Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I am not convinced that iX in any trim is ready for prime time. It's still a transitional vehicle intended to capture early attention from brand loyalists - present company included.

I would rather lease X5M for 3 years and then consider a broader variety of options.
Why do you think it’s not ready?
@AlexFL, the current battery technology reached the limit. Solid state batteries are future.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2027.50
      02-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #24
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
but then why couldn't you apply the same concept and lease an iX M60 and see what could change in the future?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #25
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

max tow and range on these?

how about cold weather range impact for ski trips?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #26
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
What do you mean!? What's your concept of M?
Same as other M badges on other "M Performance" models.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #27
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
Initial estimates of EPA range is about 280 miles, 14% less then M50.

Tow ratings for the M50 was 2,500 kg, I would guess M60 should be similar.

Quote:
how about cold weather range impact for ski trips?
Bjorn has done a range testing of the M50 under mild winter condition.
Appreciate 2
Mavus2027.50
Paladin15556.00
      02-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #28
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slampert View Post
I'm concerned about the loss of range as well. 15% is not trivial.

But given that the various tradeoffs seem to balance, I can see that for me, the iX50 vs M60 purchase decision is going to come down to availability...!

Otherwise the M60 seems like the obvious choice.
I wonder about that. It seems possible that the range difference is down to wheels or just the way the test utilizes the max available power.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the 50 and 60 get very similar range if driven identically with the same wheels and tires. But the 60 is rated for less because it sucks more juice when you stomp on it or has stickier/wider tires.

The more fuel efficient tires are usually pretty narrow.
Appreciate 1
slampert162.00
      02-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #29
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pin  View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Don't understand fitting an M badge to these horrid electric monstrosities.
Race one at a red light and then you might.
red light? I have a better idea: six hours at an actual race track, car that completes the most laps in that time wins the other guy's car. seems fair, doesn't it? I'd use my six year old F82 (or Poiseuille Jr's GTi or whatever), Elkhart Lake isn't far from you is it? or LRP if you prefer shorter tracks. only rule: you get as many pitstops as you like but no changing to a different car like in Formula E.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #30
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
red light? I have a better idea: six hours at an actual race track, car that completes the most laps in that time wins the other guy's car. seems fair, doesn't it?
LOL, no, it is not a better idea.
Any EV owner can do a launch from the red light, but I don't any car owner or any readers in this forum would take up your "race" for 6 hours!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 10:58 PM   #31
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
red light? I have a better idea: six hours at an actual race track, car that completes the most laps in that time wins the other guy's car. seems fair, doesn't it?
LOL, no, it is not a better idea.
Any EV owner can do a launch from the red light, but I don't any car owner or any readers in this forum would take up your "race" for 6 hours!
I think you'd be surprised at who reads this forum, and that they might not consider drag racing from red lights on public roads to be actual racing. not that we don't all do it, it's just not on the same plane. at all.
regarding the 'six hour' duration, I don't consider that a big deal. in fact Poiseuille Jr's season kicks off April 2nd and 3rd at Pittsburgh with two 6hr races in two days.
the point of multi laps on a closed circuit is this: your EV can beat my ICE in the (typical) 1/8 mile drag race, I have no doubt. but how many times, in a row, can it do that? twice? without taking a nap? F82, and most ICE powered cars, can do it all day. fact is, you'll be in limp mode before I get the brakes up to temp.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 11:10 PM   #32
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
I think you'd be surprised at who reads this forum, and that they might not consider drag racing from red lights on public roads to be actual racing. not that we don't all do it, it's just not on the same plane. at all.
regarding the 'six hour' duration, I don't consider that a big deal. in fact Poiseuille Jr's season kicks off April 2nd and 3rd at Pittsburgh with two 6hr races in two days.
the point of multi laps on a closed circuit is this: your EV can beat my ICE in the (typical) 1/8 mile drag race, I have no doubt. but how many times, in a row, can it do that? twice? without taking a nap? F82, and most ICE powered cars, can do it all day. fact is, you'll be in limp mode before I get the brakes up to temp.
Crap, you'd better tell Formula 1 that their 90 minute races aren't 'proper racing'. While you're at it, you should get BMW to go and take the M badges off the cars of all owners that never take their cars on track days.

The iX M60 is as much of an 'M' car as the X5 M or the X6 M. It's just a trim level for the highest performing variant of a model line. It doesn't mean it's only reserved for drag racing or track racing. It's just a letter.
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6157.50
      02-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #33
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Quote:
Crap, you'd better tell Formula 1 that their 90 minute races aren't 'proper racing'. While you're at it, you should get BMW to go and take the M badges off the cars of all owners that never take their cars on track days.

The iX M60 is as much of an 'M' car as the X5 M or the X6 M. It's just a trim level for the highest performing variant of a model line. It doesn't mean it's only reserved for drag racing or track racing. It's just a letter.
I'm sure you're right. In fact, I'm sure BMW are working even as we type on the badging for the (no doubt) soon to be announced X7M'Competition'.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      02-20-2022, 11:31 PM   #34
Hi
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I wonder about that. It seems possible that the range difference is down to wheels or just the way the test utilizes the max available power.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the 50 and 60 get very similar range if driven identically with the same wheels and tires. But the 60 is rated for less because it sucks more juice when you stomp on it or has stickier/wider tires.

The 21" wheels for 50 and 60 use the same tire size, 255/50R21 109H. Between 50 and M60 the weights are 5,659 and 5,769 respectively. Not sure where the extra 110lbs comes from, but that may explain *some* of the 25 mile range difference.

