BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Boston recommendations?

I’m off to Boston with my wife in August, we’ve got 3 nights and 4 days. Having never been before (done NY a dozen times), I need some recommendations!

Which hotel - needs to be central, have a really good bar, ideally a pool/ spa. Not worried about cost, within reason.

Where to visit during the day - we like walking, so want to take in the main sights/ things to do.

Where to visit at night - bars with music/ theatres/ any other must see stuff?

And most importantly, where to eat! We love steak, seafood, American food in general. Again, not worried about cost, within reason, so where does the best food? We’ll be fairly casual, so don’t recommend anywhere dressy!

Over to you guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I’ve been to Boston once back in 1994. Two weeks before the baseball strike, I went to Fenway Park and coming from a Yankees fan, I love every moment I was there. IIRC I stayed in the Revere area which is by the beaches.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dont get stabbed
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      04-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The Copley Marriott is connected to several huge malls, so you can walk for hours without setting foot outside. There are some cool places within very close walking distance as well. It has a decent sports bar/restaurant.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...-copley-place/

Here are some pics I took last time I was there. Views from my room and from walking around the area. There are a couple of other nice hotels (Westin) connected to the same malls, so you don't have to stay at the Marriott specifically. But having all that shopping at your feet comes in handy on a rainy day. Do a Google Image search on Copley Place and you'll see what I mean.

http://randomography.com/?p=1718

On the other side of Boston Common over on the waterfront is the Boston Harbor Hotel. Very nice place and lots to see there as well. Quincy Market, the aquarium, the North End, all within walking distance. Plus harbor cruises and whale watching tours.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 04-30-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Hotel: Marriott Long Wharf. Located right at the edge of Boston Harbor, within walking distance to the North End (Italian restaurants) and Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. Centrally located to many good restaurants and bars. Also close to the Freedom Trail, which is a walking tour of historical sites right in the heart of Boston.

Steak restaurant: Abe & Louie’s on Boylston Street (Back Bay Area).

Sights: Well, if you’re a fan of baseball, catch a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Take a ride on the Boston Duck Boats. Usually decent exhibits at Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Why not take a charter/tour bus down to the Cape, or a ferry ride to either Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket. If shopping is your thing, plenty of stores on Newbury Street, and Prudential/Copley mall is close by.

I use to live in Boston, now live in the suburbs, so feel free to PM me with any questions.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410957.50
      04-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

keep your concealed carry home. oh wait, never mind
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

If you'll be there at the beginning of August, there's this:

https://www.bostonusa.com/event/bost...al-2019/42194/

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

We were in Boston about 4 years ago, absolute love the city!

We stayed out at the Westin, about 10 minute walk into the city. Plenty of restaurants down on the harbour there.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

The original Legal Seafood Restaurant, USS Constitution( Old Ironsides), Fenway( boo the Sox). A lot of cool Revolutionary War places to see there, Cape Cod, whale watching, duck boat. Have fun.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Wahlbargas ya aashoe
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #11
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

My favorite town in the whole world. Get lunch or hear a band at the Black Rose on State Street. https://www.blackroseboston.com/
Get lost on the Freedom Trail. Boston Common, I'd do a picnic. If you like the woods, go to Walden pond in Concord, Massachusetts. If you like the water go to Salem on the North Shore. Great Italian food in the north End of Boston. Crank up some Bostones music. They can cook.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #12
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

The Freedom trail including a visit to the USS Constitution,Bunker Hill and perhaps a read of the book (I think this is the title) "Six Frigates) about the birth of the American Navy. Next-Lexington and then Concord where we started fighting back;Some of the Churches and burial grounds (old grannery), a tour of the islands in Boston harbor and then the North Shore including trips on 127 north and beaches is worthwhile.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      04-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #13
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

I also vote for staying on the waterfront either Marriott long warf or Boston harbor hotel due to proximity for activities, sights and history.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

As a Sailor on a Frigate and a military history buff I'll be loading Six Frigates on my kindle tomorrow, thanks for the tip.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:48 AM   #15
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, will take a look
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
makizoo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

If you are into the craft beer scene, then Trillium Fort Point in the seaport district is a good stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by makizoo View Post
If you are into the craft beer scene, then Trillium Fort Point in the seaport district is a good stop.
Good idea. And, while not a craft beer, would also check out the Sam Adams Brewery. Think it’s located somewhere around Seaport too....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

As N54Yankee said, take a Duck Boat ride. They are kinda corny and stereotypical tourist but it's such a great way to see the city and you get a ton of cool history and little insights you'd never otherwise know. My wife and I lived in the Boston area for 7 years and did a Duck tour on about year 5. We learned a ton and had a blast, despite already being very familiar with the city.

There's a restaurant in Back Bay called Coda which is excellent. One of our favorites for low-key but excellent food and drinks.

Also, of course, you have to check out the North End and get some Italian food. Grab some treats at Modern Pastry on Hanover St. while you are in the neighborhood.

If you can figure out how to fit in a Sox game at Fenway, it's 1,000% worth it, even if you are not a baseball fan. The energy in that stadium is unreal.

The city is very compact and walkable but take time to ride the T for a few stops, just to experience it. The greenline from Park out a couple stops is good enough to give you the experience.

Oh, and Hennessy's pub across from Faneuil Hall used to be great for $10 lobster specials. Not sure if they still have it but worth a try on a walk from the Commons to the North End as it's right on the way.

Most of all, have fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
As N54Yankee said, take a Duck Boat ride. They are kinda corny and stereotypical tourist but it's such a great way to see the city and you get a ton of cool history and little insights you'd never otherwise know. My wife and I lived in the Boston area for 7 years and did a Duck tour on about year 5. We learned a ton and had a blast, despite already being very familiar with the city.

There's a restaurant in Back Bay called Coda which is excellent. One of our favorites for low-key but excellent food and drinks.

Also, of course, you have to check out the North End and get some Italian food. Grab some treats at Modern Pastry on Hanover St. while you are in the neighborhood.

If you can figure out how to fit in a Sox game at Fenway, it's 1,000% worth it, even if you are not a baseball fan. The energy in that stadium is unreal.

The city is very compact and walkable but take time to ride the T for a few stops, just to experience it. The greenline from Park out a couple stops is good enough to give you the experience.

Oh, and Hennessy's pub across from Faneuil Hall used to be great for $10 lobster specials. Not sure if they still have it but worth a try on a walk from the Commons to the North End as it's right on the way.

Most of all, have fun!
Some great recommendations, thanks

I’ve now booked the Fairmont in Copley, as we wanted somewhere close to the action in the evenings. Walking during the day is fine, so a short stagger to the hotel after eating and drinking all evening makes sense!
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11456.00
M_Six16805.50
      05-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post

I’ve now booked the Fairmont in Copley, as we wanted somewhere close to the action in the evenings. Walking during the day is fine, so a short stagger to the hotel after eating and drinking all evening makes sense!
Nice! It's an old place with tons of charm, but some of the rooms are TINY by modern standards. Just be prepared for that. You're 2 blocks from Newbury st. which is great for shopping if you and/or your wife are into that. Luke's Lobster off Boylston is just a few blocks away and worth a stop for a lobster roll. Thai Basil is a great little underground hole in the wall 1/2 way down Newbury. Great for a quick lunch.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Is Cafe Budapest still open? If so go there.
The Four Seasons over looking the park was very nice.
It has been several years and wives since I have been there...

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post

Nice. And since you're right there, the Boston Public Library is worth a walk-through. Pretty cool building.
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0