BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #1
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 Black Saphire

Bikes,kayaks,skis accessories

US outdoorsy folks, let’s talk about options to carry bikes, kayaks, skis etc. I specifically say US, as Europe accessories differ significantly.
So with tow hitch situation is sad, but pretty clear. Stealth Hitch guys need vehicle to design and produce hitch and they are in Atlanta. I need it so badly, that I will drive from NJ to them, if nobody does it before.

Now what’s the deal with roof bars?? I see only this is available. Given fact that roof doesn’t open, this looks really ugly, not sure what designers thought, but in can be much more low profile. Thule and Yakima US sites doesn’t list any options ((

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...zrPLIFL-19AXwQ
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva_BMW View Post
I will drive from NJ to them, if nobody does it before.
When does your iX arrive? I will also be a Stealth Hitch customer when the product becomes available ... however I have no interest in driving from NJ to GA to be a guinea pig
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #3
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
When does your iX arrive? I will also be a Stealth Hitch customer when the product becomes available ... however I have no interest in driving from NJ to GA to be a guinea pig
Should be in about a month
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

ok ... looking like yours will arrive before mine anyway. Completed production on 6/14 and stuck in "quality check" ... I'm assuming mine will miss the 6/30 boat for NJ, which means next boat isn't leaving Bremerhaven until 7/23
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
ok ... looking like yours will arrive before mine anyway. Completed production on 6/14 and stuck in "quality check" ... I'm assuming mine will miss the 6/30 boat for NJ, which means next boat isn't leaving Bremerhaven until 7/23
Oh, you already did research. Mine is awaiting carrier assignment from Friday, just completed build last week, but I doubt it will make it for 6/30... It is a bummer that next is only on 7/23
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:12 PM   #6
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Now what’s the deal with roof bars?? I see only this is available. Given fact that roof doesn’t open, this looks really ugly, not sure what designers thought, but in can be much more low profile. Thule and Yakima US sites doesn’t list any options ((

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...zrPLIFL-19AXwQ
It might be that having lower profile roof bars would negatively affect the drag on the vehicle by forcing more air 'up and over' the roof box that's been displaced by the front of the vehicle verses up and over the roofline - i.e. in this configuration, a roof box might largely count as a wind obstacle by itself rather than increasing the size of the car's profile. Or, of course, they might just be using the same system as they've used on other cars. Or something in-between.

Either way, it actually looks pretty good with a roof box on. When I went to fill out some paperwork ready for collection of my iX, I saw they had a 40 on the showroom floor with the roof rack and roof box attached and I thought it looked neat. Will probably end up getting one when we next go on holiday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
mcl117.00
      06-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #7
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
It might be that having lower profile roof bars would negatively affect the drag on the vehicle by forcing more air 'up and over' the roof box that's been displaced by the front of the vehicle verses up and over the roofline - i.e. in this configuration, a roof box might largely count as a wind obstacle by itself rather than increasing the size of the car's profile. Or, of course, they might just be using the same system as they've used on other cars. Or something in-between.

Either way, it actually looks pretty good with a roof box on. When I went to fill out some paperwork ready for collection of my iX, I saw they had a 40 on the showroom floor with the roof rack and roof box attached and I thought it looked neat. Will probably end up getting one when we next go on holiday.
But you don’t always drive with roofbox. Can be bike or ski carrier and those more low profile and more aerodynamic newish Thule bars are really better
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 10:27 PM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I think what makes it look tall is that it doesn't have roof rails, the podium accounts for all of the clearance to the roof. The distance from the cross bar to the roof of the car is probably the same, but normally you'd have an inch and a half or so of height from the roof rail running along the roof, which gives a bit of a false sense of where the roof is from most angles. The roof rail also makes the podiums and feet shorter, when they only have to attach to the protruding rails and get some clearance to the roof for free.

Thule (the makers of these) and probably others are going to maintain a certain clearance to the top of the car, regardless of the mount method, so that attachments that have to wrap around the cross bars, and things like ski bindings, have some room to hang below the bar.

Put another way, in the photo above if you imagined the bars were exactly where they are now, but there were roof rails running along the car, the cross bars would look much more tucked and lower profile.

I don't think the ski bindings I have manage to hang below the cross bars on my current car, but that's only because the ski carrier attachment I have is fairly tall. I know for certain that some others that are shorter would definitely make my bindings hang below the bars, as my friend has a cheaper ski carrier like that.

I can't tell if these are the aeroblades or not. If they aren't, aeroblades are flatter, and the podium packages tend to be more curved rather than square, but they don't really mount much lower.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Yeah, these aren't aeroblades, and they may not even be Thule (I feel like they've been used as OEM in the past for these on various models). So there could be a forthcoming aeroblade option that might look a little cleaner, but I still think without rails it's going to look a bit taller than otherwise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:20 PM   #10
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I think what makes it look tall is that it doesn't have roof rails, the podium accounts for all of the clearance to the roof. The distance from the cross bar to the roof of the car is probably the same, but normally you'd have an inch and a half or so of height from the roof rail running along the roof, which gives a bit of a false sense of where the roof is from most angles. The roof rail also makes the podiums and feet shorter, when they only have to attach to the protruding rails and get some clearance to the roof for free.

