07-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #23
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Also no HUD or air suspension....
Well, at $25,000 less than a BMW iX I think you don't expect those things.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

Quote:
Also no HUD or air suspension....
From the YT reviews I've seen (all from Park City with preproduction models) the ride seems to be good compared to EVs in the same price range. I would hope it's a lot better than the Tesla Y which is like riding on a park bench. The Lyriq is also missing rear wheel steering.

If GM charged $20k more to bring it into the same price range as the IX who knows?
Appreciate 1
Paladin15549.50
      07-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #25
djse60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50 Sport

Quote:
Apparently not.

Far more physical buttons in the lyric vs iX. Where as most iX buttons are in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #26
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

After watching that Lyriq review video... interior already looks dated - bulky cheap looking buttons, no luxury or revolutionary electric car feel - just your typical GM. One thing I REALLY like though - steering wheel paddle to manage recuperation... I use those gear shifters on my X5 a lot to manage how vehicle slows down in various situations and like coasting downhill a lot putting it in ECO PRO mode, so this would be such a great option for me!

Last edited by AustinV; 07-02-2022 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #27
bigshaft
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
After watching that Lyriq review video... interior already looks dated - bulky cheap looking buttons, no luxury or revolutionary electric car feel - just your typical GM. One thing I REALLY like though - steering wheel paddle to manage recuperation... I use those gear shifters on my X5 a lot to manage how vehicle slows down in various situations and like coasting downhill a lot putting it in ECO PRO mode, so this would be such a great option for me!
I am cross shopping the iX and the Lyriq.

FYI all the buttons and switch gear in the Lyriq are brand new and was built specifically for Cadillac and isn't shared with any GM car. Reviews have generally praised the interior quality and switch gear.

Jalopnik: " The Lyriq’s interior is second to none when it comes to Cadillacs, and it might be the best interior on any car under $100,000. Forget any GM product you’re familiar with. The Lyriq’s interior is world-class."

Car and Driver: "The finish inside is elaborate with a combination of open-pore wood, laser-cut metallic overlays, and backlighting. The knobs that control the HVAC vents have Genesis-style knurling."

And IMO the screen on the Lyriq is so much better than basically every other competing option. The Lyriq actually uses a single curved 33 inch 1 billion+ pixel display instead of the cheaper 2 displays glued together option you see in everything from the iX, Ioniq5, EV6 and various Mercedes. It is also running Google's Automotive OS with integrated google maps, services, assistant and looks much more modern than my experience with iDrive8 so far.

I suspect the iX cabin will overall be more premium than the Lyriq especially over less commonly touched surfaces (dash, lower door panels, etc.). The Lyriq also doesn't seem to have any options for dynamic suspension (air or magnetic ride). It was originally supposed to have an augmented reality HUD but it looks like that got pushed back to next year along with the rear climate controls feature.
https://electrek.co/2020/10/19/gm-ca...ad-up-display/

IMO the Lyriq looks like a very strong value but I would only consider the 500 hp + AWD model with the HUD and rear climate control which probably won't be available until next Spring. I think the iX fully optioned will be the more premium option but it starts to become a question of how much additional satisfaction the iX can deliver for the significantly higher cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:16 PM   #28
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

First Drive Review from 1/2 of Savagegeese (only Jack)

I'm honestly very impressed. When GM puts effort in they usually succeed in making a good product (Blackwings, C8, Hummer, etc.). GM is a brand that can make excellent and both s*** cars, but I believe the Lyriq is easily an example of the former. I love the screen design, the bespoke interior switchgear and controls, and the distinctive exterior design. Only improvements needed in my opinion is more customizability, I know GM can make a car with more than two interior choices and four exterior colors. Hopefully they'll add more options, but I believe this is a win for Cadillac.
      07-05-2022, 10:18 PM   #29
bigshaft
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
First Drive Review from 1/2 of Savagegeese (only Jack)

I'm honestly very impressed. When GM puts effort in they usually succeed in making a good product (Blackwings, C8, Hummer, etc.). GM is a brand that can make excellent and both s*** cars, but I believe the Lyriq is easily an example of the former. I love the screen design, the bespoke interior switchgear and controls, and the distinctive exterior design. Only improvements needed in my opinion is more customizability, I know GM can make a car with more than two interior choices and four exterior colors. Hopefully they'll add more options, but I believe this is a win for Cadillac.
The lack of customizability and packages seems to be a result of them pulling the car forward by 9 months to get this out on the market. Probably best to avoid the first model year anyway since by next year they should have different colors, and should add back the HUD, rear climate control and other features they had to cut to ship this early. Even the SW is unfinished, SuperCruise is coming in an OTA update later this year and the top down view camera isn't even implemented yet.

It is disappointing that Jack found the audio system to be a very weak performer and GM randomly put a cheap feeling regen braking paddle behind the steering wheel. Hopefully there aren't too many of these random cheap pieces in an otherwise very nice cabin.

Overall still super impressed and hopefully this is a sign of things to come from GM/Cadillac.
Appreciate 0