BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #1
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Auto start stop no longer working.

After the last time my i8 was at the dealership they did a software update and now it no longer has the start stop feature. I tried to code it back in and now get the auto start stop error. Pretty annoying I have to swap into Edrive in start stop traffic to get the engine to stop idle when I'm not moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I8 had an auto start/stop?

If in comfort the car pushes towards electric and if in sports mode it never turns of the engine? Therefore in comfort it would start moving from a stop in electric power and if more acceleration is needed it will turn on the ICE; unless your battery is not charged. When would your vehicle turn off/on at a stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
I8 had an auto start/stop?

If in comfort the car pushes towards electric and if in sports mode it never turns of the engine? Therefore in comfort it would start moving from a stop in electric power and if more acceleration is needed it will turn on the ICE; unless your battery is not charged. When would your vehicle turn off/on at a stop?
That’s accurate - depending on driving mode it switches on and off more frequently or not at all!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Before though if I was stuck in start/stop traffic and battery was saying at least 20% it would shut off the engine and conserve gas. Now I tested it and battery was above 70% yet even in eco mode it would not shut off the gas engine at all. Sat in one place over 5 min. Even turned a/c off and opened windows. Still would not turn off the engine. Also noticed that even under mild acceleration not even close to half throttle it starts the engine where before it was much less likely to start up. And would often shut off at stoplights. Now it never does at all. Even in eco pro. Even with a full battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Sounds like you have the "Hold Battery Charge" selected.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00
      08-14-2023, 10:53 PM   #6
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No the hold state of charge is not selected. It only has done this since I got it back from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:30 AM   #7
i8fan
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb13662 View Post
Before though if I was stuck in start/stop traffic and battery was saying at least 20% it would shut off the engine and conserve gas. Now I tested it and battery was above 70% yet even in eco mode it would not shut off the gas engine at all. Sat in one place over 5 min. Even turned a/c off and opened windows. Still would not turn off the engine. Also noticed that even under mild acceleration not even close to half throttle it starts the engine where before it was much less likely to start up. And would often shut off at stoplights. Now it never does at all. Even in eco pro. Even with a full battery.
From previous BMW's I've owned, the stop-start will not activate if the 12V standard battery's charge level is too low. In the i8, I believe this is trickle-charged from the HV battery but this may take some time for the standard battery to reach the necessary charge level
Appreciate 0