Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Never once did I extrapolate my/her use case to others on this forum. In fact, I've gone out of my way to state EXPLICITLY that everybody's use case and access to certain resources is different. What is convenient for one may be inconvenient for another.
Exactly, you are the exception to the rule. Kind of like some people saying the coal generated electricity in their state is dirtier than gasoline.
I'm not, but it's not worth the back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:42 AM   #68
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
More and more nails in the coffin for ICE performance cars. This is impressive although I was hoping the X5M comp would do much better.
Why would these be considered "nails in the coffin for ICE cars"? Because folks only have one criteria when purchasing a vehicle and that's how fast it gets to 60 mph?

Until manufacturers completely stop producing them, plenty of us will continue to choose the screaming and obnoxious inline 6s, V8s, V10s and V12s.

How fast a vehicle gets to 60 mph is pretty far down the bottom of my list when choosing a vehicle. Same goes for how quickly it goes around the 'Ring. Cute statistic, but that's about it.
"Why would these be considered "nails in the coffin for ICE cars"? Because folks only have one criteria when purchasing a vehicle and that's how fast it gets to 60 mph? "

You are correct. 0-60 the only thing that matters to 99% of performance car buyers, even if they say otherwise.
If that were the case we would all just skip on over to TESLA and call it a day…..

… but we haven't.
Or Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc. I'm not debating that ICE cars have advantages today, and for many the dynamics of ICE prevail. But the future is EV whether we like it or not. For the record, I have two ICE cars, I don't own an EV. It's just where the auto industry is going, we can all agree to disagree if you have a different point of view.
I can agree that they will have a range of EV offerings, but I disagree that some big EV takeover is looming. The auto industry knows that a culture shift toward EV's will take many decades……if ever (…at least here in America).
The Big Horse-drawn Carriage Industry said the same thing about the fancy horseless carriage.

All kidding aside, I think you're right. The enthusiast marketplace, both OEM and aftermarket, are titans that don't want to see massive shifts quickly. A glacial pace of change would more benefit the major players involved.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15549.50
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      06-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #69
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
The Big Horse-drawn Carriage Industry said the same thing about the fancy horseless carriage.

All kidding aside, I think you're right. The enthusiast marketplace, both OEM and aftermarket, are titans that don't want to see massive shifts quickly. A glacial pace of change would more benefit the major players involved.
And an apt analogy. A well developed industry with a universal infrastructure, decades and centuries old, understood by everyone, virtually everyone had one - available to the working man, solid safety record, economical to run and maintain, attractive to the public eye, hundreds of supporting industries.

As opposed to: Expensive beyond belief, extremely limited availability only to the rich, ugly by public standards, offensive to the eye and ear, dangerous, no existing support infrastructure - fuel or roads, expensive to run or repair, almost no supporting industries.

And yet, here we are. Trying, fruitlessly, to find a buggy-whip today. The first electric car in the US, BTW, was developed in 1890.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #70
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I don’t think the 40 or 50 have launch control. It appears to be reserved for the M60.
Explaining why I wrote one of the two If it is about a drag race, both cars should run the best possible way which obviously isn't the case here.

Granted, in real life the ix50 will perform better as I don't think or at least hope anyone uses launch control in daily traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #71
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Well, I suppose we'll see who I wins this debate over the next decade.

My lady has a BMW 530e. She doesn't have a 220v charger (…although her new home is wired for it, I just need to install the outlet itself), so she plugs into a 110v outlet. To obtain a full charge it take anywhere from 8-10 hours; it'll be 3-4 with the 220v. What she saves at the pump reflects in the increased cost in her electricity bill. Her electricity bill has increased about $200 a month since she began plugging in. She does not have solar panels. Based on her real world use case it is almost a wash. Fortunately she can run on gas so it isn't super concerning, but she will not go EV.
I wouldn't be comparing her current experience charging the 530e on 110. It is completely inefficient and she is overpaying. Not to mention the ridiculously small battery in that car.

That said, the G05 45e I have don't have a significantly larger battery, and before the recent gas price hike, we would fill up Premium gas every 2 weeks, for a monthly fuel cost of around $90, and an increase in home electricity of around $100 a month. This is for daily weekday driving of ~70 miles. Our net decrease in operating expenses was around $150 per month going from full ICE to PHEV ICE.

Once you get her on a 220v charger, she should experience a cost savings in electricity changing nothing in her charging/battery consumption habits.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #72
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
I followed up with her and she's on a mandatory time-of-use plan through SDGE. Because it takes so long to charge, the hours overlap to the highest rate.
Install a 220v level 2 charger, and set the charger/vehicle start charge times for off-peak. She will see a drastic decrease in electricity bill
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #73
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
We have a X5M comp and should be getting our iX M60 next month will be interesting to compare them.

Noushy
noushy

please do let me know. I do not have a current gen X5M, but had a previous F85, and would be very interested a your X5MC is much improved and quicker than my F85 was. Will be interesting to get your take on the M60. I have one arriving in 30-60 days myself (If it ever gets out of Quality Check purgatory)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:31 PM   #74
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
We have a X5M comp and should be getting our iX M60 next month will be interesting to compare them.

Noushy
noushy

please do let me know. I do not have a current gen X5M, but had a previous F85, and would be very interested a your X5MC is much improved and quicker than my F85 was. Will be interesting to get your take on the M60. I have one arriving in 30-60 days myself (If it ever gets out of Quality Check purgatory)
Will do mine should be here by August

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #75
twinturbomann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i, 2022 X6 X40i

I'd like to know the real world details of what's the miles left before and after these runs. That way you get an idea of the power consumption of the iX.
Appreciate 0