Thule (the makers of these) and probably others are going to maintain a certain clearance to the top of the car, regardless of the mount method, so that attachments that have to wrap around the cross bars, and things like ski bindings, have some room to hang below the bar.

Put another way, in the photo above if you imagined the bars were exactly where they are now, but there were roof rails running along the car, the cross bars would look much more tucked and lower profile.

I don't think the ski bindings I have manage to hang below the cross bars on my current car, but that's only because the ski carrier attachment I have is fairly tall. I know for certain that some others that are shorter would definitely make my bindings hang below the bars, as my friend has a cheaper ski carrier like that.

I can't tell if these are the aeroblades or not. If they aren't, aeroblades are flatter, and the podium packages tend to be more curved rather than square, but they don't really mount much lower.
I think you have valid points, but my rant is more about US specific situation.
Europe has Thule bars on website and it is visible that podiums are lower themselves
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rac...xed%2520points
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:18 AM   #11
hellojed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Quote:
Europe has Thule bars on website and it is visible that podiums are lower themselves
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/roof-rac...xed%2520points
Those same parts are available on the us site. Just search for the part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #12
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojed View Post
Those same parts are available on the us site. Just search for the part numbers.
Thanks a lot, you are star and just in time for 20% sale. The only problem is actually main part not in stock Kit 187033, but maybe I will be able to get it later.

But overall it would be much sleeker setup and in fully black color to match Saphire Black
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #13
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:

Kind of hard to tell TBH whether they are lower, just from that Thule photo. That's not even an iX pictured.

I usually prefer their stuff anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:39 PM   #14
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Kind of hard to tell TBH whether they are lower, just from that Thule photo. That's not even an iX pictured.

I usually prefer their stuff anyway.
I agree that without real measurements, it is not possible to compare properly. That’s why I hope to get this information here if somebody already have them.

Wingbars Edge even have this in description, which kind of match my thoughts. And another benefit of Wingbars is that they have double rubber insert and you don’t need to cut it in order to insert t track mounts, which is super neat.

Cars with sun roof: Due to the racks' low fit on the vehicle, it may not be possible to open the sun roof when the racks are installed. Please check clearance before opening your sun roof
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:40 PM   #15
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Oh yeah, the opening issue. I knew there was some reason for decent clearance. Not a problem for us!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #16
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, the opening issue. I knew there was some reason for decent clearance. Not a problem for us!
Exactly my point in original post, that as it is not opening, need to take advantage of that
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #17
ricerboi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [7.50]
I've read somewhere that Yakima is making a fixed point attachment for these? I have an existing Yakima Skybox 21 + Aero bars setup from my F15 X5 so I just want to reuse the bar + box (I know the towers won't fit). Thanks in advance to you guys "in the know" with this stuff to let us know when Yakima's offering is for sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #18
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

The bmw genuine one is pretty solid. I have a box and bike input on about once a year. Easy enough but still prefer the hitch for bikes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:03 PM   #19
chrlwlsh
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xdrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojed View Post
Has anyone tried the Thule? How is it in terms of wind noise?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:20 PM   #20
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlwlsh View Post
Has anyone tried the Thule? How is it in terms of wind noise?
Yeah I have the Thule. I have only used them with the ski rack though so I can’t speak for the bars themselves. I don’t have any noise or whistling issues but a lot of this is going to depend on your precise positioning of the rack and load (skis or whatever). Of course the crossbars are fixed point but the accessory positioning is going to vary between installs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:22 PM   #21
chrlwlsh
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xdrive50

Quote:
Yeah I have the Thule. I have only used them with the ski rack though so I can’t speak for the bars themselves. I don’t have any noise or whistling issues but a lot of this is going to depend on your precise positioning of the rack and load (skis or whatever). Of course the crossbars are fixed point but the accessory positioning is going to vary between installs.
Easy to place and remove?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:29 PM   #22
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlwlsh View Post
Easy to place and remove?
Yes, pretty easy. Not quite as quick as rail clamp racks because you have the fixed point pedestals that also need removal.

There is one hex bolt on each side that needs to be loosened and then the bar comes off. Then the pedestal is attached with a post to the fixed point. Use the same hex tool to remove a nut, the pedestal is now off. Then the post unscrews from the fixed point. Then just flip down the little door to cover the fixed point.

I pull the rack off to wash the car and it takes about five minutes once you know how it works, I keep the hex tool in the center console.
Appreciate 1
ricerboi836.00