08-24-2023, 12:51 PM   #265
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Every tank of gas based on their recommendations.

Stabil Marine only takes 1 oz to treat 10 gallons, so it's somewhat cost effective since you only need to use 1.5oz to treat a full tank.
Was reading that...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:56 PM   #266
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Every tank of gas based on their recommendations.

Stabil Marine only takes 1 oz to treat 10 gallons, so it's somewhat cost effective since you only need to use 1.5oz to treat a full tank.
Since this is an ethanol treatment, it will not extend the OCI or plug life will it?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #267
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
As in the above message, Audi and VW say this is not the case. Other manufacturers have avoided DI in the U.S. due to the garbage quality of gasoline we have here.

Do an oil analysis of your own oil and tell me it's 0% gasoline contamination. Gasoline contamination contributes to oil vapor in the crankcase, directly affecting valve stem deposits.

Shawn
VWUSA is making stuff up because they for years opted to not sell US cars with the dual PFI/DI injection system that is used in the European market.

Top tier gas has nothing to do with fuel solution nor will it prevent IVD. Choice of oil and the PCV have an impact.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #268
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
VWUSA is making stuff up because they for years opted to not sell US cars with the dual PFI/DI injection system that is used in the European market.

Top tier gas has nothing to do with fuel solution nor will it prevent IVD. Choice of oil and the PCV have an impact.
Yes, plus is you get the oil up to operating temp on >60% of your drives IVD is not going to be much of a problem. Also drive it like you stole it helps too!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:05 PM   #269
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

While there is not a vapor collection system, the valve covers do have baffles leading to the hoses that go to the turbo inlet pipes. The baffles supposedly do a pretty good job trapping oil. My 08 535xi had DI but a different vent system with PCV valves and the amount of goo in the intake ports at 90k miles was surprising — they were about 1/4 blocked. It looks like it would be an engine out job to clean the intake ports on an F90.

I have been running water/meth injection for a couple of years on my F90. It goes through the intake manifolds and supposedly helps reduce carbon build up.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #270
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I for all that matters will not fuel at shell or BP and use other top tier fuel stations. Even at 30-40c per gallon I’d rather save it and have a good whisky for those savings rather than give it away for the one of the most taxed product sold in the states. It’s not money thing. It’s ideological
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:52 PM   #271
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Since this is an ethanol treatment, it will not extend the OCI or plug life will it?
No, it is just fuel system maintenance.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 03:11 PM   #272
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
While there is not a vapor collection system, the valve covers do have baffles leading to the hoses that go to the turbo inlet pipes. The baffles supposedly do a pretty good job trapping oil. My 08 535xi had DI but a different vent system with PCV valves and the amount of goo in the intake ports at 90k miles was surprising — they were about 1/4 blocked. It looks like it would be an engine out job to clean the intake ports on an F90.

I have been running water/meth injection for a couple of years on my F90. It goes through the intake manifolds and supposedly helps reduce carbon build up.
Yep. BMW really did learn their lesson from the severe buildup with the N54.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #273
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

As Shawn pointed out, some car makers are now adding port injection to DI systems to reduce carbon buildup.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      08-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #274
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:

I'm not sure I buy that. You can if you want. That's up to you.

Your proposal that choice of oil is relevant while ignoring that significant gasoline contamination occurs frequently but top tier gas has "nothing to do with fuel solution" seems nonsensical to me. And NOTHING can prevent intake valve deposits. They can be minimized, but not prevented.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #275
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I'm not sure I buy that. You can if you want. That's up to you.

Your proposal that choice of oil is relevant while ignoring that significant gasoline contamination occurs frequently but top tier gas has "nothing to do with fuel solution" seems nonsensical to me. And NOTHING can prevent intake valve deposits. They can be minimized, but not prevented.

Shawn
It was a typo. I meant to type "fuel dilution" rather than "fuel solution". In any case the purpose behind top tier fuel is to keep injector tips clean. They're incredibly hot in the combustion chamber and at shut down the fuel at the tips will carbonize. Clean tips minimize the change for poor spray pattern. Poor spray pattern can result in high levels of fuel dilution. Make sense? TT fuel has no cleaning effect via the crankcase. It's simply not possible.

As for my oil comment. All else being equal using high SAPS oils (LL01, LL01fe) can result in more IVD compared to Low SAPs (LL04, LL17fe).

The 20w oil used by BMW in the US is low SAPS (ACEA C5) but that wasn't always the case with previous gen TGDI engines.

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #276
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
It was a typo. I meant to type "fuel dilution" rather than "fuel solution". In any case the purpose behind top tier fuel is to keep injector tips clean. They're incredibly hot in the combustion chamber and at shut down the fuel at the tips will carbonize. Clean tips minimize the change for poor spray pattern. Poor spray pattern can result in high levels of fuel dilution. Make sense? TT fuel has no cleaning effect via the crankcase. It's simply not possible.

As for my oil comment. All else being equal using high SAPS oils (LL01, LL01fe) can result in more IVD compared to Low SAPs (LL04, LL17fe).

The 20w oil used by BMW in the US is low SAPS (ACEA C5) but that wasn't always the case with previous gen TGDI engines.
Hmmm. Maybe you're misunderstanding me. I'm not per se suggesting that TT gas can actually CLEAN the valves, but there is at least suggestions from some authorities that high quality gasoline can help AVOID rapid deposition of deposits. Not the same, but same result. Low quality high volatility gas gets into the oil past the rings and then ends up as a volatile gas in the crankcase that can burn on a hot valve stem.

As far as SAPS go, now you're talking. High quality uniform carbon chain oil can be less volatile and not end up as oil vapor burning on valve stems. But that's not the ONLY cause of deposits. It has to be more complex than that.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #277
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Lol all this ... The DI flaw in design is those dry valves. Ok, but the trade off is better combustion and power. I've considered Meth as a relief to keep those valves wet(ish) and possibly extend maintenance life. Also, I only see one mention of anyone using system or Injector cleaning agents separately. Interesting... Lol too about those penny pinching gas prices while driving a sports car. I'm sure they're not going to drop a $12 can of fuel system therapy in a tank, or every other tank, or every oil change (2-3000 miles). Lol

All of this, remember the RULES!

You gotta PAY to Play!

PICK YOUR POISON...

CHEAP/FAST/RELIABLE

Fast isn't cheap, nor reliable...
Reliable isn't cheap or fast...
Cheap isn't fast or reliable...

If you're cheap, you get the worst deal! If you spend on fast, you can affect reliability, to an extent. You want it to work forever, well that's just boring! Lol

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 11:43 PM   #278
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Use tier 1 gasoline and if only DI, walnut blast intake valves every 30K miles, no big deal. Italian tune ups whenever possible.