11-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #155
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Sorry, meant model. I'm needy.
Aah, sorry! It's the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. The first one I received wasn't in focus, so I had to send it back. The second one is razor sharp.

I buy all my cameras from LT Security; US warranties, support and firmware. Worth its weight in gold.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #156
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Aah, sorry! It's the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. The first one I received wasn't in focus, so I had to send it back. The second one is razor sharp.

I buy all my cameras from LT Security; US warranties, support and firmware. Worth its weight in gold.
lol...no worries. Thanks! I somehow got it into my head that your comment about NV not being as good was applied to the 2142. Just wanted to check since that was the dome cam I was going to pull the trigger on.

Still need to settle on NVR vs old PC w/ SW and placement of the latter.

Wifey was working from home last week and saw someone standing in the middle of the front yard and said it seemed like he was walking up to the house until he saw her inside. At least getting the cameras up in the immediate term since the weather temps are dropping now is a win. I can work the in-home setup in the meantime and at least have a visual deterrent outside.
      11-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #157
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
lol...no worries. Thanks! I somehow got it into my head that your comment about NV not being as good was applied to the 2142. Just wanted to check since that was the dome cam I was going to pull the trigger on.

Still need to settle on NVR vs old PC w/ SW and placement of the latter.

Wifey was working from home last week and saw someone standing in the middle of the front yard and said it seemed like he was walking up to the house until he saw her inside. At least getting the cameras up in the immediate term since the weather temps are dropping now is a win. I can work the in-home setup in the meantime and at least have a visual deterrent outside.
Hold on. Someone made their way into your home when your wife was working from home? That's downright scary.

Remember, you will always be able to see your cameras live if you just power them with an adapter or with a PoE switch. The NVR and the PC will only be for recording. By the way, I'd somewhat advise against getting an old PC. I did that in the beginning. These cameras are quite resource intensive, and my CPU would constantly be pegged at 100% utilization. I bought a brand new Dell XPS and loaded it up and with 9 cameras, am somewhere between 7% and 12%.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      11-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #158
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Hold on. Someone made their way into your home when your wife was working from home? That's downright scary.

Remember, you will always be able to see your cameras live if you just power them with an adapter or with a PoE switch. The NVR and the PC will only be for recording. By the way, I'd somewhat advise against getting an old PC. I did that in the beginning. These cameras are quite resource intensive, and my CPU would constantly be pegged at 100% utilization. I bought a brand new Dell XPS and loaded it up and with 9 cameras, am somewhere between 7% and 12%.
Not into the home, just standing in the front yard about 15-20ft in from the street. I live on an acre lot so he was still a ways from the house structure,but it was definitely a deliberate action. Wifey thought he maybe was walking forward towards the house but didn't remember. She had LOS to him from where she was in the kitchen and moved closer to one of the front windows of the house to get a better look at him. She thinks he saw her or her siloette from where he was. At some point after she had moved to get a closer look at him, he turned around, looked around from where he stood, and proceeded down the street and into to the subdivision behind us.

Could be a nosey neighbors not sure if someone moved in (my subdivision is mostly new construction and there are some spec homes available....plus some people are just nosey). I know some people have been curious what the blue things hanging down from some of the soffits are......they're the bundled up Cat6 cable I ran for each future camera location.

My old PC is from...2009 or 2010....6 core AMD proc w/ 8 GB of RAM, runs Photoshop and does video encoding just fine...although I've never tried both at the same time. I'll probably end up w/ a NVR for simplicity but still try my old computer for fun.

Ended up ordering 7 domes instead of a mix of domes and bullets...all being of the 2142 model. I kinda like it not being obvious where the cameras are pointed and being a little protected if someone tries to change the pointing vector w/ a stick or something. Got 6mm (qty 1, for staring more towards the end of the driveway), 2.8mm (qty for general SA at the front yard, front door, and garage), and 4mm (qty 3, for both side yards + deck entrance/half of back yard). I have a coverage gap on one side of the back yard, but only because I haven't run Eth for another camera location yet. Wrt the 6mm camera, if someone got by and made it to the garage, the camera inside will provide coverage. If I don't like the 6mm in general and want to go wider, I already know where I can repurpose it.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      11-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #159
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Just a small comment on the discussion about NVRs. There are NVRs with PoE capability. The Hikvision NVR I'm running now has 8 ports all PoE capable. But I'm not using any of the NVR ports because I already have a PoE+ switch powering my APs and switches (yes, I have two switches which get their power from PoE). So it was just easier to run everything that needs PoE on that switch.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      11-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #160
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I decided to go with this NVR and 2 Cameras for now, seemed like a good deal and a good time to buy:

