BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Says European Customers Aren't Demanding EVs

In case you wondered what BMW current ambitions are for the EV market:

“There are no customer requests for BEVs. None,” BMW’s director of development, Klaus Frölich, told a shocked round-table interview in Munich on Tuesday. “There are regulator requests for BEVs, but no customer requests.”
[...]
“The shift to electrification is overhyped. Battery-electric vehicles cost more in terms of raw materials for batteries. This will continue and could eventually worsen as demand for these raw materials increases.”
[...]
BMW dived in with its new stand-alone i3 in 2013. It was one of the three best-selling BEVs from 2013 to 2018, but it won't be replaced when its production run ends around 2022.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#18c40819141b
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I think we've known BMW isn't serious about full EV vehicles but its still sad. Its on BMW to build the demand. They should be building the market. Once you go EV you don't want to go back. I won't. But soon BMW won't have a vehicle for me.

Electrification isn't overhyped, not enough manufacturers to doing what needs to be done to build demand. Instead, we have to wait on companies like Tesla and Rivian to prove it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Paul Swanson
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s

Time For, you are exactly correct. No body appreciated what a great electric car could do until Tesla built the Model S. The image was an overgrown golf cart. Its no wonder there was no demand before Tesla. It's a supply side issue, like smart phones. If you build it, they will come. Is there a manufacturer today that is not building or planning an electric car? Having owned an I3S for almost a year I hope to always have at least one BEV. The smoothness and instant response is captivating. I also question the validity of the statement that Europe and are not demanding BEVs. I just heard that Norway is now selling 80% electric cars.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614901.50
      07-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
In case you wondered what BMW current ambitions are for the EV market:

"There are no customer requests for BEVs. None," BMW's director of development, Klaus Frölich, told a shocked round-table interview in Munich on Tuesday. "There are regulator requests for BEVs, but no customer requests."
[...]
"The shift to electrification is overhyped. Battery-electric vehicles cost more in terms of raw materials for batteries. This will continue and could eventually worsen as demand for these raw materials increases."
[...]
BMW dived in with its new stand-alone i3 in 2013. It was one of the three best-selling BEVs from 2013 to 2018, but it won't be replaced when its production run ends around 2022.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#18c40819141b
Didn't the model 3 outsell the 3 series from introduction on the continent? Granted, some of that is pent up demand, but demand is demand. Odd thing for BMW to say.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
I am not sure this guy is on track tbh, But also kudos on him admitting they are holding back EVs for selling SUV where they have their greatest profits, "forcing" people into SUV for extreme overprice for what that type of car that is and can do well played fooling the people.

I Have always wondered what is the point is of these SUV's as Clarkson from top gear once said about the BMW X6 what is the point of this car? It can't do off road, it is terrible on the road & it ain't a track car and it wasn't much more practical then the regular estate car. And now we are seeing bunch of X6/X5 m50d and M versions of them rolling on the streets in cities consuming 1,3-1,5 l/km i guess if you like paying so much for fuel then go for it.

But from my viewpoint he also did acknowledge a thing that is true for example in the Scandinavian countries we are moving fast towards BEV fleets but unfortunately if BMW doesn't want to produce fully electric cars with the same type of standard as the famous 3 series with top range, performance and being as good a 3 series is minus the engine ofc and sound but just in driving capabilities but in BEV form.

Then for my part the BMW i3s will probably be my last BMW. Next car will probably be an Audi/Tesla just hope Audi pulls them self together and make an awesome BEV with the size of the Audi RS3 Sedan that car always tempted me but was never a big fan because audis always had this issue with cornering fast and the car not always wanting to listen to you the driver and where it should go when you point it in a certain direction at high speeds.

But we shall see how long it will take before BMW gets punished for this statements coming surprisingly from the Chief Engineer.

Or is OPEC shitting their pants with the EV community growing so large so fast that they are plunging money in to lobbying for ICE vehicles still. (not counting construction equipment, trucks, busses and such) referring to personal transport cars.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
I Have always wondered what is the point is of these SUV's as Clarkson from top gear once said about the BMW X6 what is the point of this car? It can't do off road, it is terrible on the road & it ain't a track car and it wasn't much more practical then the regular estate car.
The SUV is the vehicle for people who swore they would never own a station wagon (estate car) in the 1970's, or a minivan in the 1980's. By calling it a SPORT utility vehicle, it is suddenly cool to drive one!

