Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
FSXpilotChris
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Exclamation Problems With i3 E-Transmission Possibly?

I've driven other i3 models and haven't noticed this problem, so I am unsure if anyone else has this issue. I will set up a simple scenario: While slowing down to a stop sign (2-3 mph range), I accelerate, the car does not ease into the motion of acceleration. Another instance is in stop-and-go traffic. I'm not talking about torque, rather it seems that the car's transmission has an issue where the car jerks forward all of a sudden. Please do not come at me telling it's the torque, because I realize electric vehicles are notorious for that, but it's the jerking sensation that is concerning. An analogy would be the sensation you get when you stall a manual vehicle where your head goes back and the car jerks forward, thus preventing a smooth transition from stopping to going. If no one is still clear about what I am talking about, I would be happy to upload a video of this scheme occurring.

P.S. I was told by my dealer that it could be an issue with the motor mounts, but I took it to another mechanic and he said they were fine. I don't know what the issue is. 2014 BMW i3 REx.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX

I wonder if it is the hill assist keeping the brakes on too long?

Is the problem like stepping on the accelerator and all of sudden the car takes off with a jolt when the brakes release?

Our Mini does that on occasion, I have asked Mini service if they could turn it off but they cant. Our i3 runs pretty smooth and hasn't behaved like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSXpilotChris View Post
I've driven other i3 models and haven't noticed this problem, so I am unsure if anyone else has this issue. I will set up a simple scenario: While slowing down to a stop sign (2-3 mph range), I accelerate, the car does not ease into the motion of acceleration. Another instance is in stop-and-go traffic. I'm not talking about torque, rather it seems that the car's transmission has an issue where the car jerks forward all of a sudden. Please do not come at me telling it's the torque, because I realize electric vehicles are notorious for that, but it's the jerking sensation that is concerning. An analogy would be the sensation you get when you stall a manual vehicle where your head goes back and the car jerks forward, thus preventing a smooth transition from stopping to going. If no one is still clear about what I am talking about, I would be happy to upload a video of this scheme occurring.

P.S. I was told by my dealer that it could be an issue with the motor mounts, but I took it to another mechanic and he said they were fine. I don't know what the issue is. 2014 BMW i3 REx.
Is this while the REx is running? If not, I'm not sure how the motor mounts are an issue... unless he is talking about the electrical motor mounts? Did the Indy shop confirm which motor they checked?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0