Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
What a thoroughly obnoxious attitude you have.
He's on my Ignore list (and apologies for ranging so far afield from the topic of the OP's beautiful car - congrats!). A tempered sunroof is not going to shatter because of tinting - an opinion supported by every glass manufacturer and detailer out there, verified by a simple search. And lots of iX owners are going to want their sunroof tinted, because of the absence of a curtain - it cuts down on UV exposure and heat, even with the magical frosting. These posts shouldn't dissuade them from doing it.

And I'm not unacquainted with glass manufacturing or physics. BMW uses tempered glass in their sunroofs (other manufacturers sometimes use safety glass), and tempered glass is pretty durable stuff, designed to withstand both heat and impact fairly well. It's also designed to shatter into tiny, dull pieces if it does break, which is an excellent feature for overhead glass. It's heated to almost 1,200F in its manufacture, and is designed to withstand sharp temperature variations of up to 500F - what it doesn't tolerate very well is any manufacturing defect in the glass, or a sharp impact that can create a stress point, which is what I suspect happened to the majority of reportings of a shattered roof, some of which were undoubtedly tinted. And the gentleman's video validates that tinted glass actually decreases the internal temperature rather than causing it to rise. "I'm not going to look at it because it doesn't agree with what I think" was pretty much all I needed to know, and I was just going to pass it up as trolling. And I'm not telling anyone to tint their roof - I'm just pointing out that there is nothing historically or in the literature that validates a sunroof shattering because of tinting. Passing on as fact "because I say" or "I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy" with zero substantiation is not a service to the community. Thanks for calling it.
Appreciate 3
TechCTU766.00
volodp196.50
LeeInCT85.00
      06-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #24
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
He's on my Ignore list (and apologies for ranging so far afield from the topic of the OP's beautiful car - congrats!). A tempered sunroof is not going to shatter because of tinting - an opinion supported by every glass manufacturer and detailer out there, verified by a simple search. And lots of iX owners are going to want their sunroof tinted, because of the absence of a curtain - it cuts down on UV exposure and heat, even with the magical frosting. These posts shouldn't dissuade them from doing it.

And I'm not unacquainted with glass manufacturing or physics. BMW uses tempered glass in their sunroofs (other manufacturers sometimes use safety glass), and tempered glass is pretty durable stuff, designed to withstand both heat and impact fairly well. It's also designed to shatter into tiny, dull pieces if it does break, which is an excellent feature for overhead glass. It's heated to almost 1,200F in its manufacture, and is designed to withstand sharp temperature variations of up to 500F - what it doesn't tolerate very well is any manufacturing defect in the glass, or a sharp impact that can create a stress point, which is what I suspect happened to the majority of reportings of a shattered roof, some of which were undoubtedly tinted. And the gentleman's video validates that tinted glass actually decreases the internal temperature rather than causing it to rise. "I'm not going to look at it because it doesn't agree with what I think" was pretty much all I needed to know, and I was just going to pass it up as trolling. And I'm not telling anyone to tint their roof - I'm just pointing out that there is nothing historically or in the literature that validates a sunroof shattering because of tinting. Passing on as fact "because I say" or "I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy" with zero substantiation is not a service to the community. Thanks for calling it.
Would be interesting to know if in the treatment to make it cloudy by button makes the glass less stable then without it.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Would be interesting to know if in the treatment to make it cloudy by button makes the glass less stable then without it.
Not sure about the technology, but from what I understand there is a sandwiched layer with PDLC (Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal) in the middle - making it actually more like safety glass and even less prone to shatter, although BMW either switched or used tempered glass in their sunroofs from the beginning precisely because of the greater safety if it did shatter (safety glass can leave sharp splinters if it does detach from the center of the sandwich). It's also reportedly the largest glass roof BMW has ever installed - it will be interesting to see how effective and resistant this roof actually is when we get some universal road miles on the iX globally under all weather conditions (some early X5 owners were reporting a disproportionate amount of sunroof spontaneous breakage, which I believe was traced to actual manufacture lots).

