BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Made mud-flaps for i3 - photos shown

After searching the internet for i3 specific mud flaps without any luck, I decided to just make a set...

My i3 prior to front flaps...

Then, when completed...

First, my i3 is lowered with HR springs, then spaced properly with 15mm front and 20mm rear, putting the wheels where they should have been from the factory. Since I did not want any rocks or other debris getting flung from tires up against the side or lower skirt of my pristine i3, I created this set and it solved all possibility of that.

First, I created templates using cardboard until I got the shape I wanted. I didn't want anything hanging out a mile and looking stupid, just something functional and unobtrusive.

Since the i3 has 4 bolts on the rear side of the fender well, I used them all in this simple mod.

I then transferred the shape to 1/8" pvc plastic - mirror image on each side can be seen...

Cut out with saber saw, drilled holes, then bolted up - literally an hour total with design.

Brian
///M3 2008 Coupe - Melbourne Red, BMW Performance front splitter and rear spoiler, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust w/carbon tips, MS StageII intake, Vossen CV7 20"x9" front 20"x10.5" rear, AiB LED Halo, full interior LED lighting, ZHP shift knob (lighted), black grilles & side lights, 09+ NAV controller, ...
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614885.00
jmg18493.00
      08-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I suspect that'll negatively impact range.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 Rex 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineTuning View Post
After searching the internet for i3 specific mud flaps without any luck, I decided to just make a set...

Then, when completed...

First, my i3 is lowered with HR springs, then spaced properly with 15mm front and 20mm rear, putting the wheels where they should have been from the factory. Since I did not want any rocks or other debris getting flung from tires up against the side or lower skirt of my pristine i3, I created this set and it solved all possibility of that.

First, I created templates using cardboard until I got the shape I wanted. I didn't want anything hanging out a mile and looking stupid, just something functional and unobtrusive.

Since the i3 has 4 bolts on the rear side of the fender well, I used them all in this simple mod.

I then transferred the shape to 1/8" pvc plastic - mirror image on each side can be seen...

Cut out with saber saw, drilled holes, then bolted up - literally an hour total with design.

Brian
Dude that's nice and funny I just got mine also I need to cut them, mine would be blue
      08-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myi3reXhandy View Post
Quote:

Then, when completed...

Brian
Dude that's nice and funny I just got mine also I need to cut them, mine would be blue
Did you make for the back also? I'm planing to do it
      08-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I only made for front. I looked closely at the back a though flaps would cut down water spray behind in the rain, I do not think they are needed in the back. Mine stop 90% of the crap that is lifted from tires.

I want to see yours, post when done.
///M3 2008 Coupe - Melbourne Red, BMW Performance front splitter and rear spoiler, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust w/carbon tips, MS StageII intake, Vossen CV7 20"x9" front 20"x10.5" rear, AiB LED Halo, full interior LED lighting, ZHP shift knob (lighted), black grilles & side lights, 09+ NAV controller, ...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
I only made for front. I looked closely at the back a though flaps would cut down water spray behind in the rain, I do not think they are needed in the back. Mine stop 90% of the crap that is lifted from tires.

I may need to trim them I'm no to
Sure yet as for color I though would be a good match
Attached Images

08-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myi3reXhandy View Post
Quote:

I may need to trim them I'm no to
Sure yet as for color I though would be a good match
I did some trimming and match color
Attached Images