I'm also curious to know the range impact on the M60 with different wheel sey up. If the 22" wheels (1LB and 1LD) are more efficient on the 50, the m60 should have a longer range as well with 22". There are no indications that the brakes calipers or discs are larger on M60. It would be interesting to know the range with 20" wheels, assuming they fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 04:44 AM   #35
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi View Post
I'm also curious to know the range impact on the M60 with different wheel sey up. If the 22" wheels (1LB and 1LD) are more efficient on the 50, the m60 should have a longer range as well with 22". There are no indications that the brakes calipers or discs are larger on M60. It would be interesting to know the range with 20" wheels, assuming they fit.
The German site has the range in the configurator. There is basically no difference between 21" and 22" wheels for M60. The 21" wheels has 561km WLTP range, while 22" wheels have 557km WLTP range (1020, 1021 and 1023 Perf). The only one which causes significant drop in range was 22" M 1023 Sport when range dropped to 516km WLTP (7.4% drop).

No 20" available for the M60.

Last edited by nosnoop; 02-21-2022 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
sor3102.00
slampert162.00
      02-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #36
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

The 21" wheels for 50 and 60 use the same tire size, 255/50R21 109H. Between 50 and M60 the weights are 5,659 and 5,769 respectively. Not sure where the extra 110lbs comes from, but that may explain *some* of the 25 mile range difference.

Yeah, I'll admit I haven't done a deep dive spec for spec.

I wonder if weight difference could partially be to difference in standard options as well. In which case maybe you're going to lose range with a specific 50 build that you don't necessarily realize.

It's complicated to say the least 280 EPA is pretty good though considering most non-Teslas meet or exceed their EPA.
My e-tron is 222 miles EPA and I've driven 224 in one go with 23 miles left.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:21 PM   #37
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
You'll get tow ratings but good luck with figuring out tow range on an EV. EV's have all the torque needed for towing but lack the energy density need for towing long distance. I wouldn't plan on anything other than short trips around town with any substantial weight (and drag) being towed. You're talking about cars where the wheels matter in range estimates now you want to estimate the range for a small 4x6 trailer? A 21' wakeboard boat? A box trailer? Or just a small trailer with two jet-skis?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #38
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post

LOL listen guy, unless your family car can survive a 6 hour endurance race it’s not worthy of muh badge. And don’t you dare spec the massage seats.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some some gardening to get to. If I could just find my ice cream scoop.
cbertels1215.50
      02-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #39
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Quote:
You'll get tow ratings but good luck with figuring out tow range on an EV. EV's have all the torque needed for towing but lack the energy density need for towing long distance. I wouldn't plan on anything other than short trips around town with any substantial weight (and drag) being towed. You're talking about cars where the wheels matter in range estimates now you want to estimate the range for a small 4x6 trailer? A 21' wakeboard boat? A box trailer? Or just a small trailer with two jet-skis?
kinda what I was thinking but just trying to figure out if this can be a swiss army knife vehicle at that price or not when we go on fam vaca. it is 24ft boat over ~6-7hr 250-300mi trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #40
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
kinda what I was thinking but just trying to figure out if this can be a swiss army knife vehicle at that price or not when we go on fam vaca. it is 24ft boat over ~6-7hr 250-300mi trip.
There was a recent CarWow video where they tested the effects of different things like roofboxes and a caravan on the range of an EV. It’s not an iX but it could give you an idea. You’d probably be looking at having to stop and fast charge at least once, if not twice. At worst, I suspect you’d be looking at two 45 minute stops. Have a look at A Better Route Planner to try to gauge what it might be like for the trips you’d be interested in. You can tweak usage numbers in advanced settings. It’s a free site. Or maybe rent a boat at your holiday location instead!
Appreciate 1
Mavus2027.50
      02-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #41
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
As a general rule, you can assume you'll lose half your normal range if you tow anything. If at half the normal range the drive becomes too cumbersome for you, then an EV is not the right car for you to tow with right now. Your specific tow might do better than half range, especially if you drive a little slower than normal while towing, but there is no easy way to estimate it ahead of time so i would assume this as a starting point.

As charging speeds improve over time, this will be better handled, but it definitely is a problem at the moment in even the fastest charging EVs assuming that the road you take actually has the charging points you would need. Right now, EVs are near my limit in usage for longer trips when I consider actual road trips I am likely to do over the next few years (max 12-15 hour drives in a day). They are great for daily use, decent for a 5-6 hour trip and just good enough for my potential longer trips. Maybe in a decade from now, it will be easy to go super long distances while towing, but not today. I'd say it is at least two generations of cars away from happening if we are lucky.

Last edited by ggalanis; 02-21-2022 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Appreciate 2
Mavus2027.50
slampert162.00
      02-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #42
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Quote:
As a general rule, you can assume you'll lose half your normal range if you tow anything. If at half the normal range the drive becomes too cumbersome for you, then an EV is not the right car for you to tow with right now. Your specific tow might do better than half range, especially if you drive a little slower than normal while towing, but there is no easy way to estimate it ahead of time so i would assume this as a starting point.

As charging speeds improve over time, this will be better handled, but it definitely is a problem at the moment in even the fastest charging EVs assuming that the road you take actually has the charging points you would need. Right now, EVs are near my limit in usage for longer trips when I consider actual road trips I am likely to do over the next few years (max 12-15 hour drives in a day). They are great for daily use, decent for a 5-6 hour trip and just good enough for my potential longer trips. Maybe in a decade from now, it will be easy to go super long distances white towing, but not today. I'd say it is at least two generations of cars away from happening if we are lucky.
good summary of the current capabilities
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #43
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Really, really want one of these. Might flip the G82 in a year or two to do that.
how is the charging situation up there in the city? I would imagine its pretty good there?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #44
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
how is the charging situation up there in the city? I would imagine its pretty good there?
Oh man I’m the wrong guy to ask, always charge at home