Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-12-2020, 02:18 AM   #23
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

As the initiator of this thread, i will say one thing: there is a fair amount of difference in feel between pre LCI and LCI models.

Early cars are more supple with lighter, less feel steering. The LCI cars have slightly stiffer suspension and beefier steering. I think on that front and with UK roads in mind, i preferred my earlier car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:51 AM   #24
barryblue
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
As the initiator of this thread, i will say one thing: there is a fair amount of difference in feel between pre LCI and LCI models.

Early cars are more supple with lighter, less feel steering. The LCI cars have slightly stiffer suspension and beefier steering. I think on that front and with UK roads in mind, i preferred my earlier car.
Hi Ericsi,

Did your coupe and now the roadster have the same tyres fitted?

I ask as I am just about to change the tyres on my pre LCI coupe.

All the best

Barry
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:01 AM   #25
racer7
Rep
Drives: tbc

Quote:

This is very interesting to hear. I always try to get the latest/lowest mileage model I can afford with the logic that things should be improved.

It feels that it comes to one toss up over preference - do you extended electric range or do you want better handling? Tough call for me. Practical head says extended range. The other side that wants a sports car says handling!

Did you find the differences to be that noticeable on the LCI coupe too or just the roadster?

Last edited by racer7; 11-12-2020 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:05 AM   #26
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryblue View Post
Hi Ericsi,

Did your coupe and now the roadster have the same tyres fitted?

I ask as I am just about to change the tyres on my pre LCI coupe.

All the best

Barry
Yes same tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:09 AM   #27
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
This is very interesting to hear. I always try to get the latest/lowest mileage model I can afford with the logic that things should be improved.

It feels that it comes to one toss up over preference - do you extended electric range or do you want better handling? Tough call for me. Practical head says extended range. The other side that wants a sports car says handling!

Did you find the differences to be that noticeable on the LCI coupe too or just the roadster?
I did not drive the LCI coupe, only roadster. Can only imagine these two would be very similar.

The extended range is obv much better.

The ideal car for me would be suspension settings of early cars and steering feel of later cars.

I find it irritating that manufacturers keep thinking that stiffer cars are better. At least Alpine has seen the light on that front.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #28
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I drove both cars and that the old i8 has better handling is nonsense. It has worse feedback from the road regarding steering and it understeers much more heavily in EV mode. I admit that I didn't drive it outside Germany but we also claim that we have more potholes than road (which might be an overstatement). The suspension might be a little stiffer, hard to say from memory. But I have my standard corners and the new i8 does a few km/h more before reaching the limit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #29
Adofred
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW I8 LCI

I agree .
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:47 AM   #30
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
I drove both cars and that the old i8 has better handling is nonsense. It has worse feedback from the road regarding steering and it understeers much more heavily in EV mode. I admit that I didn't drive it outside Germany but we also claim that we have more potholes than road (which might be an overstatement). The suspension might be a little stiffer, hard to say from memory. But I have my standard corners and the new i8 does a few km/h more before reaching the limit.
So you drove both? Did you own both?

I had two pre LCI i8’s covering a 6 year period. Now the roadster for just under a year. Hopefully I should have an educated opinion?

Maybe not.

You are absolutely right that on a smooth (European?) road in ideal conditions, the general handling of the newer car is better. More feel in the steering, less understeer.

HOWEVER, here in the UK were B roads are anything but smooth, things are different. In fact, roads are full of holes, bumps, cambers, forever changing tarmac etc... in these conditions and doing 7/10th driving, the new car is more jittery and has a tendency to bounce around.

The old car was softer and as such was able to ‘glide’ better with the road. Therefore covering distance in a more serene fashion. I am even tempted to say that it encouraged you to press on.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #31
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Eric - the roadster is 60kg from than the LCI (from what I can gather). I wonder if this changes things much? I believe the original was 150kg lighter than the roadster so that must make the LCI 90kg more?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #32
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So you drove both? Did you own both?

I had two pre LCI i8’s covering a 6 year period. Now the roadster for just under a year. Hopefully I should have an educated opinion?

Maybe not.

You are absolutely right that on a smooth (European?) road in ideal conditions, the general handling of the newer car is better. More feel in the steering, less understeer.

HOWEVER, here in the UK were B roads are anything but smooth, things are different. In fact, roads are full of holes, bumps, cambers, forever changing tarmac etc... in these conditions and doing 7/10th driving, the new car is more jittery and has a tendency to bounce around.

The old car was softer and as such was able to ‘glide’ better with the road. Therefore covering distance in a more serene fashion. I am even tempted to say that it encouraged you to press on.
No, only the Roadster, because of a lack of EV range and the problematic handling I decided against the old i8. But our opinions seem to be well compatible in any case. Actually your daily route can well change the opinion on any car, handling, how well assistance system work, etc. There is no one truth for everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #33
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Agree with above had a 2016 i8 for 3-years and not have a 2019 i8. The 2016 was a smoother driving car as I can feel more of the road-imperfection on my daily commute on the new car vs the older car. The difference is negligible unless you have had both cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #34
racer7
Rep
Drives: tbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
The difference is negligible unless you have had both cars.
Thanks for this. I think that is big thing. Would you really miss it or not. Given that it is negligible then it makes the increase in range more impactful to the end user.