The patent :

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2017135182A1/en

Last edited by Paladin1; 06-10-2022 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
TechCTU766.00
      06-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #26
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Beautiful car. Except the front. I would buy one next week if my family would ever get used to the front.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      06-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #27
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Beautiful car. Except the front. I would buy one next week if my family would ever get used to the front.
I've said this many times before and I'll say it again; it's surprisingly normal looking in person. You'd get used to it in a heartbeat. When you see it in photos or stylised review videos and advertisements, it can look a bit shocking or radical but in person, surrounded by other cars, it really doesn't look particularly out of the ordinary. Besides which, this is the way BMW is going. Just like with other style changes BMW have made over the years, this is the new norm going forward. You'll get used to it.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
      06-13-2022, 01:54 AM   #28
JBG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012X3 35i, 2018 X3 30i

I was quite surprised when my neighbor gushed about her love for the front end. The non-BMW folk seem to like it a lot. And I do as well! I am proudly old enough to remember the shock and horror felt by the 2002 aficionados in 1975 when the the "unworthy" 3 series was introduced. And the first 5-series was of course not a proper BMW in any way. The previously shunned 3-series drivers would not flash their lights at my 528i in 1979 -a "thing" back when BMW's were relatively rare. Just some unsolicited perspective.
1988 745i Executive (gray market) sold
1979 528i sold. 1985 733i sold
Appreciate 3
Paladin15556.00
PhilD165.50
mcl117.00
      06-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #29
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG View Post
I was quite surprised when my neighbor gushed about her love for the front end. The non-BMW folk seem to like it a lot. And I do as well! I am proudly old enough to remember the shock and horror felt by the 2002 aficionados in 1975 when the the "unworthy" 3 series was introduced. And the first 5-series was of course not a proper BMW in any way. The previously shunned 3-series drivers would not flash their lights at my 528i in 1979 -a "thing" back when BMW's were relatively rare. Just some unsolicited perspective.
That color looks absolutely gorgeous and the wheels look great!

Compared to your Tesla do you have any concerns about the difference in potential charging station access??

I'm assuming that you cannot use the supercharger network with your new car compared to a Tesla?

I never liked Teslas but I am considering the new iX - although I wondered about the availability of charging away from home in the event I went on a road trip with this thing
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #30
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBG View Post

Compared to your Tesla do you have any concerns about the difference in potential charging station access??

I'm assuming that you cannot use the supercharger network with your new car compared to a Tesla?

I never liked Teslas but I am considering the new iX - although I wondered about the availability of charging away from home in the event I went on a road trip with this thing
I've never had an issue with the two years in my e-tron but I suppose it depends on your area. I've been all through Idaho, Nevada, Utah, California. I've found there are even more 350kw CCS stops than Tesla supercharger stops, though they have more connectors per location (and a lot more people using them).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:23 PM   #31
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 02:16 AM   #32
IheartM
Rep
Drives: f90 '18

Ta-da! Team detailer domain rocks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      06-18-2022, 02:43 AM   #33
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Ooof that looks so good!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #34
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Stealth wrap looks great. Is the maintenance any different than the regular wrap? I’m also in northern NJ and was originally planning on just getting the front PPF’d through the A pillar for stone chips (choose the dark grey color) but would consider a full wrap as well (perhaps even the stealth). Do you mind sharing your cost and is stealth wrap more expensive (If you don’t want to post on here, can you direct message me?). Thanks! Have heard Retailer’s Domain does great work but haven’t used them and instead have historically used APC.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #35
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
Stealth wrap looks great. Is the maintenance any different than the regular wrap? I’m also in northern NJ and was originally planning on just getting the front PPF’d through the A pillar for stone chips (choose the dark grey color) but would consider a full wrap as well (perhaps even the stealth). Do you mind sharing your cost and is stealth wrap more expensive (If you don’t want to post on here, can you direct message me?). Thanks! Have heard Retailer’s Domain does great work but haven’t used them and instead have historically used APC.
+1. …. The stealth looks awesome on storm bay. Interested in the cost for this full wrap.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #36
IheartM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa201 View Post
There are a few authorized xpel rep by me but I drove 1.5hrs to Detailers Domain b/c they are that good. Give Phil a call, he is reasonable and sometimes it's not just about price..team is awesome. Imho, my ix turned out amazing.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #37
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Looks amazing! I wonder what a Sophisto Grey would look like with Stealth wrap?
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #38
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Did you consider applying the Stealth to the lower black glossy areas as well?
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #39
IheartM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Did you consider applying the Stealth to the lower black glossy areas as well?
I did but glad detailer domain talked me out of it. The entire team went against it. Great professionals.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 05:14 AM   #40
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartM View Post
Thanks for congrats

One more thing... I was pleasantly surprise w/the range.

