06-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #4137
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Always heard good things about the CZ75 but ive got no personal experience with them.
Yeah I have a pre b cz75 but wont work for me for carry because cant work thr safety properly with my grip, need monkey thumbs I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #4138
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah I have a pre b cz75 but wont work for me for carry because cant work thr safety properly with my grip, need monkey thumbs I guess.
Glock
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #4139
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

SA pro
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #4140
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Gentleman, I greatly appreciate all of the CCW recommendations. A lot of valuable information has been posted and has helped me narrow it down to (2) contenders for my first CC weapon. In addition to your recommendations, I reached out to my uncle who is a retired LEO, ex military, and owns several hundred firearms. He has recommended a Glock 43 or S&W M&P Shield for my first weapon. I am leaning towards the S&W for a few technical reasons, however, I think its important to hold and fire a weapon extensively before making a decision. So for that reason, I am going to do some pretty extensive range shooting via rentals before making up my mind.

I have shot my friends Glock 43 a few times and loved it. The size, the weight, how it felt in my hand etc, felt very natural to me. Whereas a few other hand guns we shot that day felt clunky and cumbersome. I'm sure as I gain experience shooting and my confidence level increases, my perspective will change on subcompacts, but for now, I don't think I can go wrong with either one of these.

Also, I have done a bunch of skeet shooting, some random range shooting, and went on a few hunting trips back in high school, so I do have 'some' experience shooting. However, I am of the mindset that mastery is key, so will be taking whichever weapon I decide on to the range several times before actually carrying.

I just enrolled in an online CCW course here in FL and will be submitting my application later this week. I was going to take the in person course, but with COVID and the sounds of the course from my uncle, I think online will suffice.

Looking forward to sharing my purchase decision later next month.

Thanks again,
Jordan
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #4141
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I just watched a G43x review by Colion Noir, he was luke warm on it because of the 10 round magazines but loved it with the 15 round Shield Arms magazine. I am leaning toward Shield Arms modified G43x for my next purchase.
      06-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #4142
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
No issues so far with my Shield Arms magazine in my 43X. They just released a nickel version of it. My six original versions are running fine.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #4143
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Gentleman, I greatly appreciate all of the CCW recommendations. A lot of valuable information has been posted and has helped me narrow it down to (2) contenders for my first CC weapon. In addition to your recommendations, I reached out to my uncle who is a retired LEO, ex military, and owns several hundred firearms. He has recommended a Glock 43 or S&W M&P Shield for my first weapon. I am leaning towards the S&W for a few technical reasons, however, I think its important to hold and fire a weapon extensively before making a decision. So for that reason, I am going to do some pretty extensive range shooting via rentals before making up my mind.

I have shot my friends Glock 43 a few times and loved it. The size, the weight, how it felt in my hand etc, felt very natural to me. Whereas a few other hand guns we shot that day felt clunky and cumbersome. I'm sure as I gain experience shooting and my confidence level increases, my perspective will change on subcompacts, but for now, I don't think I can go wrong with either one of these.

Also, I have done a bunch of skeet shooting, some random range shooting, and went on a few hunting trips back in high school, so I do have 'some' experience shooting. However, I am of the mindset that mastery is key, so will be taking whichever weapon I decide on to the range several times before actually carrying.

I just enrolled in an online CCW course here in FL and will be submitting my application later this week. I was going to take the in person course, but with COVID and the sounds of the course from my uncle, I think online will suffice.

Thanks again,
Jordan
I own 2 shields and they are great with a great price point. Down the road add night sites and then purchase an aftermarket apex trigger system. Smooth as butter.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #4144
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Good choices. I still recommend looking at the Taurus G2C and get past the brand. If you look it up youll find nothing but positive reviews on the particular gun. Main reason i suggest looking into this is it is nearly the exact same size as the shield and very similar ergonomics. However instead of 7/8+1 rds it holds 12+1 rds and ive shot both. The G2C is imo the better shooter.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #4145
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
I own 2 shields and they are great with a great price point. Down the road add night sites and then purchase an aftermarket apex trigger system. Smooth as butter.
That's pretty darn cool! Up until now, I didn't even realize you can install an aftermarket sight on a pistol. I have a feeling the customization market is endless for this kind of stuff. This is actually starting to get kind of fun.

Explains the obsession with accessories my uncle seems to have for his collection, lol.

Watching this guy right now:

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #4146
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Good choices. I still recommend looking at the Taurus G2C and get past the brand. If you look it up youll find nothing but positive reviews on the particular gun. Main reason i suggest looking into this is it is nearly the exact same size as the shield and very similar ergonomics. However instead of 7/8+1 rds it holds 12+1 rds and ive shot both. The G2C is imo the better shooter.
Checking it out now.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #4147
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Checking it out now.

Thanks,
Make sure you check out all of these suggestions in person. Making sure a pistol fits your hand is really important.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #4148
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Checking it out now.

Thanks,
Make sure you check out all of these suggestions in person. Making sure a pistol fits your hand is really important.
Yup! As soon as cases subside, we're going to a local range that has a rental program.

As of now my list of rentals that I'm going to shoot are (my buddy has the 43 already):

Glock 43
S&W Shield
Springfield XD
Taurus G2C

Hopefully they have all of these available. Should probably call and check before going. My buddy said you don't necessarily have to fire them to find the right gun, but rather just see how they feel in the hand.

