BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-20-2024, 02:39 PM   #1
ok31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Chargepoint home charger issue

I’ve looked and found some stuff that wasn’t definitive so forgive me if it’s on here recently. I’ve had my ‘24 iX50 since August and have been happily using a charge point home flex on a 60a breaker at the max 48a charge. Have gone on trips and charged both level 2 and CCS without issue. Then, suddenly, a month ago the charge point wouldn’t charge anymore. Took me a while to realize since it’s not a daily driver. Plug in and it would connect and show as charging but in a moment would click and stop. Car would show 0 watt power. Tried the included bmw trickle and that works at 1kw which is miserable. I tried a level 2 at a mall nearby and that charged at 7kw so obviously something works. I ended up having the chargepoint RMA and just installed a brand new one with same issue. Tried modifying car amp max and charger output max to no avail.

Anything I saw suggests something messy with the CCU. Has anyone had this issue and has some guidance?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:57 PM   #2
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post
I’ve looked and found some stuff that wasn’t definitive so forgive me if it’s on here recently. I’ve had my ‘24 iX50 since August and have been happily using a charge point home flex on a 60a breaker at the max 48a charge. Have gone on trips and charged both level 2 and CCS without issue. Then, suddenly, a month ago the charge point wouldn’t charge anymore. Took me a while to realize since it’s not a daily driver. Plug in and it would connect and show as charging but in a moment would click and stop. Car would show 0 watt power. Tried the included bmw trickle and that works at 1kw which is miserable. I tried a level 2 at a mall nearby and that charged at 7kw so obviously something works. I ended up having the chargepoint RMA and just installed a brand new one with same issue. Tried modifying car amp max and charger output max to no avail.

Anything I saw suggests something messy with the CCU. Has anyone had this issue and has some guidance?
Have you tried rebooting your IX? I don’t have a ChargePoint charger but they have a good reputation.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:13 PM   #3
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
Have you tried rebooting your IX? I don’t have a ChargePoint charger but they have a good reputation.
Do you mean the onboard system holding the volume roller till drive restarts? Yes I’ve done that a number of times
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Have both a hardwired and plug-in ChargePoint Home Flex, operating for about 2 years with no issues. But "installed a brand new one with same issue" sounds like the car or your installation. You didn't mention if hardwired or plug, but based on your info I'm guessing hardwired (48a). In any case, have a qualified electrician inspect your installation ASAP - there's an internal circuit breaker in the unit that will kick off if something is tripping it in your circuit. This is potentially a fire hazard. If that checks out, dealer diagnostics on fault codes in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:27 PM   #5
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Plug in and it would connect and show as charging but in a moment would click and stop. Car would show 0 watt power.
It sounds as if you have the ChargePoint (or car?) set to begin charging at a specific time slot.
Paladin15556.00
      03-20-2024, 04:21 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That would be guess #2 but since no mention of any change in app or schedule.... Very possible though since seen before here - I guess I'm confused by the more-than-one-posts about "my charger/EVSE stopped (because I didn't know I had set a schedule)." Good catch!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:24 PM   #7
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

ChargePoint were remotely disabling higher amp ratings, (>32A iirc) in order to decrease the chance of a poorly installed wire from the breaker box not being up to the job or a contractor grade socket being used instead of a Hubbell outlet, and hence getting too hot causing a fire hazard. Some owners were having to call the Chargepoint hotline and have a support person manually allow the EVSE to operate at higher amperage once they had determined that the install was ‘safe’.

This doesn’t sound as if this is what you are experiencing however, and as above you need to make sure you don’t have some sort of bizarre schedule set up either in your car, or your at home Chargepoint. Extremely unlikely that you received a second defect EVSE.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 04:46 PM   #8
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

I’ve got a local program that I’m signed up for and the bmw charge forward but both have been bypassed. Something in the electrical line not impossible but it was all done to code by a licensed electrician and permits etc… so not to say it’s not possible that something is wrong but.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:09 PM   #9
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I’ve had something similar happen with my ChargePoint Home Flex, my fix was to turn off the circuit breaker, then turn it back on, wait a minute or two and then plug the car in and it started working fine again. Not sure if you’ve tried that, but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:09 PM   #10
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I’ve had something similar happen with my ChargePoint Home Flex, my fix was to turn off the circuit breaker, then turn it back on, wait a minute or two and then plug the car in and it started working fine again. Not sure if you’ve tried that, but worth a shot.
Yeah I’ve tried a number of times. My next plan is to have someone charge on the home flex and go to someone with a level 2 and charge there. If all else fails going to dealer but need to understand where the problem is. If I can charge elsewhere then it’s likely my house. If someone can charge here the. Like
Y the car. Both can’t work otherwise I’ve got issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:45 AM   #11
Savsearcher
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp xdrive, '24 iX M60

