BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

"Highway Assistant" on i7

I noticed that the driving assistance professional package on the i7 includes "highway assistant" which is hands free driving up to 85 mph on the highway. I thought this feature would come to the iX with an over-the-air update but since highway assistant isn't mentioned in the iX specs it is safe to assume it won't get this feature?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

I've seen a post online in another forum that said Highway Assistant would come as an OTA feature in November but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else. BMW have repeatedly said the iX would get full level 3 autonomous driving which highway assistant should be a part of, so I'd hope that we all get these features as free OTA updates.

Last edited by PhilD; 06-27-2022 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
V3n0m51
Vroom^2
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30 MY23 M550i

I asked my local genius about this and was told specifically the IX would be updated to have similar driving capability to i7.

I expressed frustration with the idea of a brand new platform / model already being obsolete before it's even truly released. The genius said the hardware between the i7 and iX was similar, but BMW was focusing on releasing level 3 on the 7 first, then the iX with an OTA.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #4
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3n0m51 View Post
I asked my local genius about this and was told specifically the IX would be updated to have similar driving capability to i7.

I expressed frustration with the idea of a brand new platform / model already being obsolete before it's even truly released. The genius said the hardware between the i7 and iX was similar, but BMW was focusing on releasing level 3 on the 7 first, then the iX with an OTA.
To be honest, the goal posts have been changing for a while. First the iX was going to be the first BMW released with level 3. Then the new 7 series was going to be the first released. The latest is, I believe, that BMW expects to start rolling out level 3 driving in the second half of 2025. I imagine at that point, it'll just be in 'new' models of their vehicles as I doubt they'll do the right thing and roll out tech for three year old cars then. I just really hope we manage to get highway assistant for existing iX models, I hope it's rolled out to support all motorways I plan on driving on and I hope we get it before too long. All the other level 3 tech would be nice, but Highway Assistant would cover the 'worst' part of long drives. Unfortunately, I think the biggest hold up is regulation. It could take years for BMW to cut through all the red tape and get governments onboard. By which point, they'll probably restrict the feature to new models to drive sales.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
To be honest, the goal posts have been changing for a while. First the iX was going to be the first BMW released with level 3. Then the new 7 series was going to be the first released. The latest is, I believe, that BMW expects to start rolling out level 3 driving in the second half of 2025. I imagine at that point, it'll just be in 'new' models of their vehicles as I doubt they'll do the right thing and roll out tech for three year old cars then. I just really hope we manage to get highway assistant for existing iX models, I hope it's rolled out to support all motorways I plan on driving on and I hope we get it before too long. All the other level 3 tech would be nice, but Highway Assistant would cover the 'worst' part of long drives. Unfortunately, I think the biggest hold up is regulation. It could take years for BMW to cut through all the red tape and get governments onboard. By which point, they'll probably restrict the feature to new models to drive sales.
I believe it's also about liability since there's a major shift in liability when the car takes over more and more of the driving. I for one am more than happy for BMW to take their time to get it right as opposed to rushing it to the market for no good reason.
      06-27-2022, 10:22 PM   #6
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I believe it's also about liability since there's a major shift in liability when the car takes over more and more of the driving. I for one am more than happy for BMW to take their time to get it right as opposed to rushing it to the market for no good reason.
The liability change comes with level 3 - if a car is self driving with level 3 mode then the manufacturer is the one liable to cover the bill in case of any accidents - i.e. it's not *your* insurance, it's BMW's. I'm not sure if Highway Assistant would involve that though as I think it's classified as a level 2 driving assistant (level 2+ unofficially) and as such, the driver (and their insurance) would still be the ones liable. Level 3 is 'eyes off' i.e. you don't even have to be looking at the road or have your hands on the wheel and the car has to give you notification in 'reasonable time' for you to take back control. Level 2 can be 'hands off' in certain situations like for Highway Assistant - you still have to have your eyes on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

I called the BMW genius hotline and the person told me she didn't have any information on whether this would be the case or not. She guessed it would be based on whether the hardware can support it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #8
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3n0m51 View Post

Do not purchase any vehicle on the promise of something coming in the future. Only purchase the vehicle if everything that it has, today, meets your needs. Don't ever buy on the promise of something a local fellow tells you. They have no idea and are not liable for the BS they may be peddling.

Quote:
There is no regulatory hold-up in the US. Ford has Blue Cruise and GM has Super Cruise. BMW is just woefully behind.