Quote:
Or is OPEC shitting their pants with the EV community growing so large so fast that they are plunging money in to lobbying for ICE vehicles still. (not counting construction equipment, trucks, busses and such) referring to personal transport cars.
Who do you think is funding the media coverage and Internet troll farms whenever a Tesla bursts into flames, gets into an accident, or the driver does something stupid with autopilot engaged? Most likely auto unions, dealer associations (since Tesla doesn't have franchised dealerships), and the oil companies.....
      07-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

BMWs CEO was just fired for this stupidity and the exec who mad the statement is out as well.

The market for EVs will grow with battery capacity and this is beyond theoretical.

Even a long time petrol head such as myself have converted. With the new CEO appointment, BMW will refocus and accelerate EV R&D and roll out.

I hope the i4 isn't in need of a redesign and is on track for late 2020 or early 2021. The iX3 is also running a tad late, but should be released next summer.

The new Mini is a joke and won't sell initially, but once the range tops 200 miles, should move some units.

I love my i3, but the tires and stiff ride on urban streets are too much. This next gen of EVs should help wean us from ICE cars.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
This next gen of EVs should help wean us from ICE cars.
It took my wife exactly one day to swear off ICE cars forever when she picked up her new Kia Niro EV last month. It has a 250+ mile range, and can comfortably seat 4 extra-large adults.

The problem is that the next generation is here...and BMW doesn't appear to have a next-generation car in the game right now.....
      07-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
It took my wife exactly one day to swear off ICE cars forever when she picked up her new Kia Niro EV last month. It has a 250+ mile range, and can comfortably seat 4 extra-large adults.

The problem is that the next generation is here...and BMW doesn't appear to have a next-generation car in the game right now.....
You're right, they don't. In fact, BMW is so far behind that the brand is seriously risking its future beyond the next 10 years. Like that your wife is enjoying her EV.

The CEO should have been canned in late 2017. Instead, the company builds the two stupidest cars it ever could in the X7 and 8 Series. In 5 years, no one will want the X7 and the sales will tank and the 8 is a car that no one asked for nor needs. BMW is starting to look very old school and is risking young buyers.

The new Audi and Merc SUVs are both very plush and futuristic inside, the barely over 200 mile range isn't a big deal. One battery refresh and both will be well ahead of the iX3.

BMW should be in panic mode. Having an exec with the balls to say at an EV event that EVs were overhyped was insubordination. I'm in Atlanta and EVs are literally everywhere and probably nearing 5% or so of the auto market. In 5 years it'll look more like 20% and this is the Deep South. Once the Northeast catches on, race is over.

Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3487.00
      07-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:

You're right, they don't. In fact, BMW is so far behind that the brand is seriously risking its future beyond the next 10 years. Like that your wife is enjoying her EV.

The CEO should have been canned in late 2017. Instead, the company builds the two stupidest cars it ever could in the X7 and 8 Series. In 5 years, no one will want the X7 and the sales will tank and the 8 is a car that no one asked for nor needs. BMW is starting to look very old school and is risking young buyers.

The new Audi and Merc SUVs are both very plush and futuristic inside, the barely over 200 mile range isn't a big deal. One battery refresh and both will be well ahead of the iX3.

BMW should be in panic mode. Having an exec with the balls to say at an EV event that EVs were overhyped was insubordination. I'm in Atlanta and EVs are literally everywhere and probably nearing 5% or so of the auto market. In 5 years it'll look more like 20% and this is the Deep South. Once the Northeast catches on, race is over.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
I'm in Atlanta and EVs are literally everywhere and probably nearing 5% or so of the auto market. In 5 years it'll look more like 20% and this is the Deep South. Once the Northeast catches on, race is over.
Excited to hear that EVs are catching on in Atlanta. EV's are everywhere here in Hollywood but I know this place can be a bit unrepresentative of the market. The parking lots at my work are 5-8% Tesla +2-3% other EV. If we counted new cars only I'd guess LA is +10% EV already.
Appreciate 1