BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Yep, the car itself was great for a vast majority of the 5k miles I put on it, the issues were rare and I would have addressed them at the dealership had I owned it longer. Most of it was weird stuff I would expect from the first year or so of production. It had WAY fewer issues than previous, first run BMWs I've owned. 15 years ago when my family bought one of the first X5s in the country, it was constantly in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #24
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

AAArgh,I hate to hear about these problems.

My car is coming from April production. BMW updates the factory lines I believe in April and August. Is that true for the i8 also, anyone have info?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #25
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Kip - got a 2014 build and it has been a solid car, no quirks so far - hope I didn't jinx myself now! Pics when you get it.....good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #26
gadgetfreaky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

2015, I believe one of the first since I got comfort access. it's very well built. .no issues
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #27
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Kip - got a 2014 build and it has been a solid car, no quirks so far - hope I didn't jinx myself now! Pics when you get it.....good luck and enjoy!
Definitely!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #28
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I don't have many pictures of the crowds it drew doing simple things like picking up dinner or getting gas, but here's a 400+ car Cars&Coffee. This is right as I pull in, it got worse through the course of the day.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #29
mystopolis
Spectre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw i8 white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I don't have many pictures of the crowds it drew doing simple things like picking up dinner or getting gas, but here's a 400+ car Cars&Coffee. This is right as I pull in, it got worse through the course of the day.
great images...you should change your title on here from lieutenant to Mr. Popular haha
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

You should have kept those doors shut, that's all.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #31
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
They are about to surpass a years worth of M6 sales in only 6 months of i8 sales...and that's before they get around to doubling production.

http://insideevs.com/bmw-may-increas...iting-periods/

Chalk that up as another reason. They started by introducing the i8 as a limited production halo car and talking it up as such, but when the demand materialized and didn't dissipate they knew they had a hit on their hands and decided to sell as many as they could make.

Again, it's a great car...but it could be a lot better with some minor improvements and additions.
Ah I see so they basically just want more money lol. I still think it will be a rare car to see even if production has doubled, im surprised that people can afford a 100k+ car so easily..

im guessing the new Hotter fast i8S or the M car that will arrive in future will be the more "exclusive model"
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #32
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
Ah I see so they basically just want more money lol. I still think it will be a rare car to see even if production has doubled, im surprised that people can afford a 100k+ car so easily..

im guessing the new Hotter fast i8S or the M car that will arrive in future will be the more "exclusive model"
First, I don't understand the whole "exclusive" thing. I am guessing even at the price it is BMW is NOT making a lot (if any) money of the i8.

Second, when did they ever market this as an "exclusive" car? I am missing it. It is a technology showcase/halo car.

Third, production increase that eventually people ONLY have to wait six months.

And I am probably one of the very few people here who this if there is an i8s/i8M that it will actually be NOT as interesting as the i8. I mean there are a ton of faster/sportier cars out there. And its all about trade-offs. I could put on bigger stickier tires on the front to handle better, but my efficiency and ride will probably suffer. And a bigger engine in the back is heavier, so is a bigger battery/motor, and noisier, etc etc.

Then again, I don't want an M car nor do I want a Porsche, or a Lambo, or a Ferrari, so I guess I am just "crazy..."
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #33
Big Fred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i and i8

Don't say "crazy." BMW used that word in a commercial and the libs demanded it be pulled.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #34
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fred View Post
Don't say "crazy." BMW used that word in a commercial and the libs demanded it be pulled.
Hey now! I am a BIG lib and I am crazy. And I don't think its a bad word...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #35
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fred View Post
Please.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #36
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
First, I don't understand the whole "exclusive" thing. I am guessing even at the price it is BMW is NOT making a lot (if any) money of the i8.

Second, when did they ever market this as an "exclusive" car? I am missing it. It is a technology showcase/halo car.

Third, production increase that eventually people ONLY have to wait six months.
I didn't understand the "exclusive" thing for a while either, until it became apparent that we're living in a golden age of sports cars. More exclusive just means lower supply to meet the high demand. It means higher residuals and (assuming you're able to buy for sticker like I did) it means the car is going to be a better "deal" than it would have been otherwise with depreciation when you turn around and sell it to experience another one of the great cars coming out these days. For me, I couldn't care less about the exclusiveness from an image perspective, but from a financial point of view, I do. Who doesn't want to lose less money on a car purchase than they need to?

I was looking forward running the i8 for a couple years with year+ wait lists. Which, I admit, sucks if you're on that list, but it gives you a ton of options if you aren't. It means you can enjoy the car, sell it for close to what you paid in a year or two, and move on. If you plan on keeping the car forever, like I plan to do with my SLS, that's a moot point but if your car is a temporary addition, as the i8 was always going to be, then you get out when you can. I enjoyed the car about as much as I could and still be able to get out near break even. That's going to be harder to do in the near future if you ask me. Especially with increased production, new features that should have been there all along being added, running updates to hardware, etc.

Like I said, it's not exclusivity for the sake of ego, image, or any of that narcissistic garbage, it's purely a business thing. Again, maybe I'll be back near the end or when the other variations show up, but from a financial perspective, it felt like there would never be a better time to get out...also, I was REALLY expecting the back seat buckets to be a little bigger, like at least CLK sized where adults could ride for short period. But an adult would exit the car with chiropractic problems traveling in the back seat of an i8 for any appreciable distance.

Last edited by Carac; 04-07-2015 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #37
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

We should all be so lucky to be able to afford and own this glorious vehicle. I wish I had those problems. Quit your bitching.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #38
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
We should all be so lucky to be able to afford and own this glorious vehicle. I wish I had those problems. Quit your bitching.
It's still an amazing car, it just didn't make sense for me personally at this point in time. I even left open the possibility of buying another near the end when they've finished tweaking it and adding features. The SVR has all the features I wish had been available on the i8 as well. Lane departure, active cruise, blind spot detection, 1700w stereo (alright, that might be a bit much for the i8), keyless entry, etc.

I kinda went with the opposite end of the spectrum with its replacement:

I'm a sucker for a crackly V8. Hence my affinity for AMGs...but their SUVs don't do anything for me, Range Rovers on the other hand...

It's got the F-Type R Coupe engine and seats

Slightly less fuel efficient than the i8, I admit.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #39
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's still an amazing car, it just didn't make sense for me personally at this point in time. I even left open the possibility of buying another near the end when they've finished tweaking it and adding features. The SVR has all the features I wish had been available on the i8 as well. Lane departure, active cruise, blind spot detection, 1700w stereo (alright, that might be a bit much for the i8), keyless entry, etc.

I kinda went with the opposite end of the spectrum with its replacement:

I'm a sucker for a crackly V8. Hence my affinity for AMGs...but their SUVs don't do anything for me, Range Rovers on the other hand...

It's got the F-Type R Coupe engine and seats

Slightly less fuel efficient than the i8, I admit.
Very nice, but bit of an understatement in saying it is the opposite end of the spectrum!
Appreciate 0