BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
anki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

2019 i3 Sport Package vs i3s

Hey guys, I'm a F15 owner, and looking forward to add an i3 due to the 100kms everyday commute. I'm dealing with a sales advisor and going through options, they have an i3 with sports package, I'm wondering how different it would be from an i3s.

Attached is the feature sheet.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX

Looks like a nice set of options. If I didn't know better, I would think this list was for the "S" model.

Even sounds like the fender flares for the "S" model.

If it has a sport mode button, then sounds like you have everything except maybe the price for the "S".
Appreciate 1
anki122.50
      08-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
anki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBNB View Post
Looks like a nice set of options. If I didn't know better, I would think this list was for the "S" model.

Even sounds like the fender flares for the "S" model.

If it has a sport mode button, then sounds like you have everything except maybe the price for the "S".
Don't think there is a sport mode button
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am wondering what they are going to supply for the fender flares? If they are swappable between the standard and "S" models, that would be a nice upgrade to assist in hiding wider wheels and tires (future upgrades for my 2015).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anki View Post
Hey guys, I'm a F15 owner, and looking forward to add an i3 due to the 100kms everyday commute. I'm dealing with a sales advisor and going through options, they have an i3 with sports package,

That it interesting - i3 cars do NOT have a "sports" package in the US.
I browsed bmw.ca web site, and it appears "sports" pack in Canada is $1.4-1.9K (CAD), and buys you 20" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anki View Post
I'm wondering how different it would be from an i3s.
Completely different.
20" wheels might come with summer (vs. all-season) tires, but wont include the firmer suspension, nor the stronger motor, nor the fender flares.

Frankly, if i3s is not in the cars for you, I would stay away from 20" wheels as well, unless you are into eye candy.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Deho
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 MINI Countryman SE

Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I browsed bmw.ca web site, and it appears "sports" pack in Canada is $1.4-1.9K (CAD), and buys you 20" wheels.

Completely different.
20" wheels might come with summer (vs. all-season) tires, but wont include the firmer suspension, nor the stronger motor, nor the fender flares.
Correction here from a canadian who just ordered a new i3 with the Sport Package.

The package DOES include the 20" wheels, firmer suspension, 10mm lower stance and the fender flares. It DOES NOT include the stronger motor and sport mode.

Since it was way cheaper to get the Sport Package than the full i3S treatment and that it got me what most reviewers say are the most important improvements over the basic i3, it seems like a good deal.

I include a picture of the regular i3 with Sport Package here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
anki122.50
jmg18657.00
      08-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post

Frankly, if i3s is not in the cars for you, I would stay away from 20" wheels as well, unless you are into eye candy.

HTH,
a
I agree with the 20 inch wheels in the winter.

The only positive is that the snow in Vancouver is minimal and usually it rains over the winter. I picked up a set of winter wheels and tires and had them on the car for about 4 months and never saw any snow to test them out. I did however, dislike like the feel of them as they were twitchy on the highway and quite harsh compared to my 20's. My other company car ran with summers all year. I didn't have to change to the winters on that car.

Typically, we get a few weeks of cold weather and when the roads get scary, I tend to park the BMW and drive the Honda. I am not to interested in playing bumper cars with a carbon fibre and plastic car.

I really like the fender flares and seeing them on the non "s" model shows that they can be installed for those who want to look at wider wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Very interesting!

It even has the regular front bumper.

I have an I3S.. the suspension and wider wheels/tires dramatically change the character of the i3, especially on the highway.

The irony of the package being cheaper than an "S" is that the option you didnt get (the extra power) is really just a software thing.. the motor is the same regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

My preferred dealership has a sport model BEV on the lot asking $59,860 CDN.

It sounds just like the car noted in anki's spec's listed above. I am not too sure how that compares with a "S" with REX but a quick search put the i3s at about $63,000 CDN. Subtract a couple of thousand to delete the REX and they are pretty close. I got the price of the "S" off the bmw.ca website and the price of the "Sport" off craigslist.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Deho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
The irony of the package being cheaper than an "S" is that the option you didnt get (the extra power) is really just a software thing.. the motor is the same regardless.
Yeah I know! The exterior look is also slightly different. But the i3S wasn't worth it to me compared to the regular i3 with the sport package.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Deho
Private
Rep

Quote:
My preferred dealership has a sport model BEV on the lot asking $59,860 CDN.

It sounds just like the car noted in anki's spec's listed above. I am not too sure how that compares with a "S" with REX but a quick search put the i3s at about $63,000 CDN. Subtract a couple of thousand to delete the REX and they are pretty close. I got the price of the "S" off the bmw.ca website and the price of the "Sport" off craigslist.
As of today, when you compare a regular i3 and the i3S with all other options being equal, there is about a 6000$ CAD difference. The sport package is 1400$, so you have to pay 4600$ more than that to get a complete "S". Of course if you compare totally different cars with other options, with special offers and discounts or from other sellers, the difference can be lower or higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deho View Post
As of today, when you compare a regular i3 and the i3S with all other options being equal, there is about a 6000$ CAD difference. The sport package is 1400$, so you have to pay 4600$ more than that to get a complete "S". Of course if you compare totally different cars with other options, with special offers and discounts or from other sellers, the difference can be lower or higher.
I agree, comparing apples to apples is the best way to really get an idea of the cost difference.

It does look like a great set of options for a small up-charge. Check out the one advertised at Langley BMW to see if it and the price will help you with your deal.

Keep us posted on your impressions of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
Deho
Private
Rep

i3 with sport package delivered!

Quote:
Keep us posted on your impressions of the car.
I got my i3 + Sport package delivered!

You can feel the difference right away with the sport package. The car is more planted, more stable at high speed. The lower stance feels good too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TimeFor179.50
      11-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #14
st78bc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Very interesting!

It even has the regular front bumper.

I have an I3S.. the suspension and wider wheels/tires dramatically change the character of the i3, especially on the highway.

The motor is actually different. It has a different bearing assembly (tapered) and its to handle the 15% increase in power and torque. There is a significant increase in noise from the i3s machine (motor) vs. the standard one
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
deniska1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw i3s

Can you please share some info about the “bearing” part being different? Any link to the resource maybe?
Appreciate 0