Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #133
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Wait sex is the only issue, everything else pretty good? Jesus it's the easiest thing to fix, much harder to fix head cases or irrational people causing tension. Not downplaying your issue but this is fixable.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #134
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I have been locked in a house with my wife going through her first pregnancy. I just keep my head down and pay bills....
I am going through the same thing. First trimester. Head down, cook, clean and pay bills.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #135
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

It didn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #136
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

A husband tells his wife, "Honey, I got you some Aspirin!"
The wife says, "But I don't have a headache."
He says,
"Great! Let's have sex!"

Sex is not an easy fix. You'd have to be pretty out of love to think you can have your sex needs met elsewhere and continue your marriage as normal. Unless you're one of those we have an open marriage types.

Not many men or women want to live in a sexless marriage. Sure there are different levels and components of intimacy... emotional intimacy... cuddling... and then there is sex. Does sex outweigh everything else? Sometimes yes it can but it should not always take first priority.

The brain goes off on one.. is she cheating? Am I not attractive any more? She doesn't want me which means she doesn't love me and our relationship is over. It can make your believe you are the problem solely.

There is a saying. Men are like ovens. Women are like slow cookers. Do you still woo her? Flirt with her? Have the kids become priority and date night never takes place?

You have to show a woman you appreciate and want her for more than just her body or sex. Sex is an act. So saying you want sex compared with wanting her are two slightly different things. You have to sex her brain up first.

Anyhow, chances are something is going on with her. I'm not saying she is broken. I don't even know her like you do. Often when a woman turns the tap off or is no longer interested there is something emotional going on... something upset her, may be she didn't get that promotion, may be there is nothing exciting in life, she's bored... it could be anything. May be she doesn't find herself sexy anymore. Some women and men are different, they don't have an ideal of how married life means sex once a week. The media is misleading with how many times a healthy couple does it. News flash. There is no magic number to aspire to or be at. Some healthy couples have sex once a month or once every three months.

She might even be one of those and had been placing herself under pressure to give in to not see you in a mood.

One thing is for certain. If she doesn't want to get help. Either she doesn't see a problem or it is something she is not ready to face or perhaps doesn't see a problem. Something is not right though. People have to want to fix things or try. If she doesn't she is either depressed or made her mind up.

People do fall out of love or realize they want different things in life. When you love someone you fight for them but if they don't want to be around you love them enough to let them go.

Self service and take matters into your own hands but don't cheat or pay for sex. Try and add a bit of romance if it's lost. Have patience but also have a cut off if you must. Say you take care of yourself for 10 months and she doesn't make a single advance... give her an ultimatum. Get help or I'm leaving. You need to tell her how you feel though and ask what you can do to help things. It sounds like she needs some help.

May be the women can chime in here...
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #137
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried plenty over the years. I've been pretty fit at times (riding 140+ mi per week, year round), and earlier this year I lost about 6kg (down to 72kg from 78ish)...it changes nothing. Any advances I've tried to make have been met coldly. She'd pull away from me offering a hug, or just grumble if I asked for one.

Last night was tough. Tried to talk it through with her, and explain my feelings. She just got pretty hysterical and we essentially made no progress. However, she has since offered a couple of hugs - that's massive for me and lifts my mood a lot!

I do think she could benefit from some kind of help. I'm not sure what. But I don't think me suggesting she get help would go down well... She doesn't think she's broken. I wish she'd take my efforts to fix things up as a positive effort rather than a problem.

We'll see how it progresses.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #138
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

OK that's worse than it sounds, this is not about sex, she's just shut down.

It may just be the mundanity of family life has hit her, she may not even know it. Kids now front and centre and she doesn't have the energy to be connect. Has her body shape changed, women get pretty sensitive about that and can go quiet.