Quote:
The liability change comes with level 3 - if a car is self driving with level 3 mode then the manufacturer is the one liable to cover the bill in case of any accidents - i.e. it's not *your* insurance, it's BMW's. I'm not sure if Highway Assistant would involve that though as I think it's classified as a level 2 driving assistant (level 2+ unofficially) and as such, the driver (and their insurance) would still be the ones liable. Level 3 is 'eyes off' i.e. you don't even have to be looking at the road or have your hands on the wheel and the car has to give you notification in 'reasonable time' for you to take back control. Level 2 can be 'hands off' in certain situations like for Highway Assistant - you still have to have your eyes on the road.
I don't think that's the case in the US. I don't believe there is any law requiring manufacturers to assume liability, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #9
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

It is a safe bet that the 2024 model will have highway assist since I am buying the 2023 model.

It does bother me that GM has the well-reviewed Supercruise system rolling out to the much cheaper Lyriq and BMW doesn't seem to have their ducks in a row on this feature.

Last edited by razor488; 06-29-2022 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #10
karmakal
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G30 530D (iX50 on order)

FWIW, motorway assistant announced from March 2023 for BMW iX

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakal View Post
FWIW, motorway assistant announced from March 2023 for BMW iX

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
Does that mean vehicles produced in March 2023 or March 2023 OTA?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
karmakal
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G30 530D (iX50 on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Does that mean vehicles produced in March 2023 or March 2023 OTA?
Can't answer this sorry, just found this info on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
williocom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3

Believe it is in reference to March 23 and onwards as as above it makes a reference to 6/28 and I doubt that refers to June 2028.
///2015 M3 MW/SO (RETIRED)
///2011 e93 M3 AW/FR (RETIRED)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williocom View Post
Believe it is in reference to March 23 and onwards as as above it makes a reference to 6/28 and I doubt that refers to June 2028.
I think it is saying they plan to produce the iX until June 2028
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #15
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
I think it is saying they plan to produce the iX until June 2028
Correct, iX will be in production through the end of June 2028, when the model will be eliminated in favor/promotion of the "standard" lineup. BMW will be offering for all next-gen series vehicles both ICE and BEV variants built on the same chassis.

Interestingly enough, the "Motorway Assistant" will be available on iX vehicles beginning March 2023. No word if this will be an OTA software upgrade to properly equipped vehicles thereafter, or if it will require new/different hardware in addition to the software.

We'll find out in March when I get new psdzdata and try to code it to my iXM60
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #16
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Correct, iX will be in production through the end of June 2028, when the model will be eliminated in favor/promotion of the "standard" lineup. BMW will be offering for all next-gen series vehicles both ICE and BEV variants built on the same chassis.

Interestingly enough, the "Motorway Assistant" will be available on iX vehicles beginning March 2023. No word if this will be an OTA software upgrade to properly equipped vehicles thereafter, or if it will require new/different hardware in addition to the software.

We'll find out in March when I get new psdzdata and try to code it to my iXM60
I wonder if the car market will be crazy enough where you could trade in your iX on a march 2023 model without taking a loss. I really want this feature but I also need a car now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #17
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Maybe 6/28 is when BMW will add lidar.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #18
scania
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

I rather suspect that the long range radar will be replaced by LiDAR on March 2023 onward.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #19
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Would that mean that highway assist would not be available as an OTA since its a hardware change?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #20
scania
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

They might offer an OTA for long range radar but it appears like they going forward will focus on LiDAR. I was hoping LiDaR was already installed on all 2022 IX but it appears not.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #21
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Is LiDAR a feature that is worth waiting on? I guess it would delay me about 12 months getting this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #22
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

When it comes to Highway Assistant, there's no reason the hardware in the iX as it is couldn't do it. Lidar is basically just a higher resolution Radar. Unless BMW wants Highway Assistant to tailgate automatically to mere millimetres, the accuracy of radar is more than enough. The area where Lidar is going to help (provided the system it's connected to has sufficient computation ability to deal with the higher resolution properly) is lower speed driving, in particular unpredictable city driving where there are cars parked everywhere, cars coming the other way and barely enough space to get through. I mean European city driving here, to be clear, not the US/Canada style roads in cities.

If BMW doesn't enable Highway Assist on existing iX models then it will be purely a financial decision. Not a technological one. Even if they blame it on technology. They've hinted a few times at the plan for new driving tech to become available for existing models, in contrast to how they've handled software updates in the past but I'll see it when I believe it.

My guess is it will depend on how long it actually takes them to get Highway Assistant to the market. If it's 1 year, then they might enable it for existing cars. If it's 3 years then they'll likely make it new cars only. That's just my gut feeling though.
Appreciate 0