Ensure all wires are connected inside the ChargePoint, under the front panel. This sounds similar to the issue I had but it was immediately after an electrician installed it and didn’t connect one of the pins.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:19 AM   #12
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
ChargePoint were remotely disabling higher amp ratings, (>32A iirc) in order to decrease the chance of a poorly installed wire from the breaker box not being up to the job or a contractor grade socket being used instead of a Hubbell outlet, and hence getting too hot causing a fire hazard.
A little off topic here but although I understand that maybe this came from a safety concern, this remote disabling/updating of our equipment is not something that anyone should be ok with. They can email me all they want, have their app warn me until I prove to them it is correctly installed if they insist, but they shouldn't change my settings on my charger nor should they even have the kind of access to my charger required for this to be possible.
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 12:36 PM   #13
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savsearcher View Post
Ensure all wires are connected inside the ChargePoint, under the front panel. This sounds similar to the issue I had but it was immediately after an electrician installed it and didn’t connect one of the pins.
Yeah it was working fine until it stopped with everything looking fine. A replacement unit acting same way so next step have someone charge at my house and try charging at someone’s house on proper amp level 2 ie 16a+
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:38 PM   #14
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
A little off topic here but although I understand that maybe this came from a safety concern, this remote disabling/updating of our equipment is not something that anyone should be ok with. They can email me all they want, have their app warn me until I prove to them it is correctly installed if they insist, but they shouldn't change my settings on my charger nor should they even have the kind of access to my charger required for this to be possible.
Yeah that’s a whole other story their support is really piss poor. They read off a script of things I’ve already done and then “escalate” to someone who doesn’t seem to have any more knowledge and just submits replacements. Regardless my car their charger or both, I’m not thrilled with their support model and turnaround time. No one has a clue.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:07 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On the flip side, if ChargePoint can determine remotely if something is going on with an EVSE that is potentially unsafe (support quality completely aside - that's more the norm these days), that's totally a good thing. Worth repeating:

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:40 PM   #16
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
On the flip side, if ChargePoint can determine remotely if something is going on with an EVSE that is potentially unsafe (support quality completely aside - that's more the norm these days), that's totally a good thing. Worth repeating:

It’s a fine line and a slippery slope but that aside, there should be some way for them to tell me what their unit is showing and it’s not. If it was sending an over or under load and reporting it at least that’s something to tell the electrician. All I’m seeing and they confirm is that the car is taking 0kw
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #17
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I understand the importance of a proper installation and the risk of such high amperage. But even with that,... Nope. Not ok. The device should be able to detect any faults itself and protect itself without the need for remote commands being issued to it by anyone but the owner. There is a difference between the device detuning itself if it detects a fault and the company deciding to detune it for you when there is no fault... Just in case..... Cause they felt like it or want to limit their risk of a lawsuit.... It isn't their device.

Years ago i had a Cisco/Linksys router that I had configured and specifically set the option for auto updates to OFF. I manually updated it when I saw fit and was diligent back then to read up on vulnerabilities and such so that I didn't run an unsecure router. I never allow any remote access to my router as I have zero need for that. One day I needed to tweak some setting when I was home and was surprised to see that the thing updated itself nonetheless and was now requiring me to create an online account on their cloud service in order to configure my own device. I unplugged the internet connection from it and was "allowed" to do the configuration locally instead and the next thing I did was order a replacement router from a different company, added them to my blacklist and threw that one in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:48 PM   #18
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
ChargePoint were remotely disabling higher amp ratings, (>32A iirc) in order to decrease the chance of a poorly installed wire from the breaker box not being up to the job or a contractor grade socket being used instead of a Hubbell outlet, and hence getting too hot causing a fire hazard.
Has anyone validated the facts around this? Could ChargePoint remotely detect and control the household chargers? And, did they acknowledge it and give any kind of explanation or mea culpa?

I could see a scenario where a unit itself detects heat and backs itself down. But a secret override from galactic HQ seem like a bad move on many levels.
      03-21-2024, 06:07 PM   #19
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know they can remotely read the unit and detect faults - that's my point. That's a good thing. Notifying the user is also a good thing. In fact, if they detect a fault #2 is mandatory IMO. I'm very much in favor of any technology that keeps my car from catching on fire and my house from burning down. And no one needs my permission or lengthy deliberation to do that. Any other action could be debated, but absent an emergency, see #1 and 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #20
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
Has anyone validated the facts around this? Could ChargePoint remotely detect and control the household chargers? And, did they acknowledge it and give any kind of explanation or mea culpa?

I could see a scenario where a unit itself detects heat and backs itself down. But a secret override from galactic HQ seem like a bad move on many levels.
It was either on the Taycan or Audi forum that I’m on where I remember reading this. Specifically the poster noted the amperage had been down rated by Chargepoint, and after calling their tech support was told that CP had been doing this for ‘safety’ reasons. He proved that his install was well within code and with the appropriate size wire for his rating, and the unit was then allowed to perform as he had originally set it to do.

I’m only reporting what I had read on another forum.
Appreciate 2
ggalanis2448.00
exxxviii1308.00
      03-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #21
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that’s a whole other story their support is really piss poor. They read off a script of things I’ve already done and then “escalate” to someone who doesn’t seem to have any more knowledge and just submits replacements. Regardless my car their charger or both, I’m not thrilled with their support model and turnaround time. No one has a clue.
If you can charge at another L2 charger, and certainly if someone can charge at your ChargePoint without an issue, then there has to be something ’off’ within your car charging settings.

Have you not only ‘Rebooted’ the CP, but ‘Reset’ it and set it up as a new unit?

Have you disabled all timers on the CP and activated Charge Immediately on the BMW app?

Good luck getting this sorted; I know it’s frustrating AF when something like this occurs.

The WiFi card in my first CP failed about 6 months after install, and I found ChargePoint’s tech response to be pretty damn good. I did have to send them pix of the breaker box and the way it had been installed by my electrician including the internal wires within the CP, but then they sent me a brand new unit that has now worked flawlessly for about 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:23 PM   #22
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

OP, I found this on Reddit:

"When Chargepoint removed this setting a couple of weeks ago, my current charging limit was fixed by the Chargepoint gods at 0A. It's so fun having a completely useless charging station at home. ��

My station is 7 years old, but I never had an issue until this update. It sounds like the only way to get my station to work is to remove it from my app then add it back? I did call Chargepoint, but the phone agent did not resolve my issue."
Appreciate 0