Either way, poster above was right, it's something in her head.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      11-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #139
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes, I think it's something relating to the mundanity/familiarity/etc of normal life. Her body hasn't changed very much, I don't think, but it's possible that there's something that bothers her there. Honestly, I think she suffers from depression a bit - similar to me. She spends too much of her day scrolling through the internet, IMO...just lost her spark a fair bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #140
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

The reality of parental responsibility can be confronting, i know at times, i mean i love my kids, but man, would honestly do anything for a week to myself, just alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #141
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Every night I can't wait until my son goes to sleep, so I can get some peace/free time. And as soon as he's asleep I could just sit and watch him for hours, quite happily. They're frustrating creatures!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #142
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Modern parenting is hard, we pay a lot of attention to our kids and they don't spend enough time with other kids so the parents get absolutely crushed. It's our own fault though.

My personal time is 9pm to 1030pm, 4 nights a week. I play Gran Turimo online and that's how I unwind. Well until the inevitable brazilian goes all kamikazee on me, they really have no idea how to race but are blindingly quick.

This is only new, until the youngest is about 3 to 4, you get no peace, none.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #143
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
OK that's worse than it sounds, this is not about sex, she's just shut down.

It may just be the mundanity of family life has hit her, she may not even know it. Kids now front and centre and she doesn't have the energy to be connect. Has her body shape changed, women get pretty sensitive about that and can go quiet.

Either way, poster above was right, it's something in her head.
Yeah, spot on man, spot on.

Tambohamilton, this is about her, not you. You're doing all the right things from what I can see. You're reaching out to her trying to connect, you're expressing your feelings and emotions, you're even in counseling for yourself.

I have some close friends going though a divorce that was spurred by a similar situation. The wife was terrified of the husband leaving but at the same time was unable and unwilling to give him the emotional and physical attention he was very clearly and patiently expressing a need for. They were going to couples counseling and he was seeing someone for one on one counseling. Bottom line, she has some deep rooted emotional issues she's never faced and dealt with from childhood. She's terrified to face them and has elected to shut down and just retreat from her husband and their marriage, instead of going through the pain of addressing what she tried to burry years ago. She got on anti-depressants and made some small changes here and there but ultimately couldn't do the real work and its now all falling apart. He's moved out. Formal divorce papers being drafted. it really sucks. They were together for 30 years. We've all been friends since highschool.

Anyway, bottom line, your partner not being able to bring herself to even give you a hug is 100,000% about her, not you. Think about that for a moment. She cant even give you a hug when you tell her you need one? I mean, I could see some random person on the sidewalk who looked sad and if they said "Hey, I just need a hug", well sure thing, here you go buddy hope you feel better. It literally takes nothing to give someone a hug. So assuming there's not something you're not telling us like she discovered you're secretly a mass murder, this definitely is centered in her head.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #144
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the counselling everyone - really.

I can't claim to be a saint at all, but I don't think I'm a bad guy. I've done nothing 'wrong' in this relationship - no cheating or anything like that. Well, she wants to stay with me and she specifically wanted me to be the father of her children (I literally asked her that when she wanted to have another), so I can't be terrible in her view.

Her childhood was her halcyon days - she loves to go back to her parents house etc... I can't see that there's anything traumatic there. Maybe that's the problem!? I've thought about what the problem might be a lot (too much!) and can reach no conclusion.

That's my thoughts exactly about the situation - I could have got a hug from almost anyone (pre-pandemic) if I was to ask, but she didn't want to. I get on better with my friends, and at times I've got more affection from them too...just not in any sort of romantic way. Hell, I'm getting more support from you good people who I've never met, or even seen!

I really hope I can help/persuade her to get whatever help she needs. But her solution to feeling bad is to withdraw. She hasn't talked to anyone about our relationship problems, that I know of, for example. I talk to anyone who will listen

I still think she's an amazing person...I just missed/ignored any warning signs early on I guess.

I hope your friends are managing to part ways peacefully. Got to be painful for them and awkward for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #145
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Thanks for the counselling everyone - really.

I can't claim to be a saint at all, but I don't think I'm a bad guy. I've done nothing 'wrong' in this relationship - no cheating or anything like that. Well, she wants to stay with me and she specifically wanted me to be the father of her children (I literally asked her that when she wanted to have another), so I can't be terrible in her view.