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for LCI models now.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #35
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for this. I think that is big thing. Would you really miss it or not. Given that it is negligible then it makes the increase in range more impactful to the end user.

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for LCI models now.
In reality it is simple economics. How much more is another 15 miles of battery life worth to you? If you use those extra 15 miles every single day then its about half a gallon of petrol, or about £1,000 a year. If you use that extra 15 miles once a week then its worth about £150 a year, less than the road tax you'll save with a pre April 2017 car.

I've still manageed to average 55mpg with my pre LCI car, so whilst the extra would be nice its nowhere near enough to make the trade up worthwhile IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:33 AM   #36
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
In reality it is simple economics. How much more is another 15 miles of battery life worth to you? If you use those extra 15 miles every single day then its about half a gallon of petrol, or about £1,000 a year. If you use that extra 15 miles once a week then its worth about £150 a year, less than the road tax you'll save with a pre April 2017 car.

I've still manageed to average 55mpg with my pre LCI car, so whilst the extra would be nice its nowhere near enough to make the trade up worthwhile IMHO.
There is the environmental aspect in addition to cost. I kind of always assume if you buy an i8 then you're not afraid of a fuel bill. I am at a lifetime consumption of less than 2 Liters/100km. That's purely rare long distance, my commute is purely electrical. That would not have worked out with the small battery of the old i8.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #37
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

All very rational, but if it was about the money, none of us would driving an i8 full stop.

I averaged 62mpg over the life of my 2015 i8 coupe. It was superb throughout the ownership. The only reason why i went for the roadster was to have something a little fresher, a little more unique (prod numbers) and the silent roof off driving experience.

The electric range was the last thing on my mind.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #38
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Apples and oranges here. Thread is focused on 'handling' and 'ride' differences. Coupes and Roadsters, Pre-LCI and 2019-20.

Roadster has open top. Heavier from additional structure to reduce loss of chassis stiffness from loss of roof.

2019-20 has numerous changes to chassis and suspension, some differences btw coupe and roadster. Extended e range and more power.

Comparing oranges to oranges, pre-LCI coupe to 2019-20 coupe handling/ride, BMW moved to a 'sportier' suspension in both hardware and software. The differences are more pronounced in sport mode. I was a bit surprised that BMW stuck with the same narrow tires, given the higher potential of the LCI, but there are many complex political/economic reasons for that. i8 remains an amazing jack of all trades: green. GT. DD. Sports car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #39
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:

Its not the money, it is the convenience. The extra range has helped me avoid wasting time going to a gas station many times. That alone is priceless....and on the weekend when i want a spirited drives I have the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #40
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
All very rational, but if it was about the money, none of us would driving an i8 full stop.

I averaged 62mpg over the life of my 2015 i8 coupe. It was superb throughout the ownership. The only reason why i went for the roadster was to have something a little fresher, a little more unique (prod numbers) and the silent roof off driving experience.

The electric range was the last thing on my mind.
Absolutely! And that was the poitn I was trying to make, the difference between the LCI and non LCI is in reality so small that its not really worth the question. The only thing that would get me out of my 2017 i8 coupe is an i8 Roadster, the LCI bit makes no difference in reality.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #41
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
Its not the money, it is the convenience. The extra range has helped me avoid wasting time going to a gas station many times. That alone is priceless....and on the weekend when i want a spirited drives I have the ICE.
Really? how far away from your nearest gas station are you? I wouldn't have thought an extra 14 to 15 miles would make any real world difference at all! But if thats a key factor for you then fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #42
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
There is the environmental aspect in addition to cost. I kind of always assume if you buy an i8 then you're not afraid of a fuel bill. I am at a lifetime consumption of less than 2 Liters/100km. That's purely rare long distance, my commute is purely electrical. That would not have worked out with the small battery of the old i8.
I do agree on the environmental point. The i8 is the only sports car/supercar that you can drive with a moral conscience. Although that is now starting to change...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #43
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:

I suspect battery condition will have some impact on this -

I read on here about some changes to the front vent and a strut bar (maybe) that has a negative impact on the LCI performance/handling. Any further opinions on this?

I also never noticed (until reading here) the subtle difference in hood intake.

One more thing - sorry for the long post - on the subject of 4 seats. Does anybody actually ferry anyone around like that. .
Battery condition will be fine. i8 has so much unused overhead that you won't see any deterioration.

I prefer the handling on the original car. Lighter and slightly quicker to respond to the wheel. It's marginal though.

The original is lighter and has slightly better aero. Search old threads here for details on drag.

Old hood design looks so much better.

When my kids were young, we drove from Kent to Scotland and back, travelling around Scotland for a week. 4 of us in the car. Rear seats are pretty useless now for me, except for emergency use, so not entirely worthless.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #44
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:

Agree, except that they all have no-feel steering. It's just slightly heavier on the new models. It is very precise though, on either model.
Appreciate 0