BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

BMW iX vs Cadillac Lyriq

Is anyone shopping the new Lyriq over the iX? If I didn't need a new care now I would give it some serious thought. The price difference is pretty substantial.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Is anyone shopping the new Lyriq over the iX? If I didn't need a new care now I would give it some serious thought. The price difference is pretty substantial.
I would imagine not ... vehicles are in 2 different classes (atleast in my mind) ... as much as GM wishes it competes with BMW & MB, it doesn't
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Not exactly but sort of. My first choice to replace my BMW 530e is a Lucid Air Pure. I did a test drive on the IX and I really like the way it drives and operates.

BUT (isn't there always a but) it is too damn ugly for me. The other day I walked off the golf course will my golf partner (who also is a long time BMW owner) and there was an IX parked immediately in front of me facing me. We both reacted the same: "oh my god that is butt ugly".

So I reluctantly put down a deposit on a Lyriq AWD to backup my Lucid (Specs on the Lyriq AWD are pretty similar to those of the IX 50). If the IX weren't so ugly, I would have put down a deposit on it instead. But I can't make myself pay >=$100K for a car that is so ugly.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Not exactly but sort of. My first choice to replace my BMW 530e is a Lucid Air Pure. I did a test drive on the IX and I really like the way it drives and operates.

BUT (isn't there always a but) it is too damn ugly for me. The other day I walked off the golf course will my golf partner (who also is a long time BMW owner) and there was an IX parked immediately in front of me facing me. We both reacted the same: "oh my god that is butt ugly".

So I reluctantly put down a deposit on a Lyriq AWD to backup my Lucid (Specs on the Lyriq AWD are pretty similar to those of the IX 50). If the IX weren't so ugly, I would have put down a deposit on it instead. But I can't make myself pay >=$100K for a car that is so ugly.
I felt the same at first, but the color definitely enhances or improves the "ugly" factor. Also, the rear is the ugly part for me, I have grown to like the rest of the vehicle. I'm sure it will grow on me once more of the BMW lineup model refreshed come out, ie 7 series, 5 series, X5, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #5
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 Black Saphire

I have preordered Lyriq AWD as a well, it was $100 refundable deposit , so absolutely nothing to loose, but first of all GM need to deliver them, it is not clear when AWD version will really be out, also there is not details yet on range penalty for AWD version. That it is also only 2 interior color choices, boring exterior colors and just one package of options. So we will definitely need to see/touch in in real life to understand if it will live up to what they claim
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 01:39 AM   #6
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I am not sure of the reviews lyriq is getting but if reviews are good and if one can wait till the AWD version comes out then it might be a good alternative to consider to IX.

Not sure whether it will get the same range as IX in AWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 06:05 AM   #7
machop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

the door design(how to open) on lyriq is very "unique". It's a hrad pass for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingCaptain View Post
I am not sure of the reviews lyriq is getting but if reviews are good and if one can wait till the AWD version comes out then it might be a good alternative to consider to IX.

Not sure whether it will get the same range as IX in AWD.
Be careful of so-called "reviews". Unless the reviewer has purchased the vehicle, they are beholden to GM, BMW and others to continue receiving test cars. As such, they cannot focus on anything negative or they will never get another test car from that manufacturer.

The Lyriq is blingy and gaudy. Based on their advertising they are targeting a specific demographic.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
Greg Staten
Private
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

My biggest problem with Cadillac is that they never pay attention to the little details and often use standard GM parts where an upgrade should be used instead. A classic example is the vent adjustments. They use the same ones with the hard plastic and "smooth-ish" motion as used in GM vehicles. Similar all over the car. Hard plastic in places where a luxury car should be softer.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:42 AM   #10
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I think the Rivian R1S is more of a direct competitor to the iX than the Lyriq. Possibly the Polestar 3 when more info is released on that. I think of the Cadillac as more of a mainstream option, against the Mustang Mach E for example. That said, the Lyriq seems pretty promising for the price point.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:15 AM   #11
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Staten View Post
My biggest problem with Cadillac is that they never pay attention to the little details and often use standard GM parts where an upgrade should be used instead. A classic example is the vent adjustments. They use the same ones with the hard plastic and "smooth-ish" motion as used in GM vehicles. Similar all over the car. Hard plastic in places where a luxury car should be softer.
They do have Supercruise though. BMW should have "highway assist" on the iX.
Appreciate 1
Xyz$12341.00
      06-30-2022, 09:26 AM   #12
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

Funny you say that - when I saw the Lyriq at a carshow I thought it looked even worse than in photos. One of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen. On the other hand I had a black iX at my place for a test drive and everyone on the street was commenting on how great it looked.

Beauty is definitley in the eye of the beholder.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Staten View Post
Apparently not.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
deutsch1003945.00
      06-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #14
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

This review seems pretty objective, raises good points on availability and delivery timelines:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...th-waiting-for
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
This review seems pretty objective, raises good points on availability and delivery timelines:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...th-waiting-for
The good news, for me, is that with my GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance I am essentially covered until the end of 2024 and my 2018 530e is loaded so I can comfortably wait until 2023 or 2024 to replace it. So I can wait for a Lucid Air Pure (my first choice) or a Lyriq AWD (my current backup choice) or anything else that may come out during this time frame.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #16
Greg Staten
Private
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Apparently not.
About time. That's great news.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #17
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

Yeah, looks are subjective. The interior has more going on in lyriq which is good, but IX interior is way more good looking even though it’s minimalistic.

Exterior looks good too. Oddly I dont like the extended rear part but lights are funky. I always liked the IX look too.

As mentioned I think AWD will start deliveries end of next year. So it will be a good alternative to IX. Polestar 3 will hit at the same time.

Maybe if I was buying car in jan 2024 then polestar 3 > bmw ix ~ lyriq AWD (range will be a factor)

But currently IX > lyriq RWD

Though I still think that IX will face the most competition from upcoming Audi etron suv refresh.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, looks are subjective. The interior has more going on in lyriq which is good, but IX interior is way more good looking even though it’s minimalistic.

Exterior looks good too. Oddly I dont like the extended rear part but lights are funky. I always liked the IX look too.

As mentioned I think AWD will start deliveries end of next year. So it will be a good alternative to IX. Polestar 3 will hit at the same time.

Maybe if I was buying car in jan 2024 then polestar 3 > bmw ix ~ lyriq AWD (range will be a factor)

But currently IX > lyriq RWD

Though I still think that IX will face the most competition from upcoming Audi etron suv refresh.
Almost certainly....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #19
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
And the EQE SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #20
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
And the EQE SUV.
EQE will be considerably smaller (and likely unavailable until well after 2024), and EQS will be $20k-30k+ more. I suspect Audi will hit the sweet spot, although more expensive models like Polestar and Lucid, along with MB offerings will be cross-shopped for sure. Likely not Rivian, Range Rover or Tesla though - different demographic. Exotics like Lamborghini and Maserati the same, and Jaguar is over three years out, and not aging well. More choices, but still a limited audience.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #21
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

The Lyriq is interesting but feels rushed. Only synthetic leather, no AWD at launch, earliest AWD models gets a gimped onboard charger. What it has going for it is the price point + range + crossover makes it very competitive to what is out there.

I do like the cup holders and wireless phone charger locations on the center console of the Lyriq though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:37 PM   #22
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grueber View Post
The Lyriq is interesting but feels rushed. Only synthetic leather, no AWD at launch, earliest AWD models gets a gimped onboard charger. What it has going for it is the price point + range + crossover makes it very competitive to what is out there.

I do like the cup holders and wireless phone charger locations on the center console of the Lyriq though.
Also no HUD or air suspension....
Appreciate 0