BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-26-2020, 02:02 AM   #1
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

Infant seats and passenger fitment

Coming from my current ride of Lotus Evora, with my wife and I in the process of adding an extra person to the family, I'm starting to pushing around the idea of getting a 4 seaters that's green for the daily work commute, but fun for the whole family to enjoy on the weekend. Needless to say, I will want to drive our infant around.

I actually went to the dealer and took a look today, and both my wife and I were able to actually fit into the back seats, and one of the thing we noticed was that the seat bottom base was really short. I remember seeing someone mentioned they've had their 5 months in the back before. What sort of rear facing infant seat have you guys been able to fit in the back?

Myself I'm 5'3", my wife 5", we're pretty short peeps, I take it we won't have any issue with baby seat in the back, even rear facing ones?

Additionally, I might have asked this on another thread previously, but are 2016 models reliable? or should I look toward 2017? On the Lotus Evora side, even on the first gen models, things tend to have been worked out and kinks resolved usually within the warranty period. Are there issues on 2016 models that can persist and reoccur even after warranty?

Last edited by lockescow; 01-26-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Rear facing will not work on the i8 with a passenger in the front-seat. If you get the right front-facing you can accommodate a person under 5'5" in the front passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

I managed to fit a maxi cosi pebble in the rear but secured with the seat belt rather than isofixed. That was rear facing. When my daughter was 0-2 y-o.

My wife could seat in the front a bit squeezed
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
I managed to fit a maxi cosi pebble in the rear but secured with the seat belt rather than isofixed. That was rear facing. When my daughter was 0-2 y-o.

My wife could seat in the front a bit squeezed
Given that my wife is 5"0', do you foresee any issue of her sitting in front with the maxi cosi pebble in the back?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:29 AM   #5
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

She will be able to sit in the front but it will be tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Other than cossi maxi pebble, is there any other rear facing that would fit 0-9 months avail in the US? Looks like all the cossi max sellers are europe and not willing to ship to US
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bumped for US owners answers...

I really want to make this car work for the family, and the hardest patch is literally the rear facing infant phase, as it looks like once you get to front facing and booster, there isnt much issues.

https://csftl.org/battle-of-the-infant-seats/
Ran across a site that did a comprehensive comparison on strictly rear facings. Has anyone in tried any of the following in the i8? Seeing as i8 owner is a much smaller sample size for seats, should i look into 911 forums? There are more owners over there and no doubt they probably have tried as well. Are i8 rear sests comparable to 911s?

Last edited by lockescow; 02-04-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
TommyZ06
Rep
Drives: BMW i

Depends if you don't mind sitting with knees bent while in the front passenger seat. You'll have to push the seat all the way to the front if you want to use a rear facing child seat. I have a 3yr old in a front facing seat and I still push the front seat almost all the way forward so he won't kick the back of it. Easier to buckle the child in the carrier then connect it the base. It will be a pain trying to buckle the child if the seat is already in the base.

This is the rear facing I used:
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 40 Infant Car Seat, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LIRJ2NU/

This is the front facing I'm using now:
Graco Nautilus 80 Elite
http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/nauti...ar-seat-103534

I removed the back rest and seat so the child seat is just sitting on the black material.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyZ06 View Post
Depends if you don't mind sitting with knees bent while in the front passenger seat. You'll have to push the seat all the way to the front if you want to use a rear facing child seat. I have a 3yr old in a front facing seat and I still push the front seat almost all the way forward so he won't kick the back of it. Easier to buckle the child in the carrier then connect it the base. It will be a pain trying to buckle the child if the seat is already in the base.

This is the rear facing I used:
Graco SnugRide Click Connect 40 Infant Car Seat, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LIRJ2NU/

This is the front facing I'm using now:
Graco Nautilus 80 Elite
http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/nauti...ar-seat-103534

I removed the back rest and seat so the child seat is just sitting on the black material.
This is awesome!

I no longer see the Click Connect 40 available as it is discontinued. But I do see the 35. I take it those are max weight of the infant. Are those comparable in size to the 40 enough for me to use in the i8?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

The orbit baby is the only way to fly!

It rotates so you can grab them without doing origami.

Had one in the i3 and it worked wonders.
And still was able to fit a full adult in the passenger seat.

I don't think they make them as the patents where sold to Korea. But maybe you can. I know theirs still some new ones on eBay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
mikesgreenberg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8 Tera World

Has anyone found a stroller that will fit in the trunk? lol (or the other back seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
mikesgreenberg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8 Tera World

I just bought a 2016. Does anyone have a recommendation in the US for a rear facing convertible car seat? Do any of them swivel from front to rear? I think it will be challenging to get her in without taking the car seat out every single time...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
energetic
Rep
Drives: German and Japanese Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgreenberg View Post
Has anyone found a stroller that will fit in the trunk? lol (or the other back seat)
I’ve noticed a relevant discussion in this thread below with some pictures. It may be of help.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1127705