BMW states 314miles on full charge...339miles I guess I shouldn't be too shock as my x5 45e also overpromise in BMW specs. (btw..almost 12k miles and am still rocking 90mpg b/c fortunate commute is 25 miles one way and free charging at work)

but but but

What was MOST surprising on IX, if driven on B mode (aggressive regen), it’s "theoretically" 370miles on full charge. I drove it normal, local roads 5-10 mph above speed limit and 10-15mph above on highway.

I was condition from my Telsa ownership experience in respect to real world driving in NJ, whatever it states on full charge, take 20-25% off during spring to fall and 30-35% off in the winter months.

The only thing I'll give leg up to Tesla is that its app can lower and increase cabin temp. other than that... as porky pig would say... "ah b ah b ah that's all folks."
I live roughly in your hood (central part of state). How are you finding charging network to be when you are away from home? Haven’t investigated it much. Have set up 40a at home charging but curious about when away from home experience
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #41
IheartM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Quote:
Thanks for congrats

One more thing... I was pleasantly surprise w/the range.

BMW states 314miles on full charge...339miles I guess I shouldn't be too shock as my x5 45e also overpromise in BMW specs. (btw..almost 12k miles and am still rocking 90mpg b/c fortunate commute is 25 miles one way and free charging at work)

but but but

What was MOST surprising on IX, if driven on B mode (aggressive regen), it’s "theoretically" 370miles on full charge. I drove it normal, local roads 5-10 mph above speed limit and 10-15mph above on highway.

I was condition from my Telsa ownership experience in respect to real world driving in NJ, whatever it states on full charge, take 20-25% off during spring to fall and 30-35% off in the winter months.

The only thing I'll give leg up to Tesla is that its app can lower and increase cabin temp. other than that... as porky pig would say... "ah b ah b ah that's all folks."
I live roughly in your hood (central part of state). How are you finding charging network to be when you are away from home? Haven’t investigated it much. Have set up 40a at home charging but curious about when away from home experience
I haven't plan anything long so not sure how that's going to look like. Not too worry though as there are plenty of electrify and chargepoint network. I've driven to Florida from NJ when Tesla supercharging network was in its infancy.

Morning 300 miles on the road equates to 4-5 hr driving.

Afternoon, find a supercharger, grab an hour lunch, another 300 miles or 4-5hrs driving.

Evening, hotel with level 2 charging, dinner, wakeup fully charged.

Wash, rinse, and repeat until you reach your destination.

Hope that helps.

I did stopped by Walmart in East Brunswick. Vehicle was charging at 195kwh.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #42
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

Quote:
I haven't plan anything long so not sure how that's going to look like. Not too worry though as there are plenty of electrify and chargepoint network. I've driven to Florida from NJ when Tesla supercharging network was in its infancy.

Morning 300 miles on the road equates to 4-5 hr driving.

Afternoon, find a supercharger, grab an hour lunch, another 300 miles or 4-5hrs driving.

Evening, hotel with level 2 charging, dinner, wakeup fully charged.

Wash, rinse, and repeat until you reach your destination.

Hope that helps.

I did stopped by Walmart in East Brunswick. Vehicle was charging at 195kwh.
Hi, I think you might know but the charging speed is indicated by the blue line in between 0 and 195 (in this case, maybe roughly 90kw/h since it’s halfway)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:24 PM   #43
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Picked mine up today!

Storm Bay wasn't what I originally had in mind when I placed my order but I have to say, it really looks something special. I've only driven it the 2 miles from the dealership so far but we're heading across London on Sunday to visit family so I'm looking forward to testing it out a bit more then.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      06-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #44
Greg Staten
Private
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Yeah, that does look brilliant! Out of curiosity, what interior did you mate with it?
Appreciate 0