BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-26-2024, 11:19 AM   #1
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

New iX Orientation Checklist

I feel fortunate to pick up my new BRM iX 50 in 2 days.
I am booking a couple of hours with the dealership genius (he seems pretty good, tho genius may be pushing it) and I would like to develop a checklist of items to learn or inspect.
This is my first owned BEV, and my my first dealership new Bimmer (other than a couple dozen BMW bikes over 40 years). We have a much loved '22 X3.
Any items for the list would be welcome, and I'll clean it up & post it in a new thread when the list has matured.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:00 PM   #2
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Ensure they have your myBMW app setup and linked to the car including the EA free charging offer. Ensure they have your myBMW ID linked to the car and ideally to a specific key fob and your phone via digital key plus. Have them do the same for other drivers that might be driving regularly so everyone's' settings are properly saved and linked. Spend some time viewing the many videos BMW has posted on You Tube about various functions as well. That was a big help to me.
Appreciate 1
JSTARR142.00
      03-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #3
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
I did not have the benefit of a Genius tour, so I spent hours inside my car both customizing and learning it. I think it took me a couple weeks to get everything dialed in. Here are a few of my tidbits and learnings...
  • I turned Auto Hold off. I thought it was necessary, but the car is much easier to maneuver at low speeds with AH off. Fastly superior experience.
  • Radio & SiriusXM presets are combined in one "Presets" app. I love it. After you get all your presets selected, you can go into the app to reorder them.
  • The lumbar adjustment is not intuitive. It is in the seat menu on the screen that you can also bring up with the 3rd selection on the memory seat button. My lumbar was maxed out and super uncomfortable until I figured it out.
  • The Augmented Reality view in navigation only works on the instrument cluster when you have selected one of the three nav-controlled content options.
  • You may need to select manual time setting if yours is one of the cars that incorrectly selects the wrong time zone.
  • I still have not decided how I want to use my 2 customizable hand gestures.
  • As time allowed, I went through every car option and read every setting, and I did change a lot of them from default.
LVBMW1328.00
      03-26-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Car stuff first: be sure the doors work, the seats work, the windows work, turn signals work and the wipers work (wiper fluid?). Check the camera washers front and back (do this outside). Check the rear parcel shelves and make sure they're seated. Check the pano roof operation. Check your Monroney and make sure that's what's on your car. Check that you have the portable charger and tire repair (and tow hook) under the cargo floor. Check the body and glass for chips, cracks, dents, defects and scrapes. Look at the paint. Tire pressures. Lights (lenses and operation). Charger flap and port. Check the interior for damage. Glove box, center console, switches and ports. Raise and lower the rear seats, front and back buttons. Check the charge and range. Check the Climate Controls, heat, cool, fan. Check Gesture Controls. Check Voice Commands. Check all the cameras. Raise and lower the air suspension, if included.

Connected stuff: make sure you have the key card, activate it. Connect your phone and activate DK+ if it's capable. Activate your eSIM if you plan on doing that. Make sure your ID is connected and correct. Check the key fobs and make sure they work. Check that your Sirius XM free trial is active if you plan on using it. Make sure Apple Car Play/AA work. Activate Alexa if you plan on using it. Have the Genius go through ALL of your app settings and set them how you want them (important ones - charge default, profile, driving settings, TPMS, Drive Recorder). Install/connect MyBMW and make sure it works. Check all of your subscriptions. Make sure your EA trial is active. Check your OS version and make sure it's current.

Those are starters, and will take some time. If your dealer is close, you may skip some, but before you sign that everything is OK, make sure it is. If your dealer is far away, you might want to spend the time now.

Last edited by Paladin1; 03-26-2024 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Useful stuffs, tnx.

Dealership is off our beaten track, so trying to absorb as much as we can on our orientation. Maybe I'll plan on a second trip down early next week.

Been watching & reading what I can about the iX, 8.5 etc. Home charger is installed, accounts are mostly open.

Interested in what defects new owners have been discovering.

I bought a dealer demo car a while back. It was a wet, cold, slushy, crappy windy day, and the car had some light weather grime on it.

Luckily I took the time to go over it carefully & found a fairly substantial but hard to see ding. The dealership gave me crap about it, but ended up making it right. I've been cautious ever since. Not what one would expect from a white glove dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:30 PM   #6
shoot_the_goalie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

In addition to everything that was said, ask to take your new vehicle on a short test drive before leaving the dealership. Listen for any noises that sound out of the ordinary, like creaks, clicks, etc.
Appreciate 1
JSTARR142.00
      03-26-2024, 01:48 PM   #7
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good one.
Clearly turn off iconic sounds goes to top of my list!
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 01:50 PM   #8
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTARR View Post
Good one.
So.... when I test drove my car I fumbled around to disable Iconic Sounds so I could hear the car. And, I assumed that I would not want the silly feature on my forever car.

