BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

iX-es on Canadian BMW site: 2023 40s and 2022 50s

Configuration on Canadian BMW lets you do 2023 ixDrive40 and only 2022 ixDrive50. When is the year changing on 50-s? I remember few years back when I was following X5-s closely it was switching years somewhere Jul-Aug.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
GoElectric
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Volt

I believe July 1. The 2023 model year is about 10% more expensive. BMW continues to advertise the 2022 pricing but will not sell you a car at the advertised price.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoElectric View Post
I believe July 1. The 2023 model year is about 10% more expensive. BMW continues to advertise the 2022 pricing but will not sell you a car at the advertised price.
That is very poor and would be illegal in many countries. Someone should slap them if that is happening.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 07:35 PM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Quote:
That is very poor and would be illegal in many countries. Someone should slap them if that is happening.
They need to put up an "out of stock" sign on 2022s, like other stores do.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
GoElectric
Rep

Quote:
It's even worse than that. They have taken orders and deposits then come back (jn my case 8 months later) and said 'We're increasing the price...pay it or we'll sell the car to someone who will.'

The worst car buying experience I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
It's even worse than that. They have taken orders and deposits then come back (jn my case 8 months later) and said 'We're increasing the price...pay it or we'll sell the car to someone who will.'
The worst car buying experience I've ever had.
That's the same as most other manufacturers for reservation without a final sale contract.
When you made a deposit, you just reserved your place in the line. There was no promise of any pricing or lease rate or whatever. Everything is unknown until the car arrives, and nothing is firm until the sale contract is signed. I am not sure why you expected otherwise. Maybe they should have been more clear in the first place, but most people would have known. Your deposit is fully refundable, so it works both ways. If a sale contract is signed, your deposit would not be refundable.
Appreciate 1
LittleJoe1064.00
      06-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
That's the same as most other manufacturers for reservation without a final sale contract.
When you made a deposit, you just reserved your place in the line. There was no promise of any pricing or lease rate or whatever. Everything is unknown until the car arrives, and nothing is firm until the sale contract is signed. I am not sure why you expected otherwise. Maybe they should have been more clear in the first place, but most people would have known. Your deposit is fully refundable, so it works both ways. If a sale contract is signed, your deposit would not be refundable.
I think for many EV manufactures, they honor the price at the time of reservation. Also right now due to supply chain issue, sellers have upperhand, they can say "payup or leave".
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
I think for many EV manufactures, they honor the price at the time of reservation. Also right now due to supply chain issue, sellers have upperhand, they can say "payup or leave".
Not my experience though.
We are not talking about paying deposit for a car arriving in 2 to 3 months here, we are talking about at least a year or more waiting list. For example for Ioniq 5 reservation, some dealer would have you actually sign a vehicle purchase agreement despite refundable deposit. And on that agreement, they would add in "price and program subject to change".
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #9
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

I agree, putting your name down on a waiting list for a car that may or may not have pricing and an unknown delivery date is quite different. You should expect price variation and package changes over that time frame.

Advertising a car at a retail price in downloadable brochures and on the website knowing you can't supply at that price is not ok.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
GoElectric
Rep

Quote:
You are making an incorrect assumption. There was a deposit, a finalised order, a contract, and an expected delivery date. Changing the price months after that is not the way they should treat their customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:21 PM   #11
GoElectric
Rep

Quote:
I agree, putting your name down on a waiting list for a car that may or may not have pricing and an unknown delivery date is quite different. You should expect price variation and package changes over that time frame.

Advertising a car at a retail price in downloadable brochures and on the website knowing you can't supply at that price is not ok.
For the record I told them this 3 weeks ago but they have taken no action.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #12
machop
Private
Rep

Quote:
We are not talking about paying deposit for a car arriving in 2 to 3 months here, we are talking about at least a year or more waiting list. For example for Ioniq 5 reservation, some dealer would have you actually sign a vehicle purchase agreement despite refundable deposit. And on that agreement, they would add in "price and program subject to change".
I guess I should say pure EV.

Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #13
machop
Private
Rep

Bit off topic here, I think disruption Tesla caused in Auto industry is good thing for consumers. I love EV's acceleration!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #14
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are making an incorrect assumption. There was a deposit, a finalised order, a contract, and an expected delivery date. Changing the price months after that is not the way they should treat their customers.
So was there a clause in the fine print of the agreement that prices were subject to change? If the price was firm and you signed a vehicle purchase agreement, then you can make a case.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #15
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
The thing is, the car originally ordered is no longer available. The original order was probably for a '22 which are no longer built. It's now '23 models only. This is the conundrum I fell into with my UK order; the week my car was due to go into production, they switched to the '23 models. My previous configuration was not compatible with the new model build (as I had the B&W sound system) and so it was cancelled by BMW. They told my dealer that I would need to place a new order. That order would have been for a '23 and would have an expected delivery date of December (my original one was due this week) and it would follow the '23 model pricing structure and build configurations. It was going to cost me more for basically the same car *minus B&W* and I would have got my car 5-6 months later. It didn't matter that I already had a contract for a car of a certain spec; that car could no longer be built.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #16
GoElectric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
The thing is, the car originally ordered is no longer available. The original order was probably for a '22 which are no longer built. It's now '23 models only. This is the conundrum I fell into with my UK order; the week my car was due to go into production, they switched to the '23 models. My previous configuration was not compatible with the new model build (as I had the B&W sound system) and so it was cancelled by BMW. They told my dealer that I would need to place a new order. That order would have been for a '23 and would have an expected delivery date of December (my original one was due this week) and it would follow the '23 model pricing structure and build configurations. It was going to cost me more for basically the same car *minus B&W* and I would have got my car 5-6 months later. It didn't matter that I already had a contract for a car of a certain spec; that car could no longer be built.
That's the situation. They shut down 2022 production without completing the orders they accepted. The contract allows them to cancel. Then they offer to take a new order at an increased price. A screw job.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #17
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
That's the situation. They shut down 2022 production without completing the orders they accepted. The contract allows them to cancel. Then they offer to take a new order at an increased price. A screw job.
Yeah, it really sucks. Although I imagine high demand, increased costs due to inflation and increased difficulty in production and raw materials due to the war in Ukraine have all factored in to the higher price.

Luckily for me, I managed to switch to a dealer specced car that had already been built and was on it's way. It had a few added options that I didn't originally want but it still had the '22 pricing and my dealer transferred my original finance agreement over (better rates). I was unlucky in that my order was one of the first to be affected by this (had my car been built a week earlier, it would have gone through fine) but I was lucky that there were still dealer stock models coming in that I could transfer to and that were specced in a way I'd be happy with.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:28 PM   #18
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by machop View Post
Quote:
I guess I should say pure EV.

Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc.
My buddy still has no idea how much his Cybertruck is going to cost, even though he has a deposit.

When I ordered a Polestar 2, I put down a deposit with no final price. Then when it came down to the point where they were manufacturing it, they sent me a link to finalize the order with whatever packages were current.

Rivian I think made a huge mistake in quoting prices for cars they weren't remotely ready to produce. I don't think pricing was necessary at the time to drive preorders, or they could have just given broad estimates. The result was a huge backlash when they attempted to raise prices later, and being pushed to honor their preorder pricing.

I agree that if someone puts down money for a '22 and gets all of the options officially entered into the system, gets a price, gets a VIN, etc. then the price shouldn't change just because they didn't deliver it on time. That's nonsense.

However, for people (like me) who just have a slot in line and they don't know ultimately if that's going to be a '22, '23, or '24 model, I think it's fine if the packages change between model years and you get what they're offering at the time or cancel. I don't think someone is automatically entitled to pay '22 pricing on a '23 model just because they put down a deposit when (or before)the '22s were still being produced. It's just a spot in line and you get what's available when your turn comes up.
Appreciate 0