions, they are superb as los as -40C... You are so lucky that, via national or EU regulations, you life is not endangered by fellow Finns that would buy cheap Chinese tires. Here, they not dominate, 80% of sold winter tires are chinese, 200$ per set. failing every independent test, vs 800-1000$ Hakka set.

Our accidents have gone up through the roof in winter. Thanks to ABS and frame tech, less deaths but more vehicle losses. Insurance UP UP UP..

There is a brewing movement to force regulators force actual certification. We will see..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #2602
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post

A Tesla Model 3 driver was checking on his dog in the back seat when his car, on Autopilot mode, smashed into two parked cars, according to a police report out of Connecticut.
April 2019 the study on the AP being fooled by colours, stickers or lights, nice article entitles "You can fool tesla's autopilot"... by Stef Schrader, tesla answered that the testing is not cogent as it altered the environment around the vehicle to trigger errors. Imagine the FAA found a scenario in which planes crash, and Boeing answers "That is not real world, the regulators altered the environment around the plane." That is the point of simulating all sorts of unique situations, to determine risk and probability for the unlikely scenarios... Or, billboards, recent crash sties cruiser lights, new concrete lane reductions, all have proven to fool the AP occasionally, but proactive drivers compensated, some cases, last second. I can recall three concrete reducers that cause multiple collisions in Quebec. Even daylight, the concrete color, e.g. Hwy 15 laval, blends nearly perfectly wintertime with the asphalt, and, over 300 m, just yanks a lane. Almost hit it myself at dusk actively looking. A motorcyclist narrowly died another time, doing 140 and suddenly having no lane and cars on his right (my hitting the brakes gave him enough gap to get back). Can AP be fooled? It is empirically proven yes. BUT, according to tesla, this is not real world conditions. They are stupidly anti-scientific and anti-methodology as it gets.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog610.50

12-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #2603
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Good point but we have way more that 1000 people, unlike Finland. J/K. Seriously, you guys are lucky. And loyal to Nokian. what if I told you that the biggest killer on our roads is the proliferation of fake Chinese winter tyres? No one homologates them in Canada, it is left to the manufacturer. Nokian, Michelin, Conti Yoko, Toyo are proven, race tested well developed brands. Chinese makers, however, do some treat pattern and the rubbers are useless even between -50 up to 6C, skidding or sliding! THAT BAD! In turn, many in some provinces where permitted mount studs- which rip roads apart, our highways. So 150$ CAD Chinese tires, with a flake, uncertified, and studs to compensate.

I presently drive hakka r2, no studs, they are amazing. Perhaps Alpin PA$ is better for my car. But even on black ice, all conditions, they are superb as los as -40C... You are so lucky that, via national or EU regulations, you life is not endangered by fellow Finns that would buy cheap Chinese tires. Here, they not dominate, 80% of sold winter tires are chinese, 200$ per set. failing every independent test, vs 800-1000$ Hakka set.

Our accidents have gone up through the roof in winter. Thanks to ABS and frame tech, less deaths but more vehicle losses. Insurance UP UP UP..

There is a brewing movement to force regulators force actual certification. We will see..
I don't live in Finland, BTW. I used to visit there often on business, and got a chance to see Nokian's test facility in Lapland.
      12-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #2604
pennsiveguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The incident happened on the state’s I-95 highway early morning Saturday, December 7.

According to a post by the Connecticut State Police department, one of the vehicles the Tesla struck was a police car pulled over to the side of the road, assisting a separate vehicle accident.

Both of the patrol cars assisting with the other accident had their lights flashing, and a flare was set up, so it should have been pretty easy for somebody to see them. Unless, of course, you’re relying on your car to drive itself while you’re turned around checking on your dog in the back seat, which is exactly what happened.

The driver of the Model 3 was issued a misdemeanor summons for Reckless Driving and Reckless Endangerment, but luckily nobody – nor any animal – was seriously injured in the accident.

The CSP issued a warning to remind motorists that “although a number of vehicles have some automated capabilities, there are no vehicles currently on sale that are fully automated or self-driving.”

Tesla has not commented on the incident, and the investigation has not revealed whether or not the Model 3’s brakes were applied prior to the collision, by either the driver or Autopilot.
In a bygone era without airbags, the pilot would have got a pitch-black bilateral shiner and a bent nose and some teeth that didn't match. Every time he shaved or brushed his teeth, his fucked-up face would have reminded him to fucking pay attention when you drive.

12-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #2605
CTinline-six
Winning
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

As much as I think Tesla's auto-pilot is a false advertising dangerous nightmare, that is CT. I've driven down I-95 and have seen people eating yogurt with both hands while balancing an ipad on the steering wheel doing 85 mph.

12-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #2606
530iDriver
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:

The incident happened on the state's I-95 highway early morning Saturday, December 7.

Both of the patrol cars assisting with the other accident had their lights flashing, and a flare was set up, so it should have been pretty easy for somebody to see them. Unless, of course, you're relying on your car to drive itself while you're turned around checking on your dog in the back seat, which is exactly what happened.

The CSP issued a warning to remind motorists that "although a number of vehicles have some automated capabilities, there are no vehicles currently on sale that are fully automated or self-driving."

Tesla has not commented on the incident, and the investigation has not revealed whether or not the Model 3's brakes were applied prior to the collision, by either the driver or Autopilot.
Idiocy has no social economic bounds..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog610.50

12-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #2607
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
To me this is no different than car manufacturers commercials about AWD equipped vehicles etc. Subaru being the worst offender here. The amount times I've heard someone say "I'm fine, I have AWD."
its a little different saying "the car will drive for you and you dont have to really pay attention" vs "its got awd so it has great traction in all weather"

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #2608
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 19 M550 19 ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
its a little different saying "the car will drive for you and you dont have to really pay attention" vs "its got awd so it has great traction in all weather"
Where are they saying you don’t have to pay attention? What do you think is a bigger problem? People thinking they are invincible driving AWD/4X4s or people not paying attention while in their self driving Tesla’s?

Dangerous false advertising is just that, dangerous false advertising.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #2609
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Yep, holiday charging isn't very fun, looks like the east coast didn't have it as bad since a lot more model 3's reside out west.
More likely reason is in the east cost drives tend to be shorter (you can cross 3 states with one charge on a model S).
In CA, to drive from SF to LA, you most likely have to recharge it at least once in between.
Appreciate 0