But.... after getting my car, I have come to really like Iconic Sounds. I may never turn it off.
      03-26-2024, 01:57 PM   #9
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good one.
You can set efficient mode in my modes which will cut off the sounds.
Appreciate 1
JSTARR142.00
      03-26-2024, 02:34 PM   #10
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm going to need some convincing about iconic sounds and the dual scent cartridges. Like, how does one decide whether to engage "paper mill" or "prison lav" on a given day?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:38 PM   #11
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I do miss aviation and all the choices & gadgets available.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:55 PM   #12
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm going to need some convincing about iconic sounds and the dual scent cartridges. Like, how does one decide whether to engage "paper mill" or "prison lav" on a given day?
Which dual scent cartridges do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:33 PM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Actually I find the Iconic sounds give a positive auditory feedback on acceleration and deceleration. As above, unless in Efficiency Mode, on all the time.
Appreciate 2
JSTARR142.00
LVBMW1328.00
      03-26-2024, 03:37 PM   #14
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Went fown the rabbit hole of watching a string of BMW co. instructional videos for iX. One was on the ambient air scent package. I didn't order it, or even know that it was a thing.
Apparently there are numerous scent cartridges available, and in the glove box is a holder for two cartridges and somewhere in iDrive you can select either one installed.
I was envisioning the best and worst possibilities.
Brought back memories of Trans Lux, a movie theatre & film distribution company my family was involved with, and I used to attend their demos. They were at one time featuring "Aromarama" which had some aromas it was impossible to unsmell.
My apologies if I offended anyone with this rant.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:40 PM   #15
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The iconic sounds is a cool thing, I'm an old sound/studio tech and go back to the original moogs
I do adore silence best of all.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 03:44 PM   #16
LVBMW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Went fown the rabbit hole of watching a string of BMW co. instructional videos for iX. One was on the ambient air scent package. I didn't order it, or even know that it was a thing.
Apparently there are numerous scent cartridges available, and in the glove box is a holder for two cartridges and somewhere in iDrive you can select either one installed.
I was envisioning the best and worst possibilities.
Brought back memories of Trans Lux, a movie theatre & film distribution company my family was involved with, and I used to attend their demos. They were at one time featuring "Aromarama" which had some aromas it was impossible to unsmell.
My apologies if I offended anyone with this rant.
No problem. It is not a thing for US iX models (not available for US models).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:32 PM   #17
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Question for the board. For IX models manufactured after 1/17/2024 BMW supposedly has installed a new and improved coolant valve to address the cold weather coolant leaks that were happening . For deliveries of models manufactured before that date are they being fixed before delivery or are the owners still signing acknowledgment letters for the defect. To OP, if your new IX has this potential defect I would certainly want to know how BMW is handling this matter. BMW treated me fairly but nonetheless I was without my IX for two months awaiting repair, which was accomplished two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:27 PM   #18
BZ101
Rep
Drives: iX M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
Radio & SiriusXM presets are combined in one "Presets" app. I love it. After you get all your presets selected, you can go into the app to reorder them.
An iDrive 8.5 thing with the app? I’m on a 12/22 build iX50 so won’t get that but do have the latest iPhone app. I have no idea how to reorder and I cringe adding new favorites as Sirius adds/changes channels regularly.

Anybody know of another way to reorder favorites? I don’t like presets because the list doesn’t show you what is actually playing like the Sirius favorites filter does. I set the two finger peace sign to favorite channels for quick access.
Appreciate 1
JSTARR142.00
      03-26-2024, 08:07 PM   #19
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
One gesture control for activating sports mode(point 2 fingers)
The second for activating massage seats(5 o 5)
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 09:46 AM   #20
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Picking up our iX tomorrow (Thursday). We're truly stoked, glad that the dealership has a delivery bay (rains gonna fall) and the genius is booked.
With the excellent help from kind Bimmerpost members, our draft PDI checklist is becoming a fine asset for us & other new iX buyers, and I'll post it below. Any additional suggestions will be highly welcomed.
Thanks good folks! jas
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13537.00
Paladin15556.00
      03-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #21
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
RE: Aromarama Pods:

No problem. It is not a thing for US iX models (not available for US models).
I got a kick out of realizing that this is not a North American market thing.

My wife reminds me that we have a friend in Hawaii who makes custom aromatherapy scents. She gets large contracts to supply custom scents for weddings in Asia & the Middle East, the theme scents sometimes becoming the "celebrity" of an enormous gala.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #22
Rockdiamond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 50 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
[*]Radio & SiriusXM presets are combined in one "Presets" app. I love it. After you get all your presets selected, you can go into the app to reorder them.
[/LIST]
Sounds amazing....
which app are you referring to? THe one on the phone?
Appreciate 0