Her childhood was her halcyon days - she loves to go back to her parents house etc... I can't see that there's anything traumatic there. Maybe that's the problem!? I've thought about what the problem might be a lot (too much!) and can reach no conclusion.

That's my thoughts exactly about the situation - I could have got a hug from almost anyone (pre-pandemic) if I was to ask, but she didn't want to. I get on better with my friends, and at times I've got more affection from them too...just not in any sort of romantic way. Hell, I'm getting more support from you good people who I've never met, or even seen!

I really hope I can help/persuade her to get whatever help she needs. But her solution to feeling bad is to withdraw. She hasn't talked to anyone about our relationship problems, that I know of, for example. I talk to anyone who will listen

I still think she's an amazing person...I just missed/ignored any warning signs early on I guess.

I hope your friends are managing to part ways peacefully. Got to be painful for them and awkward for you.
How was the sex pre children? Post partum is a real thing and it does pretty crazy stuff. If you've noticed a distinct change pre and post kids in your sex life, I'd start there maybe. And if you didn't....why did you stay?? Whatever made you stay is likely what should keep you now. But I think you should stay for the kids sake. These are formative years.

Edit: Also, what would / has she said about you getting that desire filled by someone else? I'm not suggesting that, mind you, actually, I wouldn't suggest that, but curious what she would say. If she isn't physically attracted to you, what would be her reason for not wanting you to get that filled by another woman? Maybe she does actually care for you, but its this post partum crap that is screwing with her head.

To re-emphasize - do not go to another woman. More just curious why she wouldn't like it.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #146
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

The sex early on was great. But tailed off fast. Not much change pre/post kids. It's just been a gradual transition to where we are now really. Only major event that I feel had an effect was when her parents discussed selling their house (where she grew up) - that was a step change for the worse, but I wanted to support her through that, with the assumption that everything would get better again. That's all I've been doing for years really - hanging on in the hope that things will get better. It's in the last few months that I've learned and realised that things won't, or at least are very unlikely to, get back to how they were in the early days. That has made me feel trapped and more than a little hopeless...

Like I say, I do think she's awesome, but it's the kids that are keeping me here now. Without them, I'd be out of here, definitely. I need to get back to believing we can fix this, otherwise I'll probably end up being pretty grumpy etc...I don't want that.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #147
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Difficult question, how's she handle the kid, is parenting crushing her and she leans on you heavily or she tackles it easily?

I ask as you are posting messages that feel like she is going to be a handful as she cannot handle life's challenges and you're gonna haver to carry the family and/or deal with the fall out of her feeling overwhealmed.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #148
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

No; shes a great mum...much more patient than me. She generally gets through life fine, but I also get the impression she struggles with motivation etc similar to me. She has said in the past that she's probably had undiagnosed depression. But last I asked she felt 'fine'...which of course is most likely to mean not fine, in my experience.

I guess the reason why I'm daunted by anything happening is that she bottles stuff up and withdraws and goes quiet when bad things happen. She didn't talk to her parents for a year after they mentioned selling their house - just 'couldnt face it'. I mean, all she needed to say was 'please don't do that; I really need this house as my safe place and I don't know where I'd go if I couldnt go there'. But instead it was zero communication for a year. She's normally very rational though, which is something I really like about her!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #149
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The reality of parental responsibility can be confronting, i know at times, i mean i love my kids, but man, would honestly do anything for a week to myself, just alone.
There is nothing better than peace and silence.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #150
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Yes, I think it's something relating to the mundanity/familiarity/etc of normal life. Her body hasn't changed very much, I don't think, but it's possible that there's something that bothers her there. Honestly, I think she suffers from depression a bit - similar to me. She spends too much of her day scrolling through the internet, IMO...just lost her spark a fair bit.
Have you grabbed her phone on her?
Im not trying to suggest this is a healthy thing to do, but do you suspect she is cheating some how?
What makes me say this is the internet provides easy access for this crap, and depression with instant gratification from someone else can be addicting on its own.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #151
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't think so, no. If I was concerned about that, there are other ways I could check internet activity...but I don't feel the need. I hope I'm not wrong there, but she's always been very strongly against cheating - she was cheated on before.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #152
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

One word: Perimenopause

My wife and I have been together since 1995 and married in 1999. We have a 16 y/o and a 12 y/o. I'm 46 and she's 45.