Hikvision NVR 4K POE 8ch - $349
http://amzn.to/2jZ6J13

2x DS-2CD2342WD-I - $118
http://amzn.to/2hNSoA1

Probably take me a while to setup but I'd try to update this thread when I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #161
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I decided to go with this NVR and 2 Cameras for now, seemed like a good deal and a good time to buy:

Hikvision NVR 4K POE 8ch - $349
http://amzn.to/2jZ6J13

2x DS-2CD2342WD-I - $118
http://amzn.to/2hNSoA1

Probably take me a while to setup but I'd try to update this thread when I do.
Just know that if you're buying from a non-authorized vendor you won't get any support from Hikvision in the US...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #162
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just know that if you're buying from a non-authorized vendor you won't get any support from Hikvision in the US...
Yup, that was one of the first things I checked. The cameras I bought direct from Hikvision and the NVR seller confirmed that it will get US updates, otherwise it's going straight back to them via amazon.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      11-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #163
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that was one of the first things I checked. The cameras I bought direct from Hikvision and the NVR seller confirmed that it will get US updates, otherwise it's going straight back to them via amazon.
Are you sure on the cameras? If I click on the camera link, it says it's sold by "kangquantaixin".
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #164
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure on the cameras? If I click on the camera link, it says it's sold by "kangquantaixin".
It looks like there a bunch of different suppliers now with lower prices. I did not buy from that supplier you mentioned. Eitherway it's going back if it's not a camera that is supported.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #165
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It looks like there a bunch of different suppliers now with lower prices. I did not buy from that supplier you mentioned. Eitherway it's going back if it's not a camera that is supported.
Any update? Did you get everything up and running?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #166
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any update? Did you get everything up and running?
I have it temp hooked up while I figured everything out, setup remote access, update everything, etc.

Probably start the install over the holidays.

One thing I wanted to ask and haven't looked up yet, is it possible to plug in a POE switch to the nvr then connect some of the cameras to the switch and have the nvr recognize the cameras? or would they need to run directly to the nvr? That would save me a run of multiple cat5 back to the nvr and help me place it in a more ideal location.

Last edited by tdott; 12-22-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #167
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have it temp hooked up while I figured everything out, setup remote access, update everything, etc.

Probably start the install over the holidays.

One thing I wanted to ask and haven't looked up yet, is it possible to plug in a POE switch to the nvr then connect some of the cameras to the switch and have the nvr recognize the cameras? or would they need to run directly to the nvr? That would save me a run of multiple cat5 back to the nvr and help me place it in a more ideal location.
Yes, this will work. Just make sure the cameras and the NVR are on the same subnet.

I have this very setup running in my home. My NVR is connected to my PoE+ switch that is powering my IP cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #168
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My NVR is connected to my PoE+ switch that is powering my IP cameras.
Did you have access each camera directly to ensure the IP Config was correct?

The NVR is a PITA, I went to do the actual install over the holidays running the cat6 and mounting the cameras outdoor and it was a pain.

I had setup one camera already and updated the NVR firmware in my office to make sure I got everything working. It wouldn't recognize the cameras after I decided to change the IP subnet, and installed both the already setup first camera and new 2nd camera. Got the 1 camera I already had setup recognized after I switched the subnet back to what it was. I still can't get a new 2nd camera setup yet. Thinking of maybe sending it back and switching to another system.

I pray for anyone who doesn't understand Tech, this shit is not user friendly even for someone who is familiar with computer networking.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #169
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The NVR is a PITA, I went to do the actual install over the holidays running the cat6 and mounting the cameras outdoor and it was a pain.

I had setup one camera already and updated the NVR firmware in my office to make sure I got everything working. It wouldn't recognize the cameras after I decided to change the IP subnet, and installed both the already setup first camera and new 2nd camera. Got the 1 camera I already had setup recognized after I switched the subnet back to what it was. I still can't get a new 2nd camera setup yet. Thinking of maybe sending it back and switching to another system.

I pray for anyone who doesn't understand Tech, this shit is not user friendly even for someone who is familiar with computer networking.
My experience with Hikvision's initial setup tool has been hit and miss. The software does a scan on your local network to discover the camera. Then you can change the IP address from the tool. I just chose to set my laptop's IP to the same network as the default address of the camera. Makes things so much simpler. At that point, you can just launch the web GUI and configure the settings there.

I've had no problems getting everything working. Occasionally, a camera would lock up and not respond. That all seems to have gone away after I upgraded the firmware on my PoE+ switch. It wasn't a big deal when the camera did lock up. I just remoted into my switch and cycled the port which effectively does a power reset to the camera.

Yes, this stuff can get involved. And that's why there are cloud solutions out there. I very comfortable with this stuff and choose not to be held hostage by a cloud service. Hence Hikvision and the like will be the ones I will use.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      01-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #170
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Then you can change the IP address from the tool. I just chose to set my laptop's IP to the same network as the default address of the camera. Makes things so much simpler. At that point, you can just launch the web GUI and configure the settings there.
Just to clarify here, you need to plug your laptop into the switch or nvr to be on the same network correct?

I can't just be connected to my router and change my IP correct? Because the NVR&Switch are on a different subnet?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #171
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify here, you need to plug your laptop into the switch or nvr to be on the same network correct?

I can't just be connected to my router and change my IP correct? Because the NVR&Switch are on a different subnet?
As long as your laptop and your camera you are trying to configure are connected on the same physical switch. You don't have to make any changes to any existing device you have running on your switch in terms of IP addressing. Many people think you can't have multiple subnets running on the same physical switch. This is false. There are reasons you don't want to have multiple subnets mixed together and there are times when it is appropriate to have multiple subnets mixed together.

Technically, you can plug your laptop directly into the camera. But the camera has to have power. If you have a PoE injector, then you can make this work. Or if you have a wall wart/power brick/power adapter you can plug into the camera, this will work too. I found a wall wart from an old Netgear wireless router I don't use any more which works with the Hikvision cameras. Each Hikvision camera has a 12V power jack as an optional power source.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #172
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

It took a little bit of reading before I got everything running the way I wanted to at my house also, but I saw it as a fun project and I learned a lot along the way. That being said, actually getting the cameras up and running was never the issue. Companies like Nelly's have great PDFs out there that you can download free of charge. For me, the remote access is what took the longest.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #173
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Finally got the new camera added, had to get SADP and it only took a few minutes to activate. Manual never said anything about needing that to get the camera working.

Since getting the camera working, ivms4500 working for remote viewing, less than 24h I can't access the camera remotely, stream not supported error. Get home to take a look, NVR lights are all off, no lights on the POE or LAN port. NVR was working, I can navigate around but the cameras were not connected, had to reboot the NVR to get them back up.

Not looking forward to this type of reliability, for the cost of this stuff I expected better. I'll give it a few more days before I decide to send it back. I have until the end of the month to return it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #174
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Has anyone tried or seen one of the new PanoVu cameras by Hikvision?

https://us.hikvision.com/en/products...cd6d54fwd-izhs

I need two or three cameras in my patio to get the right angles, and I am thinking about trying one of these instead. The price is high, but between two or three cameras and running cat6 to multiple locations, it might end up being worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #175
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Has anyone tried or seen one of the new PanoVu cameras by Hikvision?

https://us.hikvision.com/en/products...cd6d54fwd-izhs

I need two or three cameras in my patio to get the right angles, and I am thinking about trying one of these instead. The price is high, but between two or three cameras and running cat6 to multiple locations, it might end up being worth it.
Figure $300 per camera and drop, and I bet you would break about even. Any footage examples you were able to find of this PanoVu?

I just installed a new camera to watch one of my decks...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #176
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Figure $300 per camera and drop, and I bet you would break about even. Any footage examples you were able to find of this PanoVu?

I just installed a new camera to watch one of my decks...
Just youtube videos, but since I currently have no sound, I am a little confused if it shows each lens as a different camera or if it stitches into one camera. I am hoping you can choose which lenses you want stitched together, and use the other ones as separate cameras.

I have a few of the Hikvision DS-2CD4535FWD-IZH 3MP that I just put up this weekend, I am very impressed so far.

Last edited by dsad1; 06-04-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0