Can't wait! Have been stuck in the YouTube firearm rabbit hole all weekend. My algorithm and advertising has completely changed, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #4149
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
So pre-COVID, I would hit up my local range and just borrow some ear-pro and eye-pro, but post-COVID I thought it would be best to get my own stuff.

Suggestions on the best ear and eye pro?
If you dont mind spending a bit, I'd recommend Peltors (we use them on deployments), or walkers. If you ever plan on shooting rifles, definitely get a low-profile version.

I'd also recommend getting one with sound Amplification. For eye pro, make sure they're ANSI rated. We usually use Oakleys if were being fancy, or Wiley X if were being cheap.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I don't know about jumping into CCW without previous firearm experience.
Gotta start somewhere. In my ccw class even though i had plenty of firearm experience they taught most of the basics and offered more help to those who are unfamiliar with firearms. Then spent a couple hours at the range. Took about 4-5weeks for my card to come in the mail which would allow time to practice at the range some more and get familiar with the basics of a gun before carrying. I think a ccw class is a good place to start if you dont know anyone who is knowledgeable about firearms and its usually taught by LEO
this is definitely YMMV. In Texas, they explicitly state NOT to show up if you do NOT have prior firearms experience with shooting and manipulation. They do NOT teach you how to shoot before testing.

I'm a certified Texas DPS Instructor.

Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Checking it out now.

Thanks,
Yup! As soon as cases subside, we're going to a local range that has a rental program.

As of now my list of rentals that I'm going to shoot are (my buddy has the 43 already):

Glock 43
S&W Shield
Springfield XD
Taurus G2C

Hopefully they have all of these available. Should probably call and check before going. My buddy said you don't necessarily have to fire them to find the right gun, but rather just see how they feel in the hand.

Can't wait! Have been stuck in the YouTube firearm rabbit hole all weekend. My algorithm and advertising has completely changed, lol.
Depending on your size, and your hand size, the Shield may be small since its compact and SINGLE stack. Try doing 3 sets of your max push ups then shoot immediately to simulate accuracy in a self defense situation.

I conceal carry a Glock 19X with cargo shorts and a short sleeve without any issues. YMMV though. I'm 6 foot 3 and 230 pounds (on my good days lol). Whatever you choose, it should be the one you shoot best, not the most comfortable to conceal.
      06-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #4150
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/sa...s-d-style.html

Love my CZs
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #4151
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:

Thanks again,
Jordan
Another recommendation would be the P10C or P10S by CZ. Great pistols out of the box and they don't need any work done to them. I'm not a fan of S&W pistols triggers because they feel spongy. I don't like to modify my personal defense pistols to avoid anything coming back at me if I was in a position.

Another option, I also like to carry SA/DA pistols, I like my CZ RAMI. Small package with a nice capacity if you get a decocker model.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #4152
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Why the preference for the 43X over a P365? Still 9mm, same amount of rounds, but smaller.
Appreciate 1
Nuckle2218.00
      06-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #4153
Nuckle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Why the preference for the 43X over a P365? Still 9mm, same amount of rounds, but smaller.
I agree with this statement.
Appreciate 1
qba335i399.50
      06-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #4154
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Could be glock vs sig fans. The grip might be better on thr 43x as well. In my experience the thinner the gun the easier to conceal not just being overall smaller. Hence why myself at 6’1 180lbs can easily conceal my 1911 but have more trouble concealing my glock 23
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #4155
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Agreed 1911 lot thinner than glock or most any of that the gun.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #4156
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
While looking at Gray Guns' P365 upgrades, I was sold on the trigger work they offer for my HK P30 so I added myself to the queue. I'm really looking forward to this upgrade because the trigger is the one aspect of my P30 I feel needs improvement.

Description of work:

Quote:
Reduced Reset Carry Perfection Package

Comprehensive action refitting and smoothing work, full feed and reliability package; gauging of safety and sear engagement values and assessment of condition; sight regulation and thorough range testing.

This package includes an internal over-travel stop as necessary and a 12lb mainspring is provided for a reduced DA trigger pull of proven reliability when tested with your carry ammo. This package includes our Proprietary Reduced Reset providing approx. 40-45 percent reduction in total trigger reset and reuptake travel while maintaining Firing Pin Block integrity and all other factory safety values. Includes refinishing of all fire control parts with Nickel PTFE for the smoothest and most durable action possible. (Note: Some parts like hammer and axle will be externally visible.)

This package can be applied to the following Heckler & Koch pistols including: HK USP, USP Compact, P2000 or P2000SK, P30, P30L, P30SK, P30S, HK45, and HK45 Compact, and is applicable to all DA/SA, SAO, LEM or DAO action variants.
Attached Images

06-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #4157
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Just discover this thread so I though I'd share my SCAR 17S build: I just call him Mufasa

- Geissele Trigger
- KDG SAS Adjustable Stock
- SCAR MREX Rails
- Magpul MOE+ Grip
- Lantac Dragon Muzzle Brake
- Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24 Scope
- Atlas Bipod
- SureFire X400
Attached Images

For Sale
Appreciate 8
      06-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #4158
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed 1911 lot thinner than glock or most any of that the gun.
This is why I carry one. I'm a smaller guy and the 1911 frame along with the single action trigger pull is what works best for me.

I've tried several other guns but I am so much more accurate and comfortable with a 1911 frame that I continue to carry it, despite it's limitations.

For me - accuracy > number of rounds in magazine.

YMMV