Back in October 2017 (she's 42 at the time), she confided in me that she might want something "different", possibilby a divorce. She said she hadn't been sexually interested for a few months and thought it might be a sign as the feeling (or lack thereof) might indicate it was time to move on. This made her quite distraught as she came from a divorced home and she still suffered from the seperation anxiety of her dad leaving when she 5; a dad she was very close with and one that died in 2009 of a massive heart attack. When she told me her feelings, I was completely blindsided and so damn confused.

For the next month, I was walking on egg shells and thinking deeply about how things could have gone so wrong. I was so confused and sad. Then I started thinking back to about a year or so earlier, when she started getting night sweats, having a hard time sleeping, and her period becoming erratic. I did note a minor mood chnage with her, but nothing alarmingly to me. I did some researching and stumbled across "perimenopause". I had heard of menopause, but not perimenopause which is what leads into menopuase. During this time, a woman goes through some pretty significant hormone changes as they transition to menopause. For some woman, the hormone imbalance can get really wonky. This can lead to confusion, exhaustion, depression, wild changes in rational thought, becoming self-centered, seeking complete independence, wanting a major life change, becoming very testy with small things, seeing relationships as confining, thoughts of divorce, and so on. More women get divorced during this time in their lives (35 to 50) than any other point. Perimenopause is believed to be the result of many divorces as the woman thinks she wants something different and the man is confused, becomes angry, and figures she's just "crazy". The real kicker is some women hardly experience any affects and some experience severe affects. My wife is text book. Even worse, for some women, perimenopause can last up to 10 years. Yikes!

I didn't bring any of this up to my wife at first as I didn't want to rock the boat. About 2 months in, she would say she felt like she was going crazy and would lose track of her thoughts and focus. I asked her if had heard of perimenopause and its effects. She said she did but didn't know much about it. At first, she didn't want to believe what she was reading because she felt it downplayed what she was feeling and going through. After a few weeks, she started coming around to the idea that perimenopause may be the root of much of what she was experiencing given the just 1 year earlier, our relationship was quite solid.

Between the winter and 2017 and all of 2018, it was quite touch and go with us. Her sex drive did come back in early 2018. Not until maybe the end of 2019 did things really improve between us. This experience is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever gone though on so many levels. I could write a book about it. Patience, understanding, and honesty was the key to working it all out. My wife is still deep into perimenopause and still have ups and downs but she has embraced the experience and transition.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      11-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #153
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Very interesting. I don't think I've noticed any if those symptoms in her...or at least none that aren't more likely to be pregnancy related. She has literally said though 'it's not a libido problem'. So...I don't know.

Kudos to you for sticking it out and working through it. I'm glad things are improving!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #154
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

It's a cliche and definitely somewhat of a stereotype but IMHO, men struggle with women's moods. I dunno, seems like men are for the most part pretty consistent creatures but women's needs and worries change quickly and yeah we then stand back and say "fuck me I cannot deal with this crazy, I have had it with the crazy". Cue conflict.

Our first son was alone with me the first time at about a year old, wife was out and he just would not stop wailing, and i mean wailing. Keep in mind I am a doting dad so not like I was absent or anything before that. So anyways, I try EVERYTHING to calm him but no luck but he'd been screaming for an hour, so called the wife in case she had any suggestions. She came home annoyed and I said I tried everything, even a little finger dip of honey to soothe him.

My fucking god, she went absolutely certifiable ballistic, like totally batshit off the wall ballistic because apparently you shouldn't give honey to kids under 2 or they can get some disease or something. I looked it up and it was 1 in 140,000. I retaliated and let fly and it was fully on and she threatened to leave etc...... i just couldn't handle the crazy.
Appreciate 0