BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

12 volt battery problem

I brought my 2016 i8 in on oct 30th because of a error starting drive train malfunction and they said it may be the 12 volt battery and it needs to be replaced.

The dealer still has the car and now is saying that they won't get one from Germany until December 19th!

I'm pretty upset at this point and am now without the car. They said I can have it back until then but felt that is a poor answer since it could happen again!

It would be great to have a new i8 to drive while mine is not avail but this really sucks and I don't have a better answer at this time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ry-61219364597

Looks like you can buy one online.
If you check the vehicle fitment at the bottom of the page it’s the same battery for 26 other BMW cars.

Last edited by Coastali8; 11-12-2019 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I just waited 3 weeks for a 12V battery because of a regenerative braking failure and a drivetrain warning that the engine would not restart.

The day after picking it up, same exact warnings.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
I suspect that the dealer is going by the book and ordering the battery from the mother ship and that they don't seem to have your sense of urgency - Doesn't sound like that "here's a loaner battery while we get yours" giddy up service. It is not a special battery but it is an AGM style with a vent. You could replace the stock battery with about any equal output vented battery as an interim measure but then you need the dealer, unless you are brave, to open the front lid- I have a crew that does this for me. I replaced my battery with a Battery Tender brand Lithium battery BTL24A480CW. I had to build an adapting bracket as the new one is about a quarter of the size. It is also about 30 lb lighter. I have had no issues or difficulties at all. I was thinking that even if I needed to double up, which could be done in the space I would still be only 7lb total.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
betahytumera
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ry-61219364597

Looks like you can buy one online..
..If you check the vehicle fitment at the bottom of the page it’s the same battery for 26 other BMW cars.
Maybe the link is not working!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:23 AM   #6
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTimpa View Post
I brought my 2016 i8 in on oct 30th because of a error starting drive train malfunction and they said it may be the 12 volt battery and it needs to be replaced.

The dealer still has the car and now is saying that they won't get one from Germany until December 19th!

I'm pretty upset at this point and am now without the car. They said I can have it back until then but felt that is a poor answer since it could happen again!

It would be great to have a new i8 to drive while mine is not avail but this really sucks and I don't have a better answer at this time.
Ok final solution is done and the dealer was nice enough to give me a m340 while I was waiting.
Got the car back today as the battery came in early and they said the 12 volt battery was definitely weak. The replacement was a no charge item also. So I'm back on the road again!

I see no reason to try and fit some after market battery in the car and glad I didn't when Bmw took care of all expenses.
Appreciate 0