BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
perj42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1994 840ci

Drivetrain malfunction / please help!

Hi guys,
I really can use your help, hopefully someone knows what’s causing this. I have a 2016 with 27k i8, (manufacture end of 2015 if I am not mistaken )yesterday I was doing a normal drive to the gym,got off highway was at red light, green light started hitting gas then heard something bad, then engine shifted out of 1st gear into what seems neutral, wouldn’t get back into gear. So I turned it off and turned it back on in the middle of the street and it seemed to work again, for about 10 seconds lol … same thing over and over, (not the same loud noise but the car going into neutral in the middle of driving ) So I pulled off into a parking lot. I waited 30 min and turned on the car again, put it into reverse and the car started reving on its own so I just called it quits.

Drivetrain malfunction light turned on,
At one point the brake regen failure light turned on,
The dash would mostly turn off and a light saying something about engine on and off button disabled or something? Don’t recall exactly right now unfortunately. But I connected my Bluetooth with bimmerlink and got the following codes

(Coding: control unit is not coded)

(Ignition on: startability endangered)

8040b9
(Deactivation of terminal 30b: OSFG reached)

8040BB
Kl30B active. Start capability limit reached or kl. 30B active for a long time.

8040bd
Terminal 30F reset or shutdown

8041b2
Light active: start capability limit reached

Worst part is my indy is out of commission for the next 6 weeks due to a surgery, (I really hope all goes well with his surgery, best guy ever, very honest and friendly hardworking family man! )

Anyways if anyone has a solution for me please let me know or if there’s a good Indy location in San Diego, that would be nice too.
Appreciate 0