Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

12-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Request: Image Resizing.

Nearly every forum that I go to that uses vBulletin enables image resizing that fits each image to the width of th page as opposed to widening everything to huge proportions. We definitely need it here. It makes nearly every thread damn near impossible to view unless you have a 20 inch monitor.
      12-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Size matters. :wink: I know I'm a guilty party, but I also have a 24" monitor running 1920. I try to post at the 1300x1100 max size, since virtually everybody uses some sort of broadband connection. So, I guess I'm one of the guilty parties. Viewing images at 800x600 seem tiny to me.

One thing to think of is that all of the forums that do "Auto-resize, click to view full size", initially load everything in full size, then they get resized. That takes a good while to do sometimes, and makes the poage load very jumpy, as things are resizing. Personally, I find that annoying. So, it's 6 of one....

I'll post a wee tad smaller sized pics from now on, or if I start a thread with 1300x pics, I'll do the 56k warning in the title.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Yeah, guilty also.
I like to load in at about 950 x whatever. Goldilocks principle...not too big....not too small. But, to coin a phrase, size matters.
Larryn is right about the resizing on big pics and the wait to get them on screen. Resizing should happen before they are posted.

Images can be transferred and resized by using the manage attachments
file...especially helpful when someone is loading in gigundo files- I guess not many people realize this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Well, I don't think you quite understand what I'm getting at here. There are forum settings that automatically resize each image to fit-to-screen (and then give you the option to show the image at the original size). That way no member has to consciously resize each image to certain sizes.

Take a look at this forum page:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...=93550&page=65

You'll note that all the images on the page are huge but once the images have been loaded, the forum resizes the images itself so that each page is easily viewable.
      12-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

If you click on "tools", then "internet options", then "advanced" there is a check box on there (under "Mulitmedia" )for "enable automatic image resizing"

Uncheck that box and the images will remain at their true size.
Hope this helps.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUK36 View Post
If you click on "tools", then "internet options", then "advanced" there is a check box on there (under "Mulitmedia" )for "enable automatic image resizing"

Uncheck that box and the images will remain at their true size.
Hope this helps.

Paul
Ya, you're talking about exactly what I thinking. The only problem is that I use Firefox and I can't seem to find that feature within the Mozilla menus. Maybe there's an add-on I can download...

EDIT: So I checked my settings and FF does have automatic image resizing enabled. Problem is that it won't work for attached images as opposed to linked images. So what I guess I am asking for is to have attached images display as a thumbnail as opposed to the full original size.
      12-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
PaulUK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Sorry, im afraid you've lost me!
Appreciate 0