BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

P16EA trouble code: DME, internal fault, watchdog output: malfunction

I got in my BMW i8 to go to work this morning, and the check engine light was illuminated. I started on electric, then switched to gas a mile later, and it stayed on throughout my 16 mile commute to work. The vehicle operated normally, as expected. When I got to work, I inserted my Veepeak Bluetooth OBDII dongle into the OBDII port and used the Torque Lite application to scan the codes.

P16EA trouble code: DME, internal fault, watchdog output: malfunction

I received no other warnings on the iDrive and all systems seem to appear OK. I'm going to drive it home and see if the light goes out on it's own. If not, I'll schedule a service appointment with the dealer as I'm covered under CPO warranty at this time.

I've discovered the following information about this trouble code at https://autodiagcart.com/wrd/wp-cont...-2010-2011.pdf

MEVD17.2-BN2000 0x36BB 14011
The diagnostic function monitors the internal ABE and WDA wire in the DME ECM. The fault is recognized by the self-diagnosis.

Potential problem source(s): DME defective
This fault is logged in the control module's fault memory immediately

Terminal 15
Voltage condition: Onboard electrical system
voltage between 9 V and 16V
Temperature condition: None
Time condition: None
Other conditions: none

- Only replace the DME if the fault remains present continuously or if the fault frequency is greater than 3
- ECE emissions warning lamp: off
- ECE electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on
- MY11 US: US emissions warning lamp: on
- US electronic engine power reduction: on
- CC message: on

- Possible apparent symptoms: Non-starter in extreme case

- Breakdown notice: Continued driving is not possible while fault is active. When the fault is no longer present continued driving is possible with no restrictions.

- A terminal status switch must be conducted before this fault can be deleted.
      02-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Keep us posted then Pat! Hope nothing much.

Will you put the air box flap back in for the visit? Assume nothing to do with that?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Sadly with your posts and videos Pat you might have an issue with CPO insurance. Suggest you are very careful there because I assume some of your changes void warranty if they want to play hardball.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

In the US, we are protected against being declined warranty service if the fault is not related to the modification. Since I've never modified the DME ECM, or any component associated with it and it's electronic communications, I won't be undoing any modifications.
      02-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
In the US, we are protected against being declined warranty service if the fault is not related to the modification. Since I've never modified the DME ECM, or any component associated with it and it's electronic communications, I won't be undoing any modifications.
Good luck then proving that the faults are unrelated. Hope this goes well for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Good luck then proving that the faults are unrelated. Hope this goes well for you.
Thanks! Based on the analysis of this fault code, "The diagnostic function monitors the internal ABE and WDA wire in the DME ECM," these are internal connections inside the computer which controls the engine. I've not modified any electrical connections on the car and everything appears exactly as it does from factory.

My fuel door and intake flap mods were physical changes but the actuators still perform correctly, move into and out of position on command, and relay the open/closed data back to their respective modules. If I had done a remap to the car's tune, then I'd likely be on the hook to spend the money for an ECM repair, for sure.
      02-28-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

The check engine light went away on it's own. I posted this same information to the BMW i8 Facebook Group and received the following reply from a member who has experience tuning the ECM:

Watchdog errors refer to a section of the ecu that is basically tuning/theft protection, these are caused by either poor programming with low voltage ( not applicable) or
.the vehicle watchdog listens for a "chirp" (signal) at set intervals...if these intervals are interuppted due to power surge power drain low power battery disconnect poor programming etc etc etc then this code comes on....of its a one off, it will clear itself pat.
43 warm up cycles is the usual amount to self heal a one off code, all bmws are VERY RELIANT on constant battery voltage... not the lithium battery but the bog standard car battery in the front...it may seem ok but it could well be ready for replacement, this should solve your problem, iv see these codes a few times a week ion normal ice cars and its sually either batery or poor remap previously with clone tools
      04-13-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
Xdrive_!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e

Pat, I'm having the same error on my X5, Curious what resolved your CEL and Did you happen to check with your dealer, what did they say?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:02 AM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Two points:

1) Do not get paranoid about BMW big brother. Having been in the trenches during the N54 tuning mods warfare, my takeaway impression is that BMW AG is imminently reasonable, anything Pat has modded is piffle. Freude am fahren includes appreciation of feedback from enthusiasts who amp boost etc. BMW AG is not out to get you, not out to find fine print to deny warranty. Au contraire, they love us.

2) 2014 - 2017 i8 have particular sensitivity to the 12V battery system. This is perhaps a generalization to most BMWs of this vintage. I ran into this issue trying to diet my 335 and M3 with lightweight batteries.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 02:00 AM   #10
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

For random gremlin issues like this, would one just clear the check engine via the odb2 and see if it comes up again?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Xdrive_!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e

CEL was on/off, Dealer was not able to diagnose the engine code but I did got it with Auto Zone ODB2.

I went to the dealer today asking for what inspections were completed before the CPO badge was given, they told me that the X5 wasn't CPO inspected by them but it was per-certified by the Owner himself. They also, did mention that it was mentioned during my buy out process, I'm 100% certain it wasn't. when I asked them if they could do any possible inspections, they mentioned I'll be responsible for them. which diagnosis inspections my X5 should take to identify potential problems? So, I can at least fix them under CPO.

Since ECU is electrical they are willing to fix it under CPO for now.

Last edited by Xdrive_!; 04-14-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

My CEL hasn't come back since this originally occurred. My CPO is up in Nov 2020 so I'll take it in before the end of CPO stating that the code came up and threw an intermittent CEL and see if they want to do anything about this error. That way, at least I'm covered in case it is still a problem within the module. But, for now, no issues at all.
      01-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #13
targaz
Rep
Drives: x5e 2016 M-package

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016BMWX540e View Post
CEL was on/off, Dealer was not able to diagnose the engine code but I did got it with Auto Zone ODB2.

I went to the dealer today asking for what inspections were completed before the CPO badge was given, they told me that the X5 wasn't CPO inspected by them but it was per-certified by the Owner himself. They also, did mention that it was mentioned during my buy out process, I'm 100% certain it wasn't. when I asked them if they could do any possible inspections, they mentioned I'll be responsible for them. which diagnosis inspections my X5 should take to identify potential problems? So, I can at least fix them under CPO.

Since ECU is electrical they are willing to fix it under CPO for now.
it came up on my x5 as well. just the engine light and i needed an ODB to read it.
how did you see it if it was CEL ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #14
brastic
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3, E36 M3, FFR MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
The check engine light went away on it's own. I posted this same information to the BMW i8 Facebook Group and received the following reply from a member who has experience tuning the ECM:

Watchdog errors refer to a section of the ecu that is basically tuning/theft protection, these are caused by either poor programming with low voltage ( not applicable) or
.the vehicle watchdog listens for a "chirp" (signal) at set intervals...if these intervals are interuppted due to power surge power drain low power battery disconnect poor programming etc etc etc then this code comes on....of its a one off, it will clear itself pat.
43 warm up cycles is the usual amount to self heal a one off code, all bmws are VERY RELIANT on constant battery voltage... not the lithium battery but the bog standard car battery in the front...it may seem ok but it could well be ready for replacement, this should solve your problem, iv see these codes a few times a week ion normal ice cars and its sually either batery or poor remap previously with clone tools
I do not know if the i8 is the same, but when the lead AGM battery died on my i3, I got a lot of weird error codes. Even when the AGM battery was getting low, I would get false dead main battery warnings. These batteries last 4-6 years, so you are in range. You might want to do a video on replacing the AGM battery. It is a whole process.
Appreciate 0