BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Wide e-mile variance with level 1 cord

Noticed a wide variance in the number of e-miles achieved when charging with the regular 110V BMW power cord. Charging after short trips, 5 miles or less, the battery shows 14-15 e-miles when charge is complete. Whereas, 19-22 miles of electric charge is achieved after driving for at least 18 uninterrupted miles. Not sure if the increased e-miles has to do with: charging when the vehicle's motor or undercarriage temperature is hot; the ambient temperature of the garage (the higher charges occurred during warmer evenings); charging during off peak electric hours;or a combination thereof. Anyways, pleasantly surprised to get up to 22 e-miles with just the standard 110V cord that comes with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw View Post
Noticed a wide variance in the number of e-miles achieved when charging with the regular 110V BMW power cord. Charging after short trips, 5 miles or less, the battery shows 14-15 e-miles when charge is complete. Whereas, 19-22 miles of electric charge is achieved after driving for at least 18 uninterrupted miles. Not sure if the increased e-miles has to do with: charging when the vehicle's motor or undercarriage temperature is hot; the ambient temperature of the garage (the higher charges occurred during warmer evenings); charging during off peak electric hours;or a combination thereof. Anyways, pleasantly surprised to get up to 22 e-miles with just the standard 110V cord that comes with the car.
That may just be caused by the "guestimate" of miles changing from a better/higher miles/kWh in a longer drive than a shorter one. I have generally noticed in other electric cars the first few miles tend to take more charge.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The proof of the pudding will be in the number of electric miles you can get before the ICE kicks in. I've tricked my car's computer into thinking I could go 29 miles on electric only from coasting hills. But as soon as I started out the electric range would drop precipitously. As I've noted elsewhere, the best I've gotten is 21.3 and 21.0. I typically drive 14 miles electric only and have 3-4 miles left (or so says my car's computer).
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
That may just be caused by the "guestimate" of miles changing from a better/higher miles/kWh in a longer drive than a shorter one. I have generally noticed in other electric cars the first few miles tend to take more charge.
Could be the case. All that I've experienced so far is that when the vehicle is fully charged up to 19-22 e-miles, I am left with 10-12 remaining e-miles based on the same 40 mile roundtrip office commute for the last three weeks. Whereas, on the few occasions when the car only achieves a maximum charge of 14-15 max. e-miles, it's left with 6-9 e-miles after the same 40 mile commute. In both scenarios, the traffic condition has been relatively constant and the car has been kept in sports mode (trying to ensure the engine is running throughout the break-in period) with the A/C consistently cranked up all of the time.

Interesting point though, to see if the remaining e-miles are indeed accurate or just a rough guesstimate based on analyzing the previous trip or driving habit.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

It seems that there is a definite difference in obtaining more e-miles on a recharge when either the ambient temperature of the garage is warmer or if the i8's motor and undercarriage is warm as well. Not sure which. Could possibly be a combination thereof. Performed a recharge early this morning with car sitting cold overnight and garage temperature at 62 degrees F. (16 degrees C.), which yielded only 14 e-miles at maximum charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

You should search in another thread about mileage, there is a lot of information. Many things, including ambient temperature, tire pressure, headwinds, elevation, driving style all significantly impact battery capacity and/or range/efficiency. Cold reduces power available in the battery AND makes the air more dense, impacting range. For example in a Nissan Leaf the range difference from a nice warm summer day (when battery has stabilized) vs a cold winter day can be a 40% reduction in range. And batteries have a good amount of thermal momentum, so they don't change quickly.

Its common to all electric cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
You should search in another thread about mileage, there is a lot of information. Many things, including ambient temperature, tire pressure, headwinds, elevation, driving style all significantly impact battery capacity and/or range/efficiency. Cold reduces power available in the battery AND makes the air more dense, impacting range. For example in a Nissan Leaf the range difference from a nice warm summer day (when battery has stabilized) vs a cold winter day can be a 40% reduction in range. And batteries have a good amount of thermal momentum, so they don't change quickly.

Its common